25-PDVC Vent Pipe vs Stove temps

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JLF001

Hearth Supporter
Jan 19, 2009
Central Maine
Stove: 25-PDVC with Thermostat hook-up
Vent pipe: Simpson, Pipe adapter into Tee, 1' pipe, 3' pipe, elbow, 1' pipe through wall thimble, 1' pipe to cap.
OAK: Supplied OAK exciting through the wall about 1 1/2' above stove connection (Had to be sure to get above the snow line).

Had the stove set on 9 9. Burned for about 2 hours then went into low burn (assume 1 9) for about 45 minutes. Then went to high burn (9 9) for about 1 1/2 hours. I now have it on 5 5 (And using the oil furnace) as the blower was getting annoying. It seems the vent pipe is always hotter then the stove is. Even on 9 9 I can still touch the stove just above the blower vent. Wouldn't want to leave my hand there to long but a few seconds is OK. The vent pipe on the other hand, I can touch this just under the elbow and would not want to leave my hand there for even a second. Even outside the pipe is hot, though it cools off before the vent cap (It was only 15 outside when I checked it).

I do not have anyway to get any accurate measurements, but did not expect the vent pipe to be quite this hot. Especially since it only has a clearance requirement of 3", and the stove has a 6" requirement.

Just wondering if this is normal. If this is how it is going to run, I may need to find a way to get this heat off the pipe and into the room.

you may want to heed my advice from your first post. what is happening is the hot gasses are being forced out the ventpipe before they can heat up the heat exchangers. try my suggestion of trying to seat the baffle plate tightly against the back wall. you'll get WAY more heat out of it. I used to have to run on 9/9 during sub 15 weather. now I can run it on 5 and get the same output. Sounds like magic, but honestly it works. can't hurt anything to try........

OK, I had leveled it but just hit the off button and check that out. Makes complete sense to me so hopefully that is the problem.

I don't understand why they manufacture the plates with such play in them. I think it was Pelletizer who permanantly bent his lower tabs in to accomplish this. I plan to do the same whenever I get the chance. My 8 penny nail works just fine for now.... good luck and let us know how you make out.

the baffle plate needs to be removed for cleaning out

I run my stove on 1-2 most of the time and it keeps my home at 65-75 degrees, depending on the outside temps. The 3 bottom buttons are at 5-5-1. Make sure your baffle plate is in properly. It should not be leaning towards the front of the stove it should fit flat against the back of the fire box.

Check this link out, you will find the baffle plate AKA impingement plate about half way down the page.

http://www.englanderstoves.com/store/25-PDVC_Parts.html#76

I checked the plate and it 'seemed' to be in there correctly. There was some play in the bottom so I stuck a couple of nails in it. The top seems to be leaning forward a little bit now so I may need to play with that a little when I get a chance.

It has only been running for a few minutes on 5 5 and the flames look hotter than they were before and seems to be covering more of the pot. The stove seems to be hotter than it was before but I will have to wait an hour or so to get everything back up to temp again.

Maybe England needs to manufacture some wedges that will accomplish this. This way they would not need to put more expense into tighter tolerances but yet get a better burn.

Just to let you know, my vent pipe is also quite hot. I can't hold my hand on it for more than a few seconds. The front part of my stove (not the part where the pellets are stored) is also hot, like if you were to wet your finger to see if an iron is hot enough.

This morning I cut a couple pieces about 5" long off from an old coat hanger to wedge in between the top of the plate and the front of the stove on each side. This seems to hold the plate in place. It wold be better of the metal was a bit more "springy", but it will at least let me know if it helps.

The stove has been running on 9 9 for about 45 minutes and the stove seems a bit hotter. The flames cover more of the pot and look hotter.

I was looking and feeling around the stove and noticed air blowing out of the right side a few inches from the front. After looking around with a mirror there seems to be a pencil size hole in the corner of the welding.

You have the side lip that comes in from the back, On the front you have an area extending to the back about 6" that is almost flush with the lip coming along the side from the back. The front then goes up to what appears to be the blower housing. There is a spot where it stops extending upward and where it meets the side panel. The hold is right in the corner between the 3 welding lines.

Should this hole be here for some strange reason, or did they just mess up the welding? If it should not be there what could I do to plug it? My finger does not work for very long as it gets hot! :)

Just got an oil delivery as I was typing this, since 12/24:

160.3 gallons @ $2.489 = Ouch!

Guess she was thirsty during that -30 weather!

I think that hole is part of the air wash for the glass, I there should be a matching one on the left.

As for the setting, I find anything above 5,5 just seams to eat through pellets without any more heat. I normally run my stove at 3,3 when I get home from work and turn it down to 2,2 at night (about 15F outside) if its above 25F I can leave it on 1,1. Those days that it was single digits I was running 4,4 Does anyone else find the stove seams inefficient at the higher settings

Also my vent pipe can get very hot too, makes me wish I ran the vertical part inside the house to reclaim that heat.

This is under the stove, The motor housing mounts to some steal that is welded onto the stove, the air is blowing unto the floor under/beside the stove. Seems to me as this would be about the same as drilling a 3/8" hole into the blower housing. :)

Sorry if my previous post was not clear on the exact location.

JLF001 said:
This is under the stove, The motor housing mounts to some steal that is welded onto the stove, the air is blowing unto the floor under/beside the stove. Seems to me as this would be about the same as drilling a 3/8" hole into the blower housing. :)

Sorry if my previous post was not clear on the exact location.

there are a couple holes in the bottom of the blower housing which are there to alow us to drain shot from the blasting machine out of the housing. they do allow a bit of air to blow out of them while the stove is running. these holes are meant to be there and do not affect the function of the stove nor do they compremise the firebox.

CDodge04 said:
I could have sworn in an earlier post that someone said it was suppose to lean forward...was that just on the bigger PDV?

yes, the pdv leans forward

At about this point I am about ready to package the thing up and put it into storage. Maybe someday I can find a use for it. It sure isn't any good at heating the house. If I run it on 2 4 and 9 3 1 then I can get enough heat to keep the room the stove is in around 70 when the outside temperature is 20 or so. When the temp outside starts getting colder so does the room. I have tried 3 4 and 4 4 but the thermometer on the wall says the temperature in the room drops.

PunKid8888 said:
I think that hole is part of the air wash for the glass, I there should be a matching one on the left.

As for the setting, I find anything above 5,5 just seams to eat through pellets without any more heat. I normally run my stove at 3,3 when I get home from work and turn it down to 2,2 at night (about 15F outside) if its above 25F I can leave it on 1,1. Those days that it was single digits I was running 4,4 Does anyone else find the stove seams inefficient at the higher settings

Also my vent pipe can get very hot too, makes me wish I ran the vertical part inside the house to reclaim that heat.

I know where you are coming from ....I usually run at 1,2 or 2,3 any higher then that and it just seems that I have to listen to more noise from the stove without a significant amount of extra heat.....and yes I did install an inside vertical pipe ...might as well let that help in heating the home as have it piss all the good stuff outside....lol....

Status
Not open for further replies.