Harman P43 noisy auger!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MrJitters

Hearth Supporter
Jun 10, 2008
Vermont
I have started noticing a noise coming from what I believe is the auger bearing. Forcing some silicon oil under can pressure seems to have quieted it down quite a bit but I see this as only a bandaid to the permanent fix of replacing the auger. Sooner or later.

It looks like a fairly straight forward job. I am handy with the tools so I have no reservation about tackling it. My question, has anyone here done this before? Anything I should be aware of going in? Should I replace the auger motor while doing this? The motor seems fine at this point. My only paranoid concern would be about making sure the auger has the proper alinement so not to rub on the tube. I suspect this assembly would be pretty much self aligning as one would tighten down the clamp around the bearing shoulder.

This is my 12th winter with the Harman so I expect these kinds of issues at this age.

Anyhoo, any advice from the pellet burning experts here would be appreciated.

Thanx and cheers.

I have not seen a auger bearing go out before. If you pull the auger motor off the shaft and turn the auger by hand it should turn with minimal effort. Empty pellets from the stove and hand turn. When I have had to replace augers it is because the end of the auger flite has worn back to the end of the shaft. Usually a auger noise is from the motor not the auger itself. I assume you keep your fines box on feeder cleaned out? Right behind the circuit board.

Well, I am not sure now. Quiet today with the feed rate at almost 3. Temps 15F below. Hard for me to judge exactly where the sound is coming from. I agree, odd the bearing should go. I repaired and rewound electric motors in the Navy and my first job after I got out so it struck me as unusual a bearing turning at around 4 RPM would have much stress put to it as opposed to 100HP 3600 RPM Three Phase motors feeding salt water into evaporators. LOL.

Yes, fines box emptied after every 2 tons of pellets.

Thanx for the reply. Cheers.

Could you have carbon buildup at the end of the auger? Cold outside temps require hotter stove.....thus burn off the carbon? Just a thought