1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

2'nd Block off plate??

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Harley, Jan 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harley

Harley Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ashfield, MA
    Well - this may be more cosmetic than anyting else, but just wondering if this would be a problem. Already have a very tight block off seal around the damper where the liner came through, now - I was just thinking of sealing off (removable to get to cleaning the pipe) in front of the fireplace. I had some angle iron to build the frame (it hasn't been secured to the existing brick work yet.) I'm thinking of doing it pretty air tight, but now I'm second-guessing myself, because it would leave an airspace in the original fireplace that is tightly sealed above, and in front. I'd probably rather have the good seal right behind the stove, and that way I'd have some room to move around with the flex pipe when running a brush through it but that would mean taking out the block off plate at the damper.

So I guess what the question is... would it be better to have a good seal at the damper-level, or right behind the stove, or both? I'm really thinking that it would not be good to have a lot of air heated up in between the 2 block off places - so - which would be better?

Here's the pic of the frame I cobbed up inside the fireplace to cover up the liner and T

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    My guess would be that it won't matter much either way - most of your brick appears to be inside the home, so heat lost to it is re-radiated.
  3. kevinmoelk

kevinmoelk New Member

Loc:
    Wapato WA, in the Yakima Valley of Central WA
    Beautiful set up Harley. My thought is this: If you already have an effective block off plate, why mess with a good thing? I would simply build a cosmetic only front where you have indicated in your picture. Maybe even vent it if you have concerns of heat being trapped. Though, I also agree with Craig, the brick mass you have there would mostly likely dissipate any substantial heat between the two.

Take my comment with a grain of salt Sir, just my 2 cents.

-Kevin
  4. ourhouse

ourhouse Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Norfolk Ma
    Thats a nice looking set up Harley, if it wokks well don't mess with it.
  5. MrGriz

MrGriz New Member

Loc:
    Waterford, WI
    Looks good to me, I don't think I would change a thing.
  6. Harley

Harley Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ashfield, MA
    Thanks, Guys...

Just bolted it together in place to keep its shape (imagine that... the fireplace opening wasn't perfectly square), and pulled it out so I can tack it together at work. It was in there pretty tight. Once I get the plate for the front, I think I'll drill and tap the frame so that removing the plate is fairly easy. Though its real purpose is cosmetic (it's a little messy with the bricks that were taken out). Since I've gone this far on it, I might as well make it as tight as I can. I think you are right... having that airspace blocked off at the top and in front shouldn't cause any problems... I guess I was over-thinking it a little bit.
  7. Harley

Harley Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ashfield, MA
    Why is it that every little project takes longer than expected? Anyway, finally got the 2'nd plate in... put in some better supports for the "T" behind, and got it sealed up pretty well. It actually stands out more in the picture than it really does in person, but I think it cleans up the back. Not the best weekend to do it... had to let the stove go out, and its been pretty cold.

OOOps! Sorry - cactus jumped up and tried blocking the picture.

Attached Files:

8. PaulyV

PaulyV New Member

WOW!! That black contrast looks great!Looks like arunway model on a catwalk... ;-) I like..
  9. MrGriz

MrGriz New Member

Loc:
    Waterford, WI
    Ok, I take that back. It looks much better now!
  10. elkimmeg

elkimmeg Guest

looking goood get that baby cranking so it will be real nice for the 6:30 party
  11. Harley

Harley Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ashfield, MA
    Thanks, guys

It's been going a few hours now, and nice and toasty here (still chilly out but not as much wind as yesterday). Maybe its just me, but it seems that plate is helping to bounce back some of the heat into the room quicker (is that convection or radiant??) - I didn't get the heat shield for the back of the stove. I'll have to do some (very non-scientific) checking to see if the amount of heat "stored" in the rest of the fireplace is less than it was with the 1 block off in the damper section.

It'll be t-shirt and shorts temp here long before 6:30.... gotta run out to the beer store before then... still trying to download Baba's venison stew, but that's not working very well :cheese:

EDIT: Just looked at the picture again... see that light spot on the hearth on the right front side? that means somebody (look to the left) has been licking the hearth again... oh well... vet say's it won't hurt him and is actually good for his coat.

Thank, bud... that little cactus is just a baby... have lot's of its bigger relatives in the house that are trying to kill me (not that I'm being paranoid :ahhh: )
  12. budman

budman Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Valley Cottage,NY
    Great job harley looks real nice with that back ground but keep an eye
    on that cuctus it looks a little scary.
  13. Corie

Corie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Halifax, VA
    Harley,

THat looks fantastic. I wasn't sure exactly how it would look when finished, but both cor(r)ie's think it looks purty damn sharp.
  14. Harley

Harley Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ashfield, MA
    Thanks, Cor(r)ies!!

A lot of you guys that know what you are doing with steel could have done it a lot quicker and better than me, but I think it came out pretty well.... picture the accountant with an arc welder.... that's enough to send everyone in the shop running for high ground :gulp:
  15. Roospike

Roospike New Member

Loc:
    Eastern Nebraska
    Looks great Harley, really cleaned it up and set off the stove.

I really noticed the hearth is now like MONSTER BLACK !

hu~wa
  16. kevinmoelk

kevinmoelk New Member

Loc:
    Wapato WA, in the Yakima Valley of Central WA
    Nice job Harley. I honestly had my doubts about the project, but now that I see the finished result it looks great and draws ones eye to the stove, where it belongs. Good work.

-Kevin
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.