1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

390 vs 361 vs ?

Post in 'The Gear' started by moterhead3, Sep 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moterhead3

moterhead3 New Member

Loc:
    Bethel Twp PA
    Finally got to some hickory and black locust in my wood pile and decided to get a new saw. My sears saw isn't powerful enough, my Pioneer is but has no chainbrake and is heavy. I was thinking either the 390 or 361. The 390 is a bigger CC motor but the 361 is 0.1 hp more. Is it worth the $100 difference? Do these saws have as much power as my Farmsaw? I can get a good price on stihl so that's why I 'm leaning toward them.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    both saws are nice is the 361 worth another 100.00 buck's yep!
  3. Corey

Corey Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Midwest
    If you plan on modest to serious cutting, I would consider weight also. Given saws of equal HP, but one 2-3 pounds lighter, I would seriously consider the lighter one. Also consider the HP @ RPM. 4hp @ 7000 rpm vs 4hp @ 13,000 rpm will have different characteristics.
  4. trafick

trafick Member

Loc:
    Lynchburg, VA
    If it were me, I'd go with the 361. It is a "PRO" saw where as the 390 is considered a "consumer" saw. The difference being in the way they are built. The 361 will last better in the long run.

I've had an 036 for 9 yrs and I love it everytime I use it.
  5. fullbore

fullbore New Member

Loc:
    Northeast PA
    The 390 is a good saw, I've owned an 039, which was identical; but not quite as great/star performer as the 361. The 361 is definitely worth an extra hundred bucks...pro saw, great performance, great construction/durability, less weight.
  6. Bigg_Redd

Bigg_Redd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Shelton, WA
    The 390 and 361 are closer than $100 around here, but in any case I think the 361 is worth $100 more.
  7. rdust

rdust Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Another vote for the 361. The 361 also makes more power with less engine(59cc vs. 64cc) and is a little lighter. I don't think you can really go wrong with either one though with the way most of us will be using them.
  8. peterc38

peterc38 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Maine
    Of course I am partial cause I own one, but I'd go with the 361. Definitely worth the extra 100 clams given the better power to weight ratio.
  9. Mmaul

Mmaul Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Muncie, IN
    Had the same question 6 months ago, went with 361. SmokinJ liked it so much he went out and just bought one. 361 never look back.
  10. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    yep in less than a year i had 180 260 and now the 361 looking for the perfect limbing saw! the 361
  11. moterhead3

moterhead3 New Member

Loc:
    Bethel Twp PA
    Thanks for all the feedback. My wife just ordered my early Christmas present, ms361 20 inch bar, I'll have it Sunday. She likes the heat from the stove, so she wants me to have the saw I always wanted,so I have no excuses when it comes to cutting wood. Anyone want to buy a good running Craftsman saw?
  12. smokinj

smokinj Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Anderson, Indiana
    hang on to it good back up saw!
  13. rdust

rdust Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    It'll put a smile on your face every time you cut with it. It's so much nicer/faster cutting with a good saw and it doesn't wear you out near as much.
  14. HittinSteel

HittinSteel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeastern Ohio
    Congrats on the saw, you'll love it and like smokinjay said, keep the craftsman. Always nice to have an extra saw in a "pinch".
  15. moterhead3

moterhead3 New Member

Loc:
    Bethel Twp PA
    I've got other saws. My Stihl 011 is nice for little stuff. My pioneer is 1981 model, I'm the second owner, real low hours, lots of power but hard to get parts for. The Craftsman I bought new in 2005, just dosn't have the power I feel a 55cc saw should have. It's like new so I'm going to put it on CL and see what happens, I'm not going to give it away. Can't wait till Sunday.
  16. Gomez

Gomez Member

Loc:
    Pineville, PA
    We are expert woodsmen, we NEVER "pinch". :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.