30%Tax Credit At Woodstock Save $1200

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Todd

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Nov 19, 2005
NW Wisconsin
Looks like Woodstock is the first ones to take advantage of the 30% fed tax break and are also having an additional $600 sale. You can buy a new Fireview for $1500!!!!!!!!! Man, I feel like buying one just because it's such a great deal.
http://www.woodstove.com/pages/sale10day/sale.html

They have to test their stoves at a certified independent lab in April to have their stoves qualify, but they are pretty confident they will top out at 78-80%. I wonder if any non cats will make it?

The big problem is unemployment. If a person doesn't have a job what good is a tax credit against taxes they don't owe because they didn't have any income? Same with the tax credit for buying a car. Or a house.

Pretty much sounds like the stimulus is for those that don't necessarily need stimulation. :coolsmirk:

I am just going to work on not owing any taxes so that I am not paying for anybodies stove, car or house. :cheese:

Brother Bart, it's not like $12 a week really makes a difference. When the new gas taxes go on, that'll be eaten up in one day.

Yeah, but a new Fireview for $1500? That's sweet!

Woodstock is expecting to raise their ratings 6 to 8 %, which will (likely) be the same for other catalyst stoves on the market. There is at least a few at 72%, and with all things possible, i wonder how many stoves just below the mark will be certified for the good of the economy by these Independant Testing folks? Allthough I dont see those non-cat stoves at 63% making the current mark, or even an adjusted mark, they could find themselves just below the mark if it were adjusted to say 70%. I WIKI stove reviews prior to the stimulus and have revisited since,,,to find when you enter the Woodstock" reviews its like going to a sureal location! Are there not any owners un-happy? Almost all ratings are 1-excellent and noone seems to mind not having an ash pan,,seems a blower is just not part of wood burning anymore,,dealers are all saints,,a heat you (get used to) and find more effective,,effective and carefree cats,,,it just goes on and on.
I typically have doubts about things that seem too good.....and without these incentives, I wouldn`t be in the market for a Woodstock,,,but am certainly in need of a modern burner. I would like to hide behind the Enviroment to justify the purchase, however the wallet and cold nights are foremost considerations and I can`t help but agreeing with "BrotherBart". :red: To Upgrade the old stove, or Purchase???an answer this Statesman will have to find for himself!

I see also that there is a $100 shipping which is a substantial discount.

This is just the incentive I need. I believe that I'll be buying a fireview.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I'm cutting some wood today. If I were going to buy a fireview, what length logs should I cut. Their website says 16" logs. I have quite a number of already split 17 and 18" (at least a cord). Will they fit in the fireview stove? While I'm cutting today's wood, should I cut off an inch of the already split stuff? (ugh!) Or does the stove take longer logs?

The Resolute says 16" too but it looks like you and me both have been running 17-18" fine.
That said, I had some a little too long and it wasn't bad trimming them. I stacked a bunch between the uprights on the end of my rack
and just cut down through them all with the chainsaw.

jdinspector said:
This is just the incentive I need. I believe that I'll be buying a fireview.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I'm cutting some wood today. If I were going to buy a fireview, what length logs should I cut. Their website says 16" logs. I have quite a number of already split 17 and 18" (at least a cord). Will they fit in the fireview stove? While I'm cutting today's wood, should I cut off an inch of the already split stuff? (ugh!) Or does the stove take longer logs?

16" does indeed fit very nicely. However, we were in the same boat as you, and still are because our older stove would take up to 20" and 21" in a pinch.

What we have found is that we can get up to 19" into the Fireview....but not on the bottom. (I think we may have gotten a bit longer piece in but it was small and we loaded it diagonally.) However we also had a lot of wood at 16-17" so we use that on the bottom and once over the lip by the door we can get the longer stuff in.

I had thought about cutting those longer pieces in half and loading the firebox the other way but have not done so. I simply have sorted out the stuff that is too long....and sold it. We have a few more years of burning before we get to the all 16" that I've cut since buying the Fireview. No big problem and we'll get though it.

ml said:
Woodstock is expecting to raise their ratings 6 to 8 %, which will (likely) be the same for other catalyst stoves on the market. There is at least a few at 72%, and with all things possible, i wonder how many stoves just below the mark will be certified for the good of the economy by these Independant Testing folks? Allthough I dont see those non-cat stoves at 63% making the current mark, or even an adjusted mark, they could find themselves just below the mark if it were adjusted to say 70%. I WIKI stove reviews prior to the stimulus and have revisited since,,,to find when you enter the Woodstock" reviews its like going to a sureal location! Are there not any owners un-happy? Almost all ratings are 1-excellent and noone seems to mind not having an ash pan,,seems a blower is just not part of wood burning anymore,,dealers are all saints,,a heat you (get used to) and find more effective,,effective and carefree cats,,,it just goes on and on.
I typically have doubts about things that seem too good.....and without these incentives, I wouldn`t be in the market for a Woodstock,,,but am certainly in need of a modern burner. I would like to hide behind the Enviroment to justify the purchase, however the wallet and cold nights are foremost considerations and I can`t help but agreeing with "BrotherBart". :red: To Upgrade the old stove, or Purchase???an answer this Statesman will have to find for himself!
My Keystone has a great and conveniant ashpan. There are no dealers, you can only buy direct from the factory and they do treat you the way you wish all businesses would treat you. A blower really wouldn't be effective with a soapstone stove since its mostly a radiant heat. Once you live with one, you'll see what I mean, kind of weird its just a gentle warm heat all the time. I think you really will find that virtually all Woodstock owners are very happy with their stoves and the company that makes them. If you aren't, Woodstock will bend over backwards to make you happy. Might seem to be too good to be true, but they really do make a great stove and treat you right. Guess we all are skeptics these days since you seldom find great quality and excellent customer service from a business anymore.

So to get the credit - do you have to buy a stove AFTER they get a new certification? If you could double up with this sale it's a no brainer for me.
I should probably give them a call, but its Saturday.

rob bennett said:
nevermind I just checked out the site. dang.

Dang? Why dang?

I am so there!

The Wife is having a cow right now, I showed her the link to the Woodstock site. She does not want a wood stove in her house. I told her I will order it and put it in the barn!

Me thinks it will find its way into the house before October ;-P

Rob Bennett: revisit the site,,You can order now and get both discounts along with the 100 shipping, they just cant guarantee they will pass.So you might lose that 600 dollar credit for your taxes in the end.
I got ahead of myself in regards to the ash pan earlier, and didnt realize they were just on line purchase until later,,however i guess the thing that alludes me is that my current set-up used forced air and I have some rather chilly areas that radiant heat may not reach. I think primarily I just dont have a grip on radiant heat and fully understand the concept of its workings. There are certainly other stoves doing the same thing.

ml said:
Rob Bennett: revisit the site,,You can order now and get both discounts along with the 100 shipping, they just cant guarantee they will pass.So you might lose that 600 dollar credit for your taxes in the end.
I got ahead of myself in regards to the ash pan earlier, and didnt realize they were just on line purchase until later,,however i guess the thing that alludes me is that my current set-up used forced air and I have some rather chilly areas that radiant heat may not reach. I think primarily I just dont have a grip on radiant heat and fully understand the concept of its workings. There are certainly other stoves doing the same thing.
I think there still would be chilly areas. After all a woodstove is basically a space heater. Radiant heat tends to warm objects while convective heat warms air. All woodstoves are actually a blend of the two with soapstone being much more radiant than convective. With a soapstone stove, all the objects in you house slowly absorb heat which they in turn radiate to the air. You tend to burn 24/7 using a soapstone stove because allowing the house to cool off then means you have to rewarm the whole house which can take a long time. With my old cast Jotul, I had HEAT in 10 minutes. But I also had COOL in a couple of hours too. With the Keystone, our temps are very even, fluctuating by generally no more than 4-5 degrees max over a 24 hour time span.

mobetter said:
I am so there!

The Wife is having a cow right now, I showed her the link to the Woodstock site. She does not want a wood stove in her house. I told her I will order it and put it in the barn!

I bet she will get over it after she feels the warmth and the energy bill savings next winter.

Not only that, but that Firestone is one beautiful piece of furniture! How could she not like the looks of it?

I should have clarified
I was using "dang" in the "Dang this is great!" sense.
Not the "dang oh shucks"

I am ordering tomorrow. 90% sure I am getting the keystone.
I'll let everyone know what my wife lets me order!

mobetter said:
I am so there!

I'm embarrassed on behalf of my sex. :sick: I am glad that I somehow escaped the programming that puts order and absense of dust, etc., above almost all other values in life.

On the other hand, maybe she has good reason not to trust your judgment on this stuff? Did you once, say, try to convince her it would be a good idea to use the dining room table to rebuild a carburetor?

gyrfalcon said:
mobetter said:
I am so there!

I'm embarrassed on behalf of my sex. :sick: I am glad that I somehow escaped the programming that puts order and absense of dust, etc., above almost all other values in life.

On the other hand, maybe she has good reason not to trust your judgment on this stuff? Did you once, say, try to convince her it would be a good idea to use the dining room table to rebuild a carburetor?

Yeah I'd like to say I'm the King around our house. But the truth is My domain is the barn and yard/property.

We agreed on this when we bought our dream home in the country, She had the house and the barn was mine.

I did get her to watch the DVD Woodstock sent me several months ago. And guess what, she likes the moss green fireview on their website.

I think we got her on the ropes and ready to throw in the towel. Oh and on the carb rebuild on her dining room table, I'm sure that isn't close to some of the stunts I've pulled.

Backwoods Savage said:
Not only that, but that Firestone is one beautiful piece of furniture! How could she not like the looks of it?

Does Woodstock include mounting, balancing and road hazard warranty in the price? :lol:

The woodstock firestone. You can drive all day on them, take them off and heat your house on the residual heat.

mobetter said:
I am so there!

Showed my wife the site and sell also, I'm not purchasing now but I will next year considering the tax credit is good then too. If we were already settled into our new house and had a place to put it, I would be in the same boat as you.

Status
Not open for further replies.