4 inch to 3 inch adapter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Steve W

Oct 12, 2018
Missouri
Hello, new pellet stove user here. I just purchased a mint used Lopi yankee and it has a 4 inch flue outlet on back of stove. Can it be reduced down to 3 inch pellet flue pipe and if so were would I find the adapter. I see them if you go 3 to 4 inch but not other way around. I am doing a horizontal run only using a 3 ft run ...
Thanks for the help..

Thanks for the reply, yes I seen it said 4 inch but guess was wondering why it couldn't be necked down to 3 inch. I have burned wood for years and can understand why on wood but my understanding is pellet doesn't get near as hot and it seems the majority of pellet stoves run 3 inch. Sure would make clearances easier to deal with with necking to 3 but cant find a reducer so maybe a mute point... :)

3" only flows about 1/2 the air at the same pressure... I bet the pressure switches would shut the stove off if you tried 3" as it would run at a higher pressure

Ok that sounds reasonable, have burned wood my whole life but this is a new experience, have 4 inch ordered just looking forward to completing the hookup and feeling the heat. Crazy prices on hearths to set it on that looked nice so made my own. Ceramic tiles, some lumber, glue and grout much cheaper.
Thank you for answering questions, stay warm this winter my friend...