3rd fire and house is filled with smoke.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grimripper

Hearth Supporter
Oct 10, 2010
MN
Im getting a little discouraged. It been one problem after another with this chimney. Parts missing and such... As i type this there is smoke coming out of the stovepipe. It comes from where the 2 of them are pushed together by the seem. How do i fix this?

I also can not seem to keep the fires going or get them above 350°f. They like to hover around 150-200°. I have to keep the flue all the way open in order for it to stay going and sometimes have to open the byass damper also. I have dry wood. Its been cut and split for 2 years. There is roughly 6' of stovepipe, and 2' of doublewall pipe in the attic. The other 7' of doublewall pipe is outside above the roof..

Any advice is appreciated.

What stove do you have? Have you tried opening a window near the stove to alleviate any potential negative pressure?

YEa, crack a window.

When was you're home built? new construction?

Chimney and stove pipe clean?
The 7' of chimney above the roof decking...does it obey 3-10-2 rule? 3 ft sounds good. Is chimney 2 ft higher than any roof part within 10 ft?
Is it warm in MN?

Pagey said:
What stove do you have? Have you tried opening a window near the stove to alleviate any potential negative pressure?

Drolet Myriad I believe. Grim, can you add this to your signature?

It sounds like the wood is not dry enough. Are these temps on the stove top? If so, it will need to get up to at least 500F to bake in the paint.

Can you post a picture of the installation so that we can see if there are any obvious errors? One thing to check when the stove cools down is to be sure the insulation blanket on top of the baffle hasn't gotten shoved to the back of the stove so that it's bunched up and obstructing the flue outlet. Other than that, how tall is the flue on the stove?

Your Myriad has a bypass damper. This is a great feature to help warm-up the chimney. Here is my advice: start by pulling the air control completely toward you (that will mean your air intake is open completely). Open the by pass damper. Try to burn the stove this way. You should get a fairly high temperature in the flue. If you still have smoke in this configuration, I think you have a real chimney, installation, or negative pressure problem. On the other hand, if opening the damper and the air control completely solves the problem, that means your problem is restricted to low burn rates. You will still need to check you system to make sure chimney height is maximized. You may also need to get the stove hotter before you close the air control and the bypass damper. Once you have a good fire going and your air control is closed completely, pull on it slightly to give the stove just a bit more oxygen. Let us know how this goes. Pics would help.

I have a different stove than you, but if my stove is cold I have to do something to get a draft going or I'll have smoke pouring out. I don't have any of the fire starters others talk about, or I'd try one of them. If the stove is the least bit warm I have totally smokeless starts.

Try not to get too frustrated. You'll get the hang of it soon. I've only had my stove a few weeks and I learn something new with earch fire.

-john

Status
Not open for further replies.