290 nose sprocket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

splitoak

Nov 6, 2013
Jefferson Co, WV
Hey guys i have been having this re occuring issue with my new saw..first let me say..the oiler is turned up all the way..18" bar and i run 50/50 mix of sava chain and canola oil...it will cut fine fer a while and the chain stops..the nose sproket is jammed up..like its not oiling enough..so i have to take it apart..unbind the sproket..is anyone else having this problem?..and if so is there a cure..it is an issue..if i take it to the dealer they are going to say its fine..thanks guys..

Hey guys i have been having this re occuring issue with my new saw..first let me say..the oiler is turned up all the way..18" bar and i run 50/50 mix of sava chain and canola oil...it will cut fine fer a while and the chain stops..the nose sproket is jammed up..like its not oiling enough..so i have to take it apart..unbind the sproket..is anyone else having this problem?..and if so is there a cure..it is an issue..if i take it to the dealer they are going to say its fine..thanks guys..

I had the problem once cutting, I think pine. The tip got all gunked up with sap and wood sludge. I cleaned out the tip very well with a slotted tool. I was surprised how much crap was in the tip of the bar.

I had the problem once cutting, I think pine. The tip got all gunked up with sap and wood sludge. I cleaned out the tip very well with a slotted tool. I was surprised how much crap was in the tip of the bar.

+1 this actually just happened to me recently. Slotted tool helped and I hit it with compressed air too and it freed up.

It could be the cooking oil is getting too hot in the one place that it would get too hot and causing binding. Free it up and try running just chain oil. Or keep using the canola and use the bar to fry-up some bacon while you out in the woods cutting wood! Your choice. The extra smoke coming from the nose sprocket will probably add some flavor. :eek:

Last edited:
Reactions: TreePointer
Canola oil is slick and light...it works great...there are alot of people that run strait canola...reg bar oil is thick...the oilers on these saws are not enough as it is...

Status
Not open for further replies.