450 e Husky

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WARDNEAL

Jun 13, 2010
Central Ks
Have any of you Guys or Gals had any problems with dust getting into the carb./eng. on the Husky 450?

I have had the saw since new 1-13-10.

It looks like the filter is not tight to the carb housing and it is leaking bye.

I now have a saw that has dust burned threw it.

It is under warranty for another 10mo.

I called Husky and the were no help.

What to do?

Run till it dies?

Thanks Neal

Attachments

• 131_3147.jpg
    131_3147.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 259
Updated with picture.

This is about a half tank of fuel used.

The upper left corner looks to be the area that is leaking.

Attachments

• 131_3147.jpg
    131_3147.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 273
fyrwoodguy said:
looks like the lower left corner,could be the culprit. make sure your airfilter has no high spot(s) to allow dust.

a correctly sharpened saw chain does not produce fine dust. are you cutting dry,hard wood ?

Any saw will produce small fine dust even with a sharp chain. May look like all chips but that dust is still there just not as heavy. You can see it in high winds rolling off a saw.
I am picking dust out of my eyes all the time. Goggles help but that dust can still get in there.

Can you put some grease where the filter is leaking? Think I've seen that suggested for a leaky filter.

HittinSteel said:
Can you put some grease where the filter is leaking? Think I've seen that suggested for a leaky filter.

That may work well in a couple of ways.

Looking at fyrwood guys pic of the filter, I think that is the same style or very similar to a 262XP...... think that is where the idea came from. Put a little layer of grease all along the bottom edge of the filter and then pop it back on the saw.

HittinSteel said:
Looking at fyrwood guys pic of the filter, I think that is the same style or very similar to a 262XP...... think that is where the idea came from. Put a little layer of grease all along the bottom edge of the filter and then pop it back on the saw.

I like that idea....

Wardneal, other than this one problem , how do You like the 450? Do You like power, weight etc . Im looking for my first saw and 450 looks good ,thanks

Thanks.

I will clean the saw up and try the grease.

I did not see any high spots on the filter but I will look closer.

I have been cutting black locust and it is dry and hard except at the base of the stumps (18"to 30").

I have really enjoyed this saw I have cut about 5 cords with it and will soon have my wood area full for the next two years.

I am still on the original chain and bar.

I do sharpen the chain after a pickup load.

I have some chisel chain and a new bar to use but I have not needed them yet.

I like the no tool chain tightener.

I like the power and the anti vibration on this saw.

I don't like that I have run dust threw the eng.

Neal

Status
Not open for further replies.