2700k LED Bulb For 6" Can Lights in Kitchen

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
I thought I'd see what the local HD has. I see a 6" retrofit led bulb that does 625 lumens for 12.5 watts=50 lumens per watt.
The bulbs I have now are 2700k PAR 38 flourescents kicking out 1200 lumens at 23 watts=52 lumens per watt. Link below is for what they have in store now which are get 1300 lumens out of 23 watts.

What's the deal? Do I have to go with a retrofit can for efficiency and lumen output?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/EcoSmart...-LED-Downlight-ECO-FD6-625L-27K-E26/204412186

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Feit-Ele...k-ESL23PAR38H-ECO-12/100653126?N=bmatZ1z0vvrr

The led in this case is superior due to warm up time, not so much efficiency. Try the Cree models.

Like so many things that look alike but aren't, LEDs are not all the same. I just bought 40 watt equivalent A19 bulbs, 6.5 watts and 800 lumens, 3000K, dimmable = 123 lumens/watt. I am using these to replace par 30 bulbs and am pleased with the results.

What do you mean by "superior warm up time?" These come "on" bright and stay bright.

Weird that when I'm pricing some units they're cheaper in Mass. and Vt. stores than in NY!

Like so many things that look alike but aren't, LEDs are not all the same. I just bought 40 watt equivalent A19 bulbs, 6.5 watts and 800 lumens, 3000K, dimmable = 123 lumens/watt. I am using these to replace par 30 bulbs and am pleased with the results.

What do you mean by "superior warm up time?" These come "on" bright and stay bright.

The cfl floods are exceptionally slow to warm up. Led is superior in that aspect.

800 lumens from 6.5 is very good. Let's try to get that from a par bulb.

I just bought 40 watt equivalent A19 bulbs, 6.5 watts and 800 lumens, 3000K, dimmable = 123 lumens/watt.

Which bulbs are these? Where did you purchase them? Cost?

800 lumen should be a 60 watt equivalent.

Which bulbs are these? Where did you purchase them? Cost?
800 lumen should be a 60 watt equivalent.
Whoops! Wrote that just after returning home from sunning on a beach in St. Martin/St. Maarten. Must have been smoking something. Should be 450 lumens, or 69 lumens/watt. Still pretty good. The 800 lumens are from an A19 at 9.5 watts, 84 lumens/watt, even better.

The source is EarthLED, and the bulb is SunSun. 6.5 watt are about $6 and the 9.5 watt are about $10 in packs of ten.

I just bought 8 led recessed retrofits by commercial electric at hd. 670 lumens and 10.6 watts. It was 30 bucks in ny and 20 bucks in mass. Little bit of a drive, but we stopped at the sale at the Arcadian Shop and dinner at Vesuvius, so the drive to the Pittsfield HD was fine. I'll let the collective know how things work out.

Last edited:
Just installed 6 of them in the kitchen. Took less than a half hour! Easy Peasy. They appear brighter than the flourescent floods I had in there before, and they were supposed to be 120 w equivalent. Uses less than half the watts, more or less instant on at full brightness. Kitchen lights are on a lot. Would recommend this model for sure, if you're in the market.

670 lumens is way less than a 120 watt equivalent. Closer to a 40 watt.

Nevertheless, it appears brighter than the flour. floods that were in there. Looks better when the lights are out as well.

Reactions: Highbeam
That is the equilivant of a BR30 incandescent 65w flood bulb for recessed cans.

Ack. Yet another reason the "equivalent" thing is terrible. With regular bulbs, 800 lumens is a 60 watt equivalent, now we have special flood light equivalence scales?

For incandescents and LEDs lumens/Watt are pretty similar for flood versus omnidirectional. With CFLs, the floods always had crappy lum/W. I was glad to switch mine out for nice Phillips LED floods, even at $30/bulb, a year ago.

I still had the label for the flour. floods. It is as I wrote above, and the lum/W are not crappy. Maybe they get dimmer over the years, but one of the bulbs on another circuit that doesn't get used that much looks the same. Perhaps just not as advertised.

I am quite happy with the output color and brightness of the CFL floods, just the warm up time is horrendous.

I still had the label for the flour. floods. It is as I wrote above, and the lum/W are not crappy. Maybe they get dimmer over the years, but one of the bulbs on another circuit that doesn't get used that much looks the same. Perhaps just not as advertised.

Fair enough....perhaps it was the brightness on the work surface that disappointed me....very diffuse. Low lux rather than lumens.

Weird that when I'm pricing some units they're cheaper in Mass. and Vt. stores than in NY!
If they're $5 cheaper that's most likely the instant state/utility rebate. Should be a notice that the price is only good in the store.

If I go into the physical store I find a LOT more choices than what the website will indicate is on the shelves.

We put a couple LED floods in our kitchen ceiling cans as a test. They were on sale and subsized by PSE for a cost of about $8/bulb. The rest of the (6) lights are CFL floods. We have been pleased with the CFLs. The 1 min warm up time is no bother. We don't flick them on and off every time we enter the room. Normally once they are turned on, they stay on for hours. The color rendition is not bad. This was a major concern with lights around food. The CFLs have lasted from 2-5 yrs so far. Last month I put the 2 new LED floods over the primary work area. They put out a nice crisp light without any bluish LED tint. These are GE Energy Smart 10w, 700 lumen bulbs and look just like a conventional R30 flood. Claimed life expectency is 13 yrs. We'll see. Since we moved into the house 20 yrs ago we have gone from 65w incandescent, to 45w halogen, to 19w CFL to now 10w LED. The bulb life has gone up about 50-100% with each new generation. Considering these 6 can lights are on for ~6 hrs a day and sometimes more in the winter, that's a nice improvement.

Reactions: Highbeam
Will try a dimmer tonight.
These things seem to be built pretty ruggedly.

f37c714e-f902-433a-a784-fedad81d124c_300.jpg

Is that a Cree?

Don't know.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Commerci...sed-White-LED-Trim-CER6730WH/203489880?N=c7p5

PRODUCT OVERVIEW
The Commercial Electric 5 in. and 6 in. Recessed LED Trim with clean and elegant design is ideal for glare free lighting in any room of the house. This ETL classified high efficiency dimmable Trim has received Energy Star Certification for year-round energy savings. Compatible with dimmer switch for different illumination needs and increased energy saving. This LED Trim is for use with 5 in. and 6 in. IC and Non-IC recessed housings and will retrofit 5 in. and 6 in. incandescent housings to energy saving LED down lights. Reduce energy consumption to 11 watt LED - comparable to BR30/65 watt incandescent bulb. Rated for wet location make it applicable for shower and exterior application.

•White recessed LED trim
•For use with 5 in. and 6 in. IC or Non-IC recessed housings (housings not included)
•Dimming range between 10% to 100% and compatible with most household dimmers
•Rated for wet location and certified airtight per ASTM E283-04
•Can be used for CA title 24/high efficacy compliance
•65 watt bulb equivalent light output - 11 watt energy used
•IC rated for direct contact with insulation
•Save on bulb replacement up to 35,000 hours lamp life
•Medium base socket adapter included
•Retrofits 5 in. and 6 in. incandescent housings to energy saving LED down lights
•Designed to install in other incandescent housing by other major brands, please refer to instruction sheet for list of additional compatible housing
Info & GuidesYou will need Adobe® Acrobat® Reader to view PDF documents. Download a free copy from the Adobe Web site.

Return To Top SPECIFICATIONS
Adjustable Lamp Head No Aperture width (in.) 6.0
Assembled Depth (in.) 7.5 in Assembled Height (in.) 3.89 in
Assembled Width (in.) 7.5 in Certifications and Listings 1-UL Listed,ETL Listed
Fixture Finish White Fixture finish family White
Fixture\track material Aluminum Light Source LED
Manufacturer Warranty N/A Product Weight (lb.) 1.25
Returnable 90-Day Size 6 in.

commercial electric is the chinese ghetto brand as far as can lights go. They are the cheap version of a halo can.

I would much rather pay the same price for a screw in LED bulb from CREE and an airtight trim ring.

Reactions: Former Farmer
Status
Not open for further replies.