3" or 4" for 28 foot chimney liner for 3" wood stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

stu__

Nov 16, 2020
north carolina
Hello there. Thanks for the advice. The small european wood stove exhaust is actually 3 1/6 inch as are the additional flue pipes and elbow that came with it. I'm planning on using furnace cement to join to it either a 3 inch chimney liner, or a 4 inch liner with an adapter/reducer. I heard that for that long of length it's better to go with 4 inch chimney liner and I just wanted to make sure.

Thank you,
stu_

Hello there. Thanks for the advice. The small european wood stove exhaust is actually 3 1/6 inch as are the additional flue pipes and elbow that came with it. I'm planning on using furnace cement to join to it either a 3 inch chimney liner, or a 4 inch liner with an adapter/reducer. I heard that for that long of length it's better to go with 4 inch chimney liner and I just wanted to make sure.

Thank you,
stu_
What stove is this for?

Is the stove going in a temporary dwelling like a yurt or mountain cabin? It is not approved for residential use.

Thanks. Is the porch enclosed? I am confused because the title says " 28' liner". That's very tall. A liner goes in an existing chimney. Is that the case here? If so, what is existing?

Will this stove get replaced with a bigger one eventually?

Wow it says it uses tempered glass? No listing or EPA certification but they want $1300 for it. Wow

The porch is not enclosed but the roof is very tall. No not gonna be replaced. Maybe I will use hard pipe instead of a liner, but I'm gonna burn pine and brush/clean/sweep it a lot so I thought a flexible liner would be easier.

The specific question is for that long a flue pipe for such a small stove and 3 inch exhaust, is 4 inch or 3 inch better?

Thanks.

"Wow it says it uses tempered glass? No listing or EPA certification but they want $1300 for it. Wow"

Thanks, I did not notice that. I thought it was ceramic glass. :(

The porch is not enclosed but the roof is very tall. No not gonna be replaced. Maybe I will use hard pipe instead of a liner, but I'm gonna burn pine and brush/clean/sweep it a lot so I thought a flexible liner would be easier.

The specific question is for that long a flue pipe for such a small stove and 3 inch exhaust, is 4 inch or 3 inch better?

Thanks.
You can't just use a liner unless it's inside of a chimney

OK thanks. So hard piped, for such a small stove and 3 inch exhaust, is 4 inch or 3 inch better?
Hard piped with actual chimney pipe

I don't think you'll find 3" chimney pipe. 4" is available in some cases.

"Hard piped with actual chimney pipe. "

Yes.

You do realize 28' of chimney pipe will cost several thousand dollars. More for a custom order small one

For the sake of argument, which will draw better for a 28 foot flue for a small stove with a 3 inch exhaust?

Thanks.
They are both going to draw really hard at 28'

But I would just put in 6" honestly

"But I would just put in 6" honestly"

Interesting. Is that so the little stove would not draw so hard, and burn up the wood so quick?
It's a tent stove it's going to burn through wood in a hurry especially on 28' of chimney you are going to need multiple dampers to control the draft. And it probably won't last long regardless. Do you have the stove already?

Yes I have it already.

There are two dampers (problem or air intake vents) on the front of the stove. On the door. The one on top of the door is a horizontal slide opening holes from one side of the door to the other. The one on the bottom of the door is a screw that won't screw quite all the way down. so it's always a little bit open. I was planning on putting a damper on exhaust near the stove. The door closed tightly. Besides the tempered glass it seems decently built. I was just pricing ceramic glass replacement of the tempered glass.

What would be the ideal pipe size for 28 feet for such a small stove? If I go too big I would think it won't draw well and will puff smoke out of the stove. On the other hand, I don't want it to burn wood too fast either.

Thank you.

This is such an odd situation that a lot is speculation. The stove will be heating outdoors so the normal differential between indoor and outdoor temps will not exist. That differential is what drives the draft. The 28' probably won't draft as strongly as it would in a house.

A five-foot length of 5" DuraTech in galvalume is about $250. 6 lengths will come to $1500. Not sure if you need another length to get it properly above the roof. Then there are the braces, cap, and connecting pipe.

How much heat are you expecting to be able to get out of that stove? A 900 ft uninsulated steel building with 21 ft ceilings and a concrete floor is going to instantly absorb any heat you produce out of that little firebox.

How much heat are you expecting to be able to get out of that stove? A 900 ft uninsulated steel building with 21 ft ceilings and a concrete floor is going to instantly absorb any heat you produce out of that little firebox.
This is outside, on the unenclosed porch.

I think I'm going to return this stove if I still can and rethink the project.

When I posted above about putting a 28 foot 4 inch chimney liner for a 3 inch small stove, it was based on what someone told me on the phone who sells chimney liners. This person thought I was putting the 28 foot liner up a chimney from an enclosed, insulated space.

Was he right about that, if it were for an enclosed, insulated space?

Thank you.