25-pdvc wall thermostat not communicating

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Is the stat a low-voltage?
Has the heat range been set at 9 ?

Reactions: jjam
And for a really dumb follow up, did you pull the jumper?

Eric

Reactions: johneh
I think it’s a low voltage thermostat it’s a RT221B programmable thermostat and I have tried setting it to 9-9 and it stays at that setting and gets hot and uses a lot of pellets. It seems like the thermostat isn’t communicating with the pellet stove and if I turn the thermostat off it will still run fine.
Yes I removed the jumper

Last edited:
Your stove does not have an on-off type of capability it's on high, when heat
call is satisfied it goes to low burn
I don't know if that stat is compatible.
I am old school and do not like programmable stats
Hopefully some one will come along with more knowledge than I have
By the way welcome to the forum

I turn the thermostat off it will still run fine.
What does fine mean? With thermostat off stove should run on low.
If thermostat wires from stove are not hook to thermostat what does the pellet stove do? Should run on low.
Make sure the Thermostat wire connections on the board are not touching each other and jumper is indeed pulled.
Stove does not instantly respond it could take 5 or more minutes before you see any change in fire.

https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads...l-25-ip-55-shpip-55-trpip-help-please.194848/

Last edited:
The older PVDC and PDV models seem to have varied. I've heard some talk that they only had Hi / Lo mode. For whatever reason, my PDV (2009) has On / Off as well. That said, I don't know if its somethign that shows up but isn't programmed or will acutally do it. I've never checked as I only wanted hi / lo mode.

To the O/P: have you tried pulling your thermostat wires and checking for continuity across the plug? Have you checked at the stat? Turning the stat up and down (hearing it click) and checking that the contacts open and close? Somewhere you have the stove thinking there's a call for heat.

Eric

Reactions: johneh and ARC
If stove/fire does not go to 1 with thermostat off, or wires unhooked it is not the thermostat problem. You have to put stove into high low mode. Are you holding buttons long enough? Also unhook thermostat wires from board with no wires and no jumper stove fire should be on one. Listen to ericofmaine he has more knowledge of this stove then I.

Last edited:
Reactions: ericofmaine
Try factory reset.

Factory reset: unplug stove wait 5 sec. plug back in and within 3 sec push all 3 bottom buttons an hold for 5 sec release and F5 wil show in window. this just put setting back to factory. which should be 5-4-1 and mode for your stove.

Try factory reset.

Factory reset: unplug stove wait 5 sec. plug back in and within 3 sec push all 3 bottom buttons an hold for 5 sec release and F5 wil show in window. this just put setting back to factory. which should be 5-4-1 and mode for your stove.
I have tried that

I haven’t waited that long yet but it also won’t change into high low mode when I unplug and plug back in and press both down buttons

Englander has many versions the same control board some are programed just high low some are high low and on off and some are just on off. Some boards required you to push buttons to select high low and some you only had to pull jumper and hook up thermostat. I am not smart enough to tell you how to know which board you have.

Does your stove have a igniter? Did it ever run on off with just the temperature probe?