3rd chimney cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WellSeasoned

This is the 3rd cleaning of the season. I slid up to look up the pipe and probably didn't have to sweep, but did anyway. I collected about a half cup of creosote. The majority was from the top of the stove around the ceiling connection and at the lid. I am thinking I may have the slightest bit of air entering at the ceiling connect.

This late in the season I wait till fall. Most will dry and fall off or the birds will clean it for me.

Ya, we'll be burning for a while yet. After the season is done I pull the baffle, close off the cap and put my pet ferret in the stove for a couple days. Works like a charm. ::-)

I pull the stove pipe and put a clear bag on the chimney pipe. Every few days a bird will show in the bag. I just let it out ad wait for the next. After a month or 2 they quit trying to get in the pipe but by that time the chimney is polished clean. Been going on for several yrs now. Most people try to keep critters out of their chimney, I found a way for it to work to my advantage and nobody gets hurt.

Reactions: Realstone
For the first time ever I haven't done any mid-season cleanings. We shall see.

BG as usual when you are done with the ferret let me know and I will send the pre-paid FedEx label.

I pull the stove pipe and put a clear bag on the chimney pipe. Every few days a bird will show in the bag. I just let it out ad wait for the next. After a month or 2 they quit trying to get in the pipe but by that time the chimney is polished clean. Been going on for several yrs now. Most people try to keep critters out of their chimney, I found a way for it to work to my advantage and nobody gets hurt.
You're pulling our leg, right? Technically April fool's ends at 12 noon.

For the first time ever I haven't done any mid-season cleanings. We shall see.

BG as usual when you are done with the ferret let me know and I will send the pre-paid FedEx label.
I find a porcupine works better. If it wasn't for the cross border issues I'd loan you mine.

Tried a porky, but found it too much work yanking them back down the pipe. The quills only work in one direction and he was real ornery by the time he made it back down to the stove. The ferret on the other hand is naturally curious and inspected every inch of pipe at least a dozen times an hour.

I find a porcupine works better. If it wasn't for the cross border issues I'd loan you mine.

I think you guys have metric porcupines so that might cause a problem, eh?

Tried a porky, but found it too much work yanking them back down the pipe. The quills only work in one direction and he was real ornery by the time he made it back down to the stove. The ferret on the other hand is naturally curious and inspected every inch of pipe at least a dozen times an hour.
:) Start from the bottom up & use compressed air. Have an in-law at the top to catch the bundle. But remember, safety first, the in-law should wear a dust mask.

I clean every two months during the burning season regardless if it needs of or not. Keeps the Mrs. happy for the piece of mind. Its never been bad enough to have really needed cleaner, either!

BG - remember that the ferret will work better if the stove is still a bit hot.

Status
Not open for further replies.