3000 Gallons.... Too much storage?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

boilERIK

Hello, I have the opportunity to buy a 3000 gallon tank. I have an econoburn 200k boiler. The tank is an old oil tank for an industrial building. it is about 20'x6' diameter. Is 3000 gallons too much storage? I imagine it would take forever too get it to temperature. Does anyone have this much storage? I would like to be able to store enough heat to be away from the home stead for a long weekend or more and not tap the oil boiler for backup.
I would have to get the tank cleaned and transport it to my home and would need a crane to pick it and set it. The tank itself is about $1000 I figure it might cost me about $1500 to get it cleaned and delivered to the house. Not sure if it is worth the cost unless there is a real benefit to that much storage. Can't wait to hear what your thoughts are. Thanks
Erik

(20' x 6' diameter is over 4200 gallon.)

If it's a conventional oil tank with flat ends then you're looking at un-pressurized storage, which really complicates things.

Other than that, the only disadvantage of bigger storage is higher standby loses and/or increased insulation expense, and the space the whole storage system takes up.

Since the top of storage is heated first, and heat is drawn from top of storage first, excess storage capacity shouldn't be much of a problem.

But how big of a boiler room can you manage, architecturally and aesthetically?

I'm using an oil tank for unpressurized storage. Works awesome. I used a Tarm diagram stss-1 or something like that.

start calling around to all the LP gas suppliers till you find some 1000 gal tanks they are going to de-certify and scrap. You should be able to buy them for $200 or $300 each, won't have the cleaning problem, can transport yourself on a trailer, and can run pressurized. Stand one or two vertically if you had room for the 20' tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.