-42(F) and the Blaze King is KING!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
+42 is pretty nice too. 12 hours into the burn and 2/3 of the firebox is still full. This will be the first 24 hour burn since Thanksgiving.

SolarAndWood said:
+42 is pretty nice too. 12 hours into the burn and 2/3 of the firebox is still full. This will be the first 24 hour burn since Thanksgiving.
It is cool beans..no doubt!

Wow I didn't know there were people in the North Pole. How does one get to where they want to live there? Sounds like a great stove.

this Blaze King thing has me just a little green with envy. My 2010 Quad 4300 does a good job, but nothing like the burn times/heat output that Blaze King owners are reporting. I would probably "just" make it with clearances to combustibles. Maybe next year I'll swap the Quad out.

Now this is in perspective. The King has a massive firebox which dwarfs my quad 4300. Throw in that it takes an 8-inch chimney and my current one is 6, and this is a no-go. Oh well.

richg said:
Now this is in perspective. The King has a massive firebox which dwarfs my quad 4300. Throw in that it takes an 8-inch chimney and my current one is 6, and this is a no-go. Oh well.

Alot of us BK Princess guys are showing good results with a 2.8 box and a 6 inch pipe. would this work for you?

Lanning said:
richg said:

Alot of us BK Princess guys are showing good results with a 2.8 box and a 6 inch pipe. would this work for you?

thanks for the reply. The Blaze King site indicates that the Princess takes a max 16 inch log. A lot of my wood has been cut to 18 and 20-inch lengths and I'm too dang lazy to recut it. Don't get me wrong, my Quad is heating the house well and I have no issues with it. However, the thought of only having to load twice a day is very appealing. My old Fisher Grandma Bear had a firebox the size of a dump truck. It only needed feeding twice a day, but it ate wood like a tub grinder and was a heinous smoke dragon.

richg said:
Lanning said:
richg said:

thanks for the reply. The Blaze King site indicates that the Princess takes a max 16 inch log. A lot of my wood has been cut to 18 and 20-inch lengths and I'm too dang lazy to recut it. Don't get me wrong, my Quad is heating the house well and I have no issues with it. However, the thought of only having to load twice a day is very appealing. My old Fisher Grandma Bear had a firebox the size of a dump truck. It only needed feeding twice a day, but it ate wood like a tub grinder and was a heinous smoke dragon.

You can get an 18" length in the Princess! My neighbor has most of his cut at 18" and he burns them N/S with no problem.

UPDATE. After over 2 weeks of continuous burning at outside temperatures in the -40F range I decided to let it cool and clean the ashes and tighten the nut on the bypass (which meant I had to take the stack off to get to it). I let it cool all day and when I came home to clean it, there was such a nice bed of hot coals I decided to leave them. The stack was cool enough that by closing the bypass and turning the thermostat all the way down, I could make the adjustment to the bypass lever (it seemed to have loosened a bit, maybe just the heat of a continuous fire). I am please to announce that it was easy to adjust AND I inspected the chimney stove pipe while I had it off and no signs of creosote. So, the fire continues. I also found a source for wood where a disabled person who loves to split wood is allowed to split it and live off the profits by a local wood company who gives him free wood. On a personal note, we celebrated the 28th anniversary of the day I proposed to my lovely wife Dawn (1983). She said "yes, what took you so long"! It was a good week...

Status
Not open for further replies.