2016-17 Blaze King Performance Thread (Everything BK)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The cat probe picture above is well after the initial high burn and there are no flames in the fire box. It was at that thermostat setting for about an hour when I noticed how high the cat probe was.
My Jotul Firelights used to have the same behavior. I believe it was because there is some point in a long slow burn, usually in the second hour for me, where the wood gets baked enough that it begins producing volatile gasses at a much higher rate. This is just more fuel for the cat, and the cat temp goes up. One solution was to open the air enough to burn more of these gasses in primary flame, which can often bring down combustor temperature, but I always worried this was putting me into a run-away situation on those old Jotuls.

My experience with my BK's (so far) is that the cat is large enough that I don't see these crazy high probe temperatures when the wood outgassing peaks like this. After all, the Ashford combustor is double the size of the Jotul Firelight 12 combustor, and its a smaller firebox.

All interesting stuff for some folks here, but of little actual use to you, I guess. I'd want to somehow verify that cat probe is correct (eg. pick up a Condar probe of same length), to see how hot it's actually getting, and see what BKVP says about it.

if the stove is new i think it is possible the cat overreacting. mine used to do it but i turn the fan for awhile. after some burns it gets close to the end on the scale but it stays around there for awhile. for how long do you have the stove and how many burns?

I guess I am not sure how long these cats do their overreacting happy dance, but we have had this in for over a month with 450-500 hours on it.

i think is about right. you should start seeing some differences soon. i still getting that sometime. i think due to different type of wood. some out gas more than others and you will get that sometimes.

Check the loading door seal all around for leakage with a dollar bill. It should be difficult/ impossible to withdraw it when the door is latched. Excess air can overhear the cat. Make sure the ash plug is in properly. The cat in my stove went way high when new. After the first month the needle never left the silver zone. New cats are a little overactive but settle out quickly. I would say this is normal.

If anybody disagrees correct me.

My new cats are always a little over reactive for most of a season. I'm on my fifth catalytic stove now, so been there, done that. Just manage their temperature over the first few months, and they'll soon settle in.

Reactions: Gravedigger
Exactly. As an old house nut (I have lived in houses going back to the 1690's), you would not believe the troubles I have seen others have, when sealing up old construction with modern insulation. The builders around here have started to get wise to this, after some atrocious renovations over the last few decades.

If energy efficiency and heating costs are high on your list of concerns, please don't buy an old house.
I'm sure our definitions of "old house" are different. Around here, newer homes are <10 years old. My house would be considered somewhat older at 30 years. Houses like yours simply don't exist around here. Despite being an "older" home, mine was still put together with insulation, vapor barriers, 3-conductor wiring, and double-pane windows. It's not as tight as the newer homes, and attic/crawspace ventilation has improved vastly since it was made. It can, however, benefit greatly from additional weatherstripping and sealing. I do still need to improve my attic ventilation, as I get 55 degree temperature deltas from outside air in the summer.

One thing that helps here is our climate. We do NOT get any rain or humidity in the summer. You guys over east have entirely different vapor barrier strategies and requirements.

Reactions: Gravedigger
All....

1) Not all thermostat blades have holes. Some models do not.

2) Cats are hyper active when new (1st year especially).

3) Cats getter hotter on low, if the fuel load is plentiful, as a result of low burn resulting in increased residence time of gases in the cat.

Happy Thanksgiving to all friends at hearth.com Now shut off your tablet, pc, iPad etc....and be with your loved ones.

Reactions: drstorm and Ashful
Anyone in Albany NY? I will be there next Tuesday-Thursday. Send pm if interested in free beer....

Reactions: Lokidric
Okay thanks everyone. I will give the cat more time.

Would this be causing lower burn times? I suppose it would.

Anyone in Albany NY? I will be there next Tuesday-Thursday. Send pm if interested in free beer....
A little too far for me(3 hours).
Let us know if you ever come through the Scranton/Wilkes Barre area though.

A little too far for me(3 hours).
Probably next Spring. I try to post meeting/drink invites here when possible .

Reactions: drstorm
That's only about an 2 hrs from me, might be worth taking the ride out that way

I still just can't believe how awesome these stoves are! I Just reloaded after 36 hours, fired right up. So awesome! Been in the 40's in the day and 30's at night.

Reactions: Lokidric
I'm not too far from Albany! Tues is a definite possibility for me :)
Hilton on Lodge Street. PM contact info if you can make it for a drink.

IMG_1904.JPG IMG_2308.JPG
He's got operations down to a science, flips bypass closed when the cats active, then he becomes inactive

Help with princess inspection. What should I look for beyond the obvious over fire or cracks? Never owned a cat stove before.

Going to look at a used princess tomorrow. By all accounts it is in very good condition. The stove is around 6 years old. It has never had the cat changed. Included with the stove is:
8ft class a and cap, roof Jack, ceiling support box, 6ft of double wall stove pipe and a corner hearth. I can get everything for $850. According to the owner it was burned very intermittently and now he's done with wood. Is the pedestal correct? Can legs be added later? Here are a few pics;

01010_hMkOLz7WlbS_600x450.jpg 00505_bBqtjvjbNJ_600x450.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Help with princess inspection. What should I look for beyond the obvious over fire or cracks? Never owned a cat stove before.

Going to look at a used princess tomorrow. By all accounts it is in very good condition. The stove is around 6 years old. It has never had the cat changed. Included with the stove is:
8ft class a and cap, roof Jack, ceiling support box, 6ft of double wall stove pipe and a corner hearth. I can get everything for $850. According to the owner it was burned very intermittently and now he's done with wood. Is the pedestal correct? Can legs be added later? Here are a few pics;

View attachment 188961 View attachment 188963
The metal tab under head of screw is not OEM. Perhaps to hold up fan cord? Check bypass retainers, gaskets and visually inspect combustor.

Pedestal is correct to Princess Classic. No legs cannot be added later. Unless you remove welded on base and fabricate method to attach legs.

I never noticed that tab. Looks like a grounding screw or something. The legs aren't a deal breaker but it does look better with them. Thanks for the tips .

I never noticed that tab. Looks like a grounding screw or something. The legs aren't a deal breaker but it does look better with them. Thanks for the tips .
If it was for grounding, it may have been in a mobile home. I can't tell from the image if it has side shields. They would have been required in a mobile home as well.

Help with princess inspection
Wow - talk about getting a deal, go for it, do the dollar bill test on the by-pass dampers, that should tell you the story of the stove, take the front metal flame shield off and look at the front of the cat *do not remove the cat unless you have a new gasket!! Any cracked bricks can easily be replaced, turn the t-stat (you should feel slight resistance while turning the knob) if you end up getting the stove consider ordering new gaskets, and a convection deck to help the blower, good luck

Great deal. The only common failure that is not easily repaired is a melted bypass gasket retainer.

Status
Not open for further replies.