25-PDVC auger problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

breklaw

Oct 21, 2008
Central MA
We,, I thought I'd done myself in. Was having some moaning this week, after some other noises caused me to take the lower auger motor off and tighten up the setscrews on the collar between the motor and the auger shaft. Noticed a lot of play in the auger, found and tightened loose set crews on bearing collar. Thats when the moaning started. So I scraped the mouth of the lower auger, twice, making sure it was clean. Still moaning. Can't tell where the auger is hitting the tube though. Pulled the lower auger and bearing block, found the bearing rough feeling,dry perhaps, lubricated it along with the top block, took some burrs off the auger, reversed the block so the grease fitting is accessible, and re-assembled. I tried, and tried everything possible, for 3 hours, to get that auger tightened up without it rubbing on the sides and top of the tube. I was just about to cry wolf to the list, but put it back together for the last time without thinking about it at all, and it worked perfectly. SILENT!

Is there a preferred way to assemble the augers to make aligning them easier?

All the best!!
Bill

breklaw said:
We,, I thought I'd done myself in. Was having some moaning this week, after some other noises caused me to take the lower auger motor off and tighten up the setscrews on the collar between the motor and the auger shaft. Noticed a lot of play in the auger, found and tightened loose set crews on bearing collar. Thats when the moaning started. So I scraped the mouth of the lower auger, twice, making sure it was clean. Still moaning. Can't tell where the auger is hitting the tube though. Pulled the lower auger and bearing block, found the bearing rough feeling,dry perhaps, lubricated it along with the top block, took some burrs off the auger, reversed the block so the grease fitting is accessible, and re-assembled. I tried, and tried everything possible, for 3 hours, to get that auger tightened up without it rubbing on the sides and top of the tube. I was just about to cry wolf to the list, but put it back together for the last time without thinking about it at all, and it worked perfectly. SILENT!

Is there a preferred way to assemble the augers to make aligning them easier?

All the best!!
Bill
Try this link. http://www.englanderstoves.com/manuals/ReplacingAndAligningAugers.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.