1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

25 PDVC E-1 code.... just when you think it's fixed

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by kenstogie, Feb 19, 2013.

  1. kenstogie

    kenstogie Feeling the Heat

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2012
    Messages:
    416
    Loc:
    Albany (ish)
    Just when you think you have it fixed….

    Been plagued with a persistent yet intermittent E-1 code on my 25 PDVC.

    It will run fine for 2-4 days then kick and E-1 code. Then it will only work for 2 hours, E-1 code. Then maybe again in a hour or two, maybe not. Then fine for a couple of days then it will kick the E-1 code out again. Then it works fine for 2-3 days, a day, whatever. It burns well and produces nice heat.


    Here’s what I have done so far……

    -I cleaned the venting thoroughly, (brushed from stem to stern and LBT’d too)
    -cleaned the vacuum switch hole in the ash area
    -checked all the componants (exhaust fan, Auger Motors U/L, Room fan) and are operational .
    -will check the vacuum hoses (they certainly look fine but will triple check)
    -What else can I do/check??
    -I know I could short the Vacuum switches for diagnostics but from a safety standpoint I don’t really feel comfortable with doing it if I am going to let the thing run for a while.

    What’s the best way to remove those darn springs holding the hoses on anyway?? I have 20 pairs of pliers but none of them seem to work.

    Many thanks and remember Spring is coming!!

    Helpful Sponsor Ads!





  2. imacman

    imacman Guest

    Only thing I can figure is the vacuum switch is flaky. Like it's right on the verge of tripping all the time and a gust of wind outside or something like that will cause it to trip.

    I wouldn't have a problem running the unit for a day or 2 w/ it bypassed as long as the stove is squeaky clean. If bypassing the vacuum switch cures the problem, then I'd replace it.

    I forget how old your unit is, and is it under warranty? If so, call Englander and see if they'll ship you a new vacuum switch to try.
  3. kenstogie

    kenstogie Feeling the Heat

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2012
    Messages:
    416
    Loc:
    Albany (ish)
    Well it's a 2005. Works quite well other than this.
    UPDATE:::
    It happened yet again and sooooo
    ....... I took off the back and checked all the vacuum hoses (removed, inspected and reseated) and

    electrical connections (removed, inspected and reseated) and it has run with out interuption for 3 days. I don't know if that was it but I hope so. I will say that the vacuum hoses don't seem to really have much of a bite onto the connectors but I did push them even farther on. I also have to say that I am not in love with the vacuum hose clamps they use though I understand why.
  4. Harvey Schneider

    Harvey Schneider Minister of Fire

    Joined:
    Oct 9, 2012
    Messages:
    1,176
    Loc:
    Southbury, CT
    I replaced the vacuum hoses with silicon rubber vacuum hoses and the spring clamps with automotive type band clamps. The clamps were not really necessary , the hoses grip the connections quite well, but I didn't want to risk a leak.
  5. kenstogie

    kenstogie Feeling the Heat

    Joined:
    Oct 2, 2012
    Messages:
    416
    Loc:
    Albany (ish)
    Well hopefully one was just pinched or maybe a bad electical connection too, though everything "looked" fine.

Share This Page