1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

346xp saw

Post in 'The Gear' started by Freeheat, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Freeheat

Freeheat Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West of Cleveland
    Found a used 346 didn't come with a bar or chain and was wondering its rated to pull a 20 inch bar but seems like a lot for a 45 cc saw . What would you guys reccomend??

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    If its the 45cc model I would run a 16inch on it and be very happy.
  3. TMonter

TMonter Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hayden, ID
    I run a 16" on my 346Xp New Edition (50CC) and I'm very happy with how it performs. I do want to get a better chain one of these days though.
  4. KarlP

KarlP Feeling the Heat

IMO the best solution would be to get both at 16" and 20" .325 narrow kerf bars. You'll use the 16 most of the time. Especially since you own a larger saw. However, its good to options when cutting ... or when not cutting because you badly pinched the bar in a cut. :)
  5. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Is that the one off of Craiglist in Avon?? Called on it and it was sold already... Lucky....
  6. TreePointer

TreePointer Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western PA
    16" narrow kerf bar in .325" pitch, .050 gauge.
  7. Freeheat

Loc:
    West of Cleveland
    Yup I pick it up this week sometime , he had to go out of town. I let you know how it is.
  8. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Prob an easy fix... For $100 I was gonna grab it up... At that price I would do it every day of the week. Congrats on the score. Thats the best deal in our area in awhile.

BTW- If I were to buy it, I would prob stick with a 16" maybe an 18" . Would run much faster with the 16" What size bar you got on your 460 (love my 455- great firewood saw).

Lucky dog!!!
  9. Freeheat

Loc:
    West of Cleveland
    My 460 has a 20 inch bar and I love that. I was looking to get rid of the 460 and just run the 346 but I don't know if thats gonna happen If I put a 16 inch bar on it.
  10. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Then do a 20" with a Skipper?
  11. Freeheat

Loc:
    West of Cleveland
    After emailing the guy It sounds like he let it sit for awhile and now wont start. Im hoping just a carb clean.
  12. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Yeah. Said in the ad it wont start.

Carb clean was what I was thinking. Even if you had to put $50 in the saw and then the bar and chain ($70) You got a new to you 346XP for $220.

Thats pretty good in my book...You cant buy a 435 w/ 16" for that brand new and the 346 is double the saw that a 435 (homeowner saw) is..
  13. mayhem

mayhem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Peru, MA
    Go through it carefully and thoroughly and make sure everything is good...fuel lines, impulse line, compression, metal intake clamp, non scored p&C, etc. Get a new plug, gap it to .020 and put some fresh gas in there and let er rip.

Got lucky myself on a 346 a short time ago for $75. Its a 2007 powerhead that was made about 5 weeks before the 50cc NE's came out, prior owner straight gassed it, replaced the 45cc P&C with a new EBay 50cc P&C and couldn't get it to start. Dude didn't check the gap on theplug he put in there and didn't screw the air intake to the carb. I added a Husqvarna 16" bar and a cheap safety chain that was on sale at my local hardware store for $30 for the set and at some point I'll get a loop or two of Stihl RSC for it and call it a day. I've got a 20" b&c on my 359 so the 16 made the most sense for the 346. Sucker rips through limbs and small to medium bucking.

Good luck with yours...please shoot some pics and post them up here when you get it.

For what its worth, so long as you're not screaming for storage and the 346 works out ok for you, I'd hang onto both saws. Use the 346 for all your small and medium limbing, bucking and whatnot with a 16" bar and pull out the 460 with the bigger bar when you need or want to.
  14. Freeheat

Loc:
    West of Cleveland
    I plan on posting pic whe I get it
  15. Freeheat

Loc:
    West of Cleveland
    Well this sucks .Just go an e-mail for the guy with the saw, Sorry my wife sold the saw over the weekend to a lady. I bet the guy had so many e-mails that he lifted the price,

So much for being the fastest to reply on craigs list!!!!!!!!!!
  16. mayhem

mayhem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Peru, MA
    Bummer. Oh well, this happens alot. If you're looking for bargains on a high demand item like a 346XP you have to be ready to go it from the seller the minute you make the deal, otherwise somoeone else will just offer the guy $50 over the asking price and WHAM! its gone.

Keep your eyes open. These come along every so often.
  17. HittinSteel

HittinSteel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeastern Ohio
    You gotta be quick and ready to hit the road....I saw that posting about 10 minutes after it went up, but didn't want to drive an hour.
  18. DexterDay

DexterDay Guest

Well if it makes you feel better. It wasnt my Wife... Wish it was. That would have been a Sweet Sweetest Day gift..
  19. mayhem

mayhem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Peru, MA
    Look at the bright side, if it was your wife that bought it you know it would have been a seized piston and not a loose plug wire.
  20. Freeheat

Loc:
    West of Cleveland
    At least I can laugh about it. I stinks that on Friday you get a email the saw is yours and Monday OOOOOPPPS. This will make the YINGLING Taste better tonight!!!!!!
  21. wannabegreener

wannabegreener Member

Loc:
    Southern NH
    That really sucks. I think I would blast him a hate mail. I would think that he would come up with a better lie than that. What an ass!