30NC for $799

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
BrotherBart said:
raybonz said:
BrotherBart said:
And my record is safe. Being the only person on planet earth that ever bought a 30-NC for list price. :mad:

Hello Bart,
How long have you had this stove and has it needed any parts? Those seem like a great stove for short money and just doing a little advance research...

Thanx,
Ray

Installed it in December 2006 after my old stove cracked. No parts yet but I am probably going to order a set of baffle boards here before long just to have them around.

Ok and how many cords a yr. do you burn? What will baffle boards set you back? Would you say that a secondary burn stove uses less than, more or the same amount of wood as a cat stove? I use 2.5 to 3 cords a year to heat my house 24/7 here in Mass. with a cat stove old but pretty efficient... Sorry for all the questions just trying to sort things out...

Thanx,
Ray

raybonz said:
Ok and how many cords a yr. do you burn? What will baffle boards set you back? Would you say that a secondary burn stove uses less than, more or the same amount of wood as a cat stove? I use 2.5 to 3 cords a year to heat my house 24/7 here in Mass. with a cat stove old but pretty efficient... Sorry for all the questions just trying to sort things out...

Thanx,
Ray

Three cords and change on the wood usage. I have never had a cat stove so I can't judge wood usage with one. If you are only using that much wood and the stove is working for you I don't know why you would want another stove.

A set of baffle boards is around a hundred and thirty bucks.

BrotherBart said:
raybonz said:

Thanx,
Ray

Three cords and change on the wood usage. I have never had a cat stove so I can't judge wood usage with one. If you are only using that much wood and the stove is working for you I don't know why you would want another stove.

A set of baffle boards is around a hundred and thirty bucks.

Good point Bart it just that's getting old and I can get that tax credit thing too.. Occasionally I get some puffing if the wood is in the wrong position and that may be aomethng inherent to this stove.. It is amazingly efficient for a 20+ yr old stove and can put out quite a bit of heat using oak, sometimes too much.. Dunno just tossing the idea around...

Ray

EatenByLimestone said:
I removed the door, ash pan and all off the brick. That lightened it a good deal. Then I strapped it to a dolly and rolled it out the back of my truck, across planks to the back door. Then I had one buddy below it (Craziest guy you know is the appropriate person) and myself and another guy were controlling the dolly going down the stairs. I think two good sized people could do the job. The guy that helped me move it down stairs was a bit small and the dolly was picking him up off the ground.

Matt

I used your suggestion and took off the door and removed the firebrick. Afterwards, my buddy and I just picked the thing up and carried it inside and then down into the basement. There was only one time where my foot got stuck and I lost my balance. Thought that the stove and I were going to be on top of my buddy at the bottom of the stairs. He said that he saw me slipping so he leaned into the stove and put his shoulder into it. It wasn't too bad. Probably would have been easier if I had a dolly.

raybonz said:
BrotherBart said:
And my record is safe. Being the only person on planet earth that ever bought a 30-NC for list price. :mad:

Hello Bart,
How long have you had this stove and has it needed any parts? Those seem like a great stove for short money and just doing a little advance research...

Thanx,
Ray

Just make sure your wood is dry, dry, and dried some more. The stove will turn up its nose at "regular dry" wood.

The only thing I don't like about the stove so far is the two baffle boards. They move around a bit on me when a split touches one. Then they don't touch each other and therefore let some smoke past. I've seen them work forward also. If I come across a steel plate I may insert it on top. It shouldn't have to be thick as most of the heat will be reflected back down to the fire. I'll be adding Kaowool to the back so smoke can't come up behind the plates also.

Matt

EatenByLimestone said:
The only thing I don't like about the stove so far is the two baffle boards. They move around a bit on me when a split touches one. Then they don't touch each other and therefore let some smoke past. I've seen them work forward also. If I come across a steel plate I may insert it on top. It shouldn't have to be thick as most of the heat will be reflected back down to the fire. I'll be adding Kaowool to the back so smoke can't come up behind the plates also.

Matt
it is designed that way for a reason so they can be easily removed for safe cleaning and still clear the door opening
a steel plate wont do that or make use of the heat the way ceramic board does,this function plays a key role in allowing upper temps to ignite the secondarys so my advise is dont mess with it

Don't mess with the baffles. I occasionally have to scoot them around (maybe a quarter inch at the most), but that's rare. I'm very careful not to touch them with my stove tools or splits.

Once they've been baked a few times at high heat, they become very fragile, making it that much more important not to disturb them.

-SF

Hi all, Great site, i recently bought a NC-30 from a big box store, i shopped around other sites for the Englander but some of the shipping costs varied, So I finally asked the big box store to locate me one within 100 miles of where i lived they located one 30 miles from my house, It was stored in the back of the store on a shelf they received it there 1 year ago by accident, it just sat so I went and talked them down to $775.00 out the door, plus that 30% tax credit, i even used a Lowes 10% off coupon, which they have at the Post Office when you change addresses all you have to do is ask for the packet behind the counter. I hauled it to my house and its a dandy built like a tank and it just keeps going strong, GREAT VALUE

whatwood said:
Hi all, Great site, i recently bought a NC-30 from a big box store, i shopped around other sites for the Englander but some of the shipping costs varied, So I finally asked the big box store to locate me one within 100 miles of where i lived they located one 30 miles from my house, It was stored in the back of the store on a shelf they received it there 1 year ago by accident, it just sat so I went and talked them down to $775.00 out the door, plus that 30% tax credit, i even used a Lowes 10% off coupon, which they have at the Post Office when you change addresses all you have to do is ask for the packet behind the counter. I hauled it to my house and its a dandy built like a tank and it just keeps going strong, GREAT VALUE

>:-(

There, there, BB. Take a few breathes, please.

I put my 30 into service in February 2008, which means that it doesn't qualify for the tax credit. What a pisser.

-SF

SlyFerret said:
Don't mess with the baffles. I occasionally have to scoot them around (maybe a quarter inch at the most), but that's rare. I'm very careful not to touch them with my stove tools or splits.

Once they've been baked a few times at high heat, they become very fragile, making it that much more important not to disturb them.

-SF

I already put a few dents in one of my baffles with a poker by trying to roll a split and having it slip. Now i 'pry' against the edge of the stove opening, much more controlled than just lifting with my arms.

My biggest problem is banging the secondary tubes when i load. One time i swore i broke the thing.

I just need to slow down...lol.

An easy cure for the moving baffle boards and the gases escaping around them is to pick up one of those little steel rods they sell at the hardware store and slip it through a piece of 1/4" inch stove rope gasket. Lay it on the left or the right side in the space left when the boards are pushed against the other side.

An easy cure for bashing them with the poker is to throw the poker away and go to N/S loading. A set of tongs is six bucks at Lowe's if you need to grab the end of a split and manipulate it.

ESW makes them both the same size so that they don't have to stock two sizes. Pure and simple. If they would just make that one size 1/8" wider it would solve a lot of things.

BrotherBart said:
whatwood said:

>:-(

LMAO Bart did you just get beaten on your deal???

Ray :p

Status
Not open for further replies.