2024 Garden Thread!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
My rhubarb is just starting to come up. Interesting thought of harvesting it early. It’s been putting energy into the roots. I should be able to take some and not hurt anything. I usually wait until June.

Added a second 4x10 hoop house for all the short growing bags. Tomatoes are getting strung up. I have 6 plants setting fruit. Some doubles may get yanked. How many tomatoes do I really need;)

IMG_0415.jpeg

I just landed in Seattle, and it's much, MUCH greener here already than on Long Island. Most Trees have full or significant green on them here.
That's pretty normal. This has not been a particularly warm spring.

I was surprised; similar latitude and also near the sea, but big difference.

It is a bit odd. Actually, Seattle is much further north. Long Island is around latitude 40ºN. Seattle is at 47.6ºN, which is north of Bangor, Maine. Odder still, Paris is a little further north of Seattle, more like the WA/Canada border.

Reactions: stoveliker
Corn and squash plants are in the ground and looking good. The test tomatoes and peppers are doing well outside under cover too. We have a couple of cooler nights (41º) predicted so I will be planting the rest of the tomatoes under remay fabric next week. Baby carrots are sprouting and the broccoli is about 10" tall.

We'll be harvesting the outdoor crop of tatsoi tomorrow. It looks beautiful, but is starting to flower.