1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

3 inch stove pipe brush and attachments at HD

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by kenwoody, Jan 6, 2013.

1. kenwoody

kenwoody New Member

I recently purchased a 3 inch rutland cleanout brush for my pellet stove it was about 7 bucks nice brush but when I looked at the extension rods for it I almost died 47 bucks for 4 fiberglass rod that hook together hmm had to be a better solution I guess I'm cheap). Anyway the brush has a 1/4 inch 20 tpi collar attached to it so,seeing as my stove pipe is straight with no bends init I went to the hardware section of hd and bought 2 3 foot threaded 1/4 20 threaded rod and also 2 1/4 20 collars for about 6 bucks . I brought them home and attached one rod to the brush on the other end I screwed the collar on halfway up and spot welded it to the threaded rod. Now when I need to clean out the flue it's just a mater of screwing the 2nd rod to the collar and remembering to turn the brush clockwise(otherwise it unscrews the brush can clean my entire 6 foot of pipe and I saved over 30 bucks.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. boosted3g

boosted3g Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central PA
    I saw those rods and thought that was a rip off also. I have such a short exhaust i just use one of those cheap flexable ones for dryer vents.
  3. imacman

imacman Guest

4. Screamin Rebel

Screamin Rebel Member

Loc:
    North Branch MI
    I seen the same thing back in November! Lol I also bought the brush and threaded rod, my wife was so impressed how smart her husband is!
  5. sweetdawg99

sweetdawg99 Member

Loc:
    Central New York
  6. moey

moey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Maine
    wise man.. I did something similar only I used a coupling nut between the rods. I must have had a different brush as mine was threaded on the end so I just threaded the brush into a coupling nut and a rod into the other end of the coupling nut.
    chriscarl likes this.
  7. P38X2

P38X2 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Jaffrey, NH
    I allowed myself to get porked and forked over the cash for the Rutland kit. Works very well but....ouch. Wish I checked out the Lint Eater beforehand. Looks like pretty much the same thing.
  8. boo boo

boo boo Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    So. NH
    That`s great you just saved 7 bags of pellets and a cup of coffee
  9. fmsm

fmsm Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South of Boston MA
    CtPaul likes this.
  10. Traildawg

Traildawg New Member

Loc:
    North Central Ma.
    Will this work for a 3" vent pipe?
  11. fmsm

fmsm Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South of Boston MA
    Probably, but it may be tight
  12. notch

notch Member

Loc:
    7 miles north of Boston
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  13. Woody1911a1

Woody1911a1 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Marblehead , Ma
    YES works great . just remember do NOT put your drill in reverse . same goes for all the others too . just a reminder :)