30% Tax Credit almost over.........almost.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

imacman

Just a reminder that the 30% credit is over tomorrow (12/31/2010). You must have documentation that the stove was installed by then.

However, I have heard that the "administration" in washington is considering another one, but will be limited to approx. $800.....that's all I know so far.

New only...

Between my new windows, exterior doors, insulation and stove i will be in good shape to get the max credit this year.

X2 on the max credit this year! :)

imacman said:
Just a reminder that the 30% credit is over tomorrow (12/31/2010). You must have documentation that the stove was installed by then.

However, I have heard that the "administration" in washington is considering another one, but will be limited to approx. $800.....that's all I know so far.

Hi imacman, I have just installed my own stove, and have all the receipts for the stove, vent and hearth materials. What other documentation do you need? I have a letter from my home owners insurance (Erie) stating the date of installation and completed to code. Plus tax credit certificate from Hearth & Home Technologies. Is anything else required? Thanks, Jon

yep no more free government cheese is what I hear. Guess I missed out on this AND the CARS deal. My conscience is clear at least my children won't be paying back my part of the bailout lol

I'm buying my second stove today.... ;O) Quadra-Fire Santa Fe All said and done it will cost me around 1000. after 30% credit for a new stove. You can't beat that!!!

I heard that the revised tax credit will be along the lines of 10% up to $300. Then again, those idiots wont really know what the new program is until it actually passes. Its wait and see time. My phone rang off the hook yesterday with people trying to buy PSG furnaces for the tax credit. I explained that while I can fax or email them the invoice, the unit needs to be in service by the end of the year. That only stopped some of them from buying.

Andy40 said:
I'm buying my second stove today.... ;O) Quadra-Fire Santa Fe All said and done it will cost me around 1000. after 30% credit for a new stove. You can't beat that!!!

You have to have it installed and operational prior to midnight today or no tax credit for you.

I was told to keep all your receipts, stove certification and file for the credit.

SmokeyTheBear said:
Andy40 said:

You have to have it installed and operational prior to midnight today or no tax credit for you.

What do you mean?? That thing will be in my car this afternoon. Doing a self install.

Andy40 said:
SmokeyTheBear said:
Andy40 said:

What do you mean?? That thing will be in my car this afternoon. Doing a self install.

Exactly what I said ... you must have it installed and operational today by Midnight otherwise you don't qualify for the tax credit. The stove must be in service in 2010.

I guess what I can do is have the owner write on the receipt or installation form saying installed 12/31/10. That will do it!!

Andy40 said:
I guess what I can do is have the owner write on the receipt or installation form saying installed 12/31/10. That will do it!!

I understand that of all of the three Ss the third is the most important ;-).

Andy40 said:

I wouldnt buy a product from a dealer who would do such a thing..but thats just me.

Franks said:
Andy40 said:

I wouldnt buy a product from a dealer who would do such a thing..but thats just me.

Oh Boy!! You kidding!!

Franks said:
Andy40 said:

By golly there is one honest, ethical person still out there! You have my respect sir..........

I had H & R block do my taxes. I wrote up a summary of what I bought, how much I paid and when it was installed. Gave it to to the tax person, and that is what was used. They never looked at my receipts. (I did include place of purchase and invoice numbers) I have them should it go to an audit. My son insulated his roof. He took his receipts to his tax person, told him when he did the install, that was all he needed. For the do it yourself'ers, you'll only have your receipt and your word. Seems to work. It is what it is!

Doocrew said:
Franks said:
Andy40 said:

By golly there is one honest, ethical person still out there! You have my respect sir..........

Well, its not so much my own ethics, but a dealer who would do something like that may also be willing to break rules or cut corners when it came to servicing their customers. I'm no saint, thats for sure.

3jfk said:
......I have a letter from my home owners insurance (Erie) stating the date of installation and completed to code......

That should do it.

Kept my receipts for the purchase and install. To bad I can't deduct the price of the pellets.

I am going to need that tax credit this year. The last child joined the Army last January, so I lost a dependent.

DMZX said:
Kept my receipts for the purchase and install. To bad I can't deduct the price of the pellets.

I am going to need that tax credit this year. The last child joined the Army last January, so I lost a dependent.

Don't forget, EVERYTHING related to the stove and the install is included. Stove, pipe, floor protection, stove tools, surge protector, OAK, silicone and/or foil tape, install costs & materials, etc, etc.....everything except the pellets.

They will probably re-instate it after the first of the year to attempt to make anyone thinking about buying to get off the fence.

Status
Not open for further replies.