1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

3" wall thimble - 3" pipe super tight fit? normal?

Post in 'The Pellet Mill - Pellet and Multifuel Stoves' started by akthor, Sep 30, 2012.

1. akthor

akthor Member

Loc:
    Verona Island, Maine
    So getting ready to install my stove I figured the 3" pipe would slide easily into the thimble. Not happening, It is so tight I feel like I will need to hammer it thru? Is this normal?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. newtonh

newtonh New Member

Loc:
    Contoocook Valley NH
    I have not run into that. I don't think it is normal with a standard thimble. Does it have a donut gasket ? I see some thimbles now include a gasket to tighten up the usually loose fit. Just my two pennies.
  3. smwilliamson

smwilliamson Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southcoast, MA
    are you trying to put an adjustable sleeve length through the thimble? They do not go in so easy.
    DAKSY likes this.
  4. akthor

akthor Member

Loc:
    Verona Island, Maine
    It was just a 3' straight pipe and I did have to use a rubber mallet and a piece of wood and hammer it thru.
  5. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Are they the same Manufacturer? Pellet vent pipe, through Excel thimble?
  6. boosted3g

boosted3g Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Central PA
    When i installed my pellet vent pro piping the outside diameter of the piping was 3.625 inches and the thimble was 3.75 inches so there was a small gap that was easily caulked.