3 Bags a day?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GenghisJon

Nov 9, 2009
Middletown, CT
OK, so we had the coldest day/night so far in CT.

Went thru 3 bags in a 24 hour period, is that to be expected?

I was using 2 brands I bought from Home Depot.

2 Bags of Fireside Ultra, 1 bag of Tomorrow's heat(I think it's called)

The Tomorrow's heat I filled up at 11PM and by 7AM it was all burned through.

Is this to be expected or am I just using the wrong pellets?

Thanks for your help.

PS

I have a Quad cb1200i

BTU said:
GenghisJon said:

Thanks for your help.

PS

I have a Quad cb1200i

I just have to bite my lip when I read something like this...I am really trying hard to just sit on my hands and keep my mouth shut....

Thanks for your help, you're the best!

BTU said:
GenghisJon said:

Thanks for your help.

PS

I have a Quad cb1200i

I just have to bite my lip when I read something like this...I am really trying hard to just sit on my hands and keep my mouth shut....

I will say it for you BTU. Simple math applies. If you need X amount of BTU's to heat the house and the current pellets are not high BTU pellets. You will use more. Using a higher BTU pellet will result in less pellet usage. Basically you are using shoulder season pellets. OK for when you don't require large amounts of BTU's to get warm. But when its cold you got to have the extreme heat pellets to stay warm.

Try some rocket fuel or simular high BTU pellets. You will reduce the amount of pellets used per day. Probably cheaper to burn the more expensive stuff in the cold. Yes they cost more, But you will use less overall.

jay

Jon,

I just pulled up the manual for your stove.

It is capable of producing between 14-40 thousand BTU's under "Ideal" conditions (MFG Spec)

Depending on the size of the area you want to heat, the insulation value for that area, the floor/wall layout in that area, the outside temp and wind, the
BTUs contained in whatever pellets you decide to burn, and how you operate your stove all contribute to how many pellets you will consume in any 24 hour period.

The big box stores are not noted for carrying the highest BTU pellets in their inventory. Not saying they are bad....just not usually best of what is available.

How you operate your stove has a lot to do with how many pounds of pellets it consumes. You could have your damper/combustion settings turned down low with your feed rate cranked.
This would burn differently than if your feed was slow and your damper/combustion blower was cranked. All stoves need "fine tuning" to get optimum heat vs. consumption.

So I guess that is a long way of saying a qualified YES. In your case/stove/house/weather it could be normal to burn three bags in a day.

In my case, burning NEWP hardwood pellets or Okanagan softwood I normally burn 1 bag or so a day. If the temps dip like they did last night to ~10 deg. F
I can burn 2 bags a day. Depends on how cold it is outside, how much wind, and the direction of wind.
I try to keep my living (stove) room at about 72 degrees which keeps the rest of my place comfortable.

Stay Warm,
---Nailer---

Using 3 bags a day when it is as cold as it is right now is completely normal, despite what some might tell you here. I have to laugh when someone posts that they are heating 2000 square feet on a bag and a half when it is minus 10.

Sawduster said:
Using 3 bags a day when it is as cold as it is right now is completely normal, despite what some might tell you here. I have to laugh when someone posts that they are heating 2000 square feet on a bag and a half when it is minus 10.
i was using a bag and a half when it was almost 0 for a few nights and thats heating 2200......72 down, and 69 upstairs.....hope that gives ya a good chuckle

HEMI said:
Sawduster said:
i was using a bag and a half when it was almost 0 for a few nights and thats heating 2200......72 down, and 69 upstairs.....hope that gives ya a good chuckle

It does!

HEMI said:
Sawduster said:

Ah, the wonders of a properly winterized house.

nailed_nailer said:
Jon,

I just pulled up the manual for your stove.

It is capable of producing between 14-40 thousand BTU's under "Ideal" conditions (MFG Spec)

Depending on the size of the area you want to heat, the insulation value for that area, the floor/wall layout in that area, the outside temp and wind, the
BTUs contained in whatever pellets you decide to burn, and how you operate your stove all contribute to how many pellets you will consume in any 24 hour period.

The big box stores are not noted for carrying the highest BTU pellets in their inventory. Not saying they are bad....just not usually best of what is available.

How you operate your stove has a lot to do with how many pounds of pellets it consumes. You could have your damper/combustion settings turned down low with your feed rate cranked.
This would burn differently than if your feed was slow and your damper/combustion blower was cranked. All stoves need "fine tuning" to get optimum heat vs. consumption.

So I guess that is a long way of saying a qualified YES. In your case/stove/house/weather it could be normal to burn three bags in a day.

In my case, burning NEWP hardwood pellets or Okanagan softwood I normally burn 1 bag or so a day. If the temps dip like they did last night to ~10 deg. F
I can burn 2 bags a day. Depends on how cold it is outside, how much wind, and the direction of wind.
I try to keep my living (stove) room at about 72 degrees which keeps the rest of my place comfortable.

Stay Warm,
---Nailer---

Thanks for the help Nailer.

I'm green to the pellet business so all the constructive advice is saving me from going through alot of mistakes.

Much appreciated.

Sawduster said:
HEMI said:
Sawduster said:

It does!

I am also on a bag and a half a day. About 2000 sqft and stays at 72ºF. I tried ACP's and I went to 2 bags a day plus. Lets just say I went back to the better pellets real quick like!

Sawduster said:

Can almost do that. Can do 1500 square feet on 48 lbs of fuel in a 24 hour period when nearing zero with a Europa.

We can get 2 days from a full hopper (3 bags) with the weather in the low teens.
Our 5510 is the primary heat source in our 1400sf 100 year old house and keeps us between 68 and 72.
Are you maybe asking too much from the stove or maybe poor quality pellets?

Chris

I heat a 60,000 sq ft house and i only use 1/2 a bag a 24hr period. Ahhh the advantage of a properly winterized house. ;-) .

No i really use 1 bag to 1.5 bags every 24hrs when it is below 15F. I am heating ~1500 sqft and keep it at 74 always because i hate to be cold. I have a properly insulated house i know this because i built it. R60 up top R-30 down low and R22 side walls.

In this weather (-14F last night) I am using 3 bags a day on 2 stoves. House is single floor bungalow style 1900 sq ft, 30 years old and holding 68 degrees throughout. Running Premium softwoods from British Columbia.

GenghisJon said:

Thanks for your help.

PS

I have a Quad cb1200i

As has been mentioned above, you need "X" amount of BTU's to heat a given space to a certain temp.

120lbs / 24 hrs = 5lbs/hr, which is what your stove will feed at max heat setting.

In your case, neither one of those pellets are giving a lot of heat......pellets with a higher BTU content will allow you to reduce the heat setting, saving pellets.

woodsman23 said:
I heat a 60,000 sq ft house and i only use 1/2 a bag a 24hr period. Ahhh the advantage of a properly winterized house. ;-) .

No i really use 1 bag to 1.5 bags every 24hrs when it is below 15F. I am heating ~1500 sqft and keep it at 74 always because i hate to be cold. I have a properly insulated house i know this because i built it. R60 up top R-30 down low and R22 side walls.

At any temps above 0 °F , my stove spits pellets out of the hopper. When it's above freezing, spits out about 4 bags/day. Have to shut down in the summer, ain't room enough in the bank for all the money I make selling 'em. When it's -0 °F , I generally burn 2 - 3 pellets / day. Almost not worth starting it up, but my wife likes to watch that spark.

GenghisJon said:
BTU said:
GenghisJon said:

Thanks for your help.

PS

I have a Quad cb1200i

Thanks for your help, you're the best!

GenghisJon FTW!

Sawduster said:

Me too , but I catch hell every time I question what I feel is an outlandish exaggeration. So I`m keeping quiet.

3 bags a day?....turn the frickin furnace on, alot cheaper to just burn oil/gas/electric....

Pellet-King said:
3 bags a day?....turn the frickin furnace on, alot cheaper to just burn oil/gas/electric....
oil or gas maybe, but not electric, i have electric heat and it will not go back on...didnt have a bill below 750/month last winter with it on, and that was at 68....

HEMI said:
Pellet-King said:
oil or gas maybe, but not electric, i have electric heat and it will not go back on...didnt have a bill below 750/month last winter with it on, and that was at 68....

Same here hemi, Not with CT's high electric rates. Too pricey for me to ever use!

Sawduster said:

I can heat most of a 2300 sq ft bungalow on a bag or bag and a half of good pellets. at -15 C . I used to use two or three bags a dayl but have optimised my heat output by playing with the heat settings. There are four on my U.S.Stove 6039.

I never run the stove higher than heat setting 3 (out of 9) or it would cook us.

3 bags a day would be $18 for me which totals $500 a month for heat. I'm missing something here-- either the stove is not set properly or the house is a barn.

my $.02

Stan

GenghisJon said:

Thanks for your help.

PS

I have a Quad cb1200i

how big is your space your trying to heat ? oh and we need pictures

I hear you on the electric heat. I got what was suppose to be a good deal 20 yrs ago on a double wide. I was suppose to be made for zone 4. But as it turns out, it was suppose to have been shipped to Texas, not upstate NY. 2 electric bills, and I pout in a wood stove.

GenghisJon said:

Thanks for your help.

PS

I have a Quad cb1200i

If you are familiar with burning oil, it may be helpful to know that one 40 pound bag of pellets equals about 2.2 gallons of #2 fuel oil. I may be off a bit to the right of the decimal point, but close enough to give some perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.