3" end cap with spark arrestor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an open end 3" weather cap.I am looking for a end cap with a screen mesh spark arrestor.I've dona a google search and didn't find anything.I've thought about getting a piece of screen and wrapping and clamping.Not sure how that would look?Any ideas?
Thanks,
Tony

I have an open end 3" weather cap.I am looking for a end cap with a screen mesh spark arrestor.I've dona a google search and didn't find anything.I've thought about getting a piece of screen and wrapping and clamping.Not sure how that would look?Any ideas?
Thanks,
Tony

If ya do it, you'll know exactly how it looks

Reactions: smoke show
Why do you think you need a spark arrestor? Is the end cap close to the ground?

I think the spark protector is more of a critter protector to prevent birds, etc from being able to get into the venting. I went to a customers house to repair their stove as their combustion motor wouldn't work. I pulled the motor off the housing and found a bird that had its neck broken. Tested the motor, removed the bird and put the screening in their end cap. Motor still works 2 years later.

Duravent pellet vent pro 3pvp-hc

589A7339-10C8-4B83-9831-FA904DC6B1BC-3042-000005A28EEB2391.jpg

Yep that's it. BTW LOVE the Turmans!!!!!

Why do you think you need a spark arrestor? Is the end cap close to the ground?
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
I live in a forrest ,lots of trees and leaves.I try to keep the area cleaned up but with the wind they can pile up in a hurry.Dry leaves and embers makes me nervous.Not many embers or sparks come out but I have seen a few.I was just trying to take an extra precaution.Don't guess they make a fine mesh cap?
Thanks,Tony

Hi Tony,

A fine mesh will interfere with air flow and you'll hate the way your stove will burn.

I'd start thinking about another method such as a wind shield to keep the leaves away from the vent area.

Half inch metal fencing held at least 2 feet from the vent should be all that is needed to keep the leaves from being too close. It would not interfere with air flow.

Think of a large bird cage only instead of keeping something in you are keeping something out. In this case the leaves.

Hi Tony,

A fine mesh will interfere with air flow and you'll hate the way your stove will burn.

I'd start thinking about another method such as a wind shield to keep the leaves away from the vent area.

Half inch metal fencing held at least 2 feet from the vent should be all that is needed to keep the leaves from being too close. It would not interfere with air flow.

Think of a large bird cage only instead of keeping something in you are keeping something out. In this case the leaves.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Thanks Smokey and all...
Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.