33" Oak rounds fed to 26-ton Iron & Oak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MasterMech

And here was the result. We split two more pickups worth of a different mix. Some Ash, Some oak, Lots of Cherry. This load in the pics tho was all oak from Irene. (I posted pics in another thread.) Truck didn't even know it was loaded. Should stack out to about 1/2 cord.

Video of the splitter chewing these rounds is forthcoming! Will post over in The Gear when that happens.

This stuff is going to make a happy 2013-2014 season for sure!

Attachments

• DSC03287.jpg
    DSC03287.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 651
  • DSC03288.jpg
    DSC03288.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 637
  • DSC03289.jpg
    DSC03289.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 639
That would have been easy with most any splitter but glad you got it. That's some good wood.

+1, nothing like the smell of fresh split oak this time of year.

Backwoods Savage said:
That would have been easy with most any splitter but glad you got it. That's some good wood.

This stuff is gorgeous. 5-6 rounds loaded the truck?! lol And yeah, it splits super easy. Flies apart.

Yes, I've often thought life would be sweet if one could have all they type of wood every year.

MasterMech said:
Backwoods Savage said:

This stuff is gorgeous. 5-6 rounds loaded the truck?! lol And yeah, it splits super easy. Flies apart.

Real nice, I scored a similar size red oak and it was hard getting the rounds in the truck, had to roll them up a ramp.

peterc38 said:
MasterMech said:
Backwoods Savage said:

Real nice, I scored a similar size red oak and it was hard getting the rounds in the truck, had to roll them up a ramp.

It was about all my splitting buddy and I could do to get the rounds near the splitter. After moving 5 of them aprox 6 feet and wrestling them under the splitter, we were exhausted! Fortunately we have tractors to move the rounds in from where the tree fell and was bucked.

I just did 25 to 26 inch oak rounds and that was tough. If I had to do 33 inch rounds, I think I would move the splitter to the rounds. I normally cut my wood at 22" since my furnace will take a 24" log, but on these rounds I found myself going to 18" and 16". My body was thanking me at the end of the two days.

Yep, it doesn't take many rounds of that diameter to fill up a pickup truck.

This stuff is gorgeous. 5-6 rounds loaded the truck?! lol And yeah, it splits super easy. Flies apart.[/quote]

Read that and laughed. Green oak likes to fly apart alright, sometimes to the tune of an shin or foot at light speed

Status
Not open for further replies.