48 hrs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Well here in the south night time temps are down to the lower 60's and upper 50's, daytime is upper 70's. I burned for 3 nights back in October.
At least the cabbage, collards, and kale are growing like crazy, I hope they don't bolt.
Is that the PE or Jotul in your picture? Nice stove.

I think this weather is a nice change. I'm finding a noticeable difference in how my stove heats the house now after replacing all my windows over the summer.

We replaced several of our extremely old/painted shut windows 2 summers ago and it's made a wonderful difference in air flow. Our burner is on our porch
and getting the heat inside the house was next to impossible...new windows that open at the top have worked magic!

I like the sound of that! lol Whats your dead of winter average temps? Never been to your part of the country....though I would like to sometime...

It's pretty nice here if you can tolerate the darkness, constant wetness, and lack of sun due to cloudcover. The whole Puget sound region had snow most of the day yesterday but only about 35 degrees so no significant accumulations. It's weird that we never get cold enough to freeze the ground except the top couple of inches during a short cold snap. During those cold snaps we can get single digit temperatures and wind but only for a week or so and during that week there is often a ban on burning due to pollution in the city.

Dead of winter, average, it stays above freezing every night but barely. Mud all winter.

Question about these 8-12hr burn times...What exactly constitutes "burn time"? Actual fire, or just noticeable heat output from the stove (i.e. a hot bed of coals that starts easy with a new load)?

It's pretty nice here if you can tolerate the darkness, constant wetness, and lack of sun due to cloudcover. The whole Puget sound region had snow most of the day yesterday but only about 35 degrees so no significant accumulations. It's weird that we never get cold enough to freeze the ground except the top couple of inches during a short cold snap. During those cold snaps we can get single digit temperatures and wind but only for a week or so and during that week there is often a ban on burning due to pollution in the city.

Dead of winter, average, it stays above freezing every night but barely. Mud all winter.
Hopefully everyone has a back up heat source when the burn ban goes on. Mud all winter sounds horrible. I can't wait for the ground to freeze. It's been raining here a lot the last couple of weeks so everything is a mud pit. It's hard to be productive at work (landscaper). The dirt roads are even nicer in the winter if we stay below freezing

Reactions: Highbeam
Question about these 8-12hr burn times...What exactly constitutes "burn time"? Actual fire, or just noticeable heat output from the stove (i.e. a hot bed of coals that starts easy with a new load)?
I've wondered that as well. I can get overnight burns even with a moderate load in the stove, but that doesn't mean there is fire in the stove when I wake up, just a hot bed of coals I can relight from. If I can light a new fire from it then I consider it burning but I may be wrong.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Did the morning 12 hr reload about an hour ago. Stove top was at 250F, house at 67F, outdoor temp 37F. There was a nice bed of hot red coals for a quick relight. An hour later the stove top now is at 650F and cruising, probe flue temp is 420F, house temp is 70F and outdoor temp now is 39F.

We got some occasional wet snow showers yesterday, but nothing stuck. We're too close to the water. Folks living at another 300ft higher just a mile or two away saw some accumulation but we got none. The stove did great yesterday in spite of us having a steady 10-20mph north wind blowing straight down from Canada.

I've wondered that as well. I can get overnight burns even with a moderate load in the stove, but that doesn't mean there is fire in the stove when I wake up, just a hot bed of coals I can relight from. If I can light a new fire from it then I consider it burning but I may be wrong.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

I wondered about this myself. I consider it a continual burn as long as I can throw a log on the coals and it starts back up. First thing in the morning my stove is still putting out some heat but isn't truly "hot". In my case the house is still in the upper 60's to low 70's even at 6am (bedtime at 10pm).

Going to be another cold one tonight (10-15F), I'll see if I can pack a tighter load in before bed. I'm new to wood burning (this is my first season) and I've already found its a lot easier to keep it going 24/7 rather than deal with several small fires. At this point I'm about 5 days in.

I refer to burn times as being able to reload with full loads of full size splits and not having to fuss around with kindling or firestarter. So yes a hot bed of coals that easily re-ignites the next load of full-side splits. Obviously not live flames still.

How often do you clean out the ashes when burning 24/7? I've had my stove since mid September and have only cleaned the ashes out once and it seems like its about due again (I burn everyday, the 24/7 part just started 5 days ago).

I refer to burn times as being able to reload with full loads of full size splits and not having to fuss around with kindling or firestarter. So yes a hot bed of coals that easily re-ignites the next load of full-side splits. Obviously not live flames still.

This is kind of how I thought of it, but am also curious how stove manufacturers come up with their listed burn times. Just seems like a whole lot of factors would go into it.

How often do you clean out the ashes when burning 24/7? I've had my stove since mid September and have only cleaned the ashes out once and it seems like its about due again (I burn everyday, the 24/7 part just started 5 days ago).

The type of wood has a huge effect on ash production which dictates removal intervals. Our local doug fir makes almost zero ash.

The type of wood has a huge effect on ash production which dictates removal intervals. Our local doug fir makes almost zero ash.

Thats what I figured. I burn pine exclusively (mostly lodgepole, some ponderosa) and there isn't a ton of ash but it adds up over time. Hoping to get some Juniper at some point for next winter.

i don't like to get ash much deeper than an inch. IMO you're losing a significant chunk of your firebox at that point. I never let it build up around the primary air distribution plate up front much at all and certainly never enough to block airflow.

With this birch I'm burning I'm fighting some coal build up. Lots of raking them up and piling them deep and running on full air to burn them down. I don't mind it because I have the second stove to get heat from, so often now when I light the insert upstairs for the evening I just let my downstairs stove idle away burning coals down for hours and hours. It helps to moderate the heat in the basement and the insert easily heats the upstairs during this time. Then by last load time my summit is burned down clean enough to get a good overnight load in, not losing firebox volume to coals.

i don't like to get ash much deeper than an inch. IMO you're losing a significant chunk of your firebox at that point. I never let it build up around the primary air distribution plate up front much at all and certainly never enough to block airflow.

With this birch I'm burning I'm fighting some coal build up. Lots of raking them up and piling them deep and running on full air to burn them down. I don't mind it because I have the second stove to get heat from, so often now when I light the insert upstairs for the evening I just let my downstairs stove idle away burning coals down for hours and hours. It helps to moderate the heat in the basement and the insert easily heats the upstairs during this time. Then by last load time my summit is burned down clean enough to get a good overnight load in, not losing firebox volume to coals.

Good call on the ash buildup depleting the firebox area. I just now raked my larger coals to one side and cleared out most of the ash which brought back some space. Threw a fresh split on there and it started right back up.

The nice part about removing ash while its still hot is that the draft sucks all of the dust away so it doesn't get into the living area. Having a red hot bucket of coals to deal with isn't too bad, I just filled it with water from the hose and let it sit on the driveway.

It's amazing how much firebox space I reclaim when I clean out the old fisher in my little work shop.

Us folks in the ohio valley, northeast, mid atlantic are going to be getting a taste of winter by weeks end with a colder weekend to boot, we sure have been spoiled this fall but it looks like that has come to an end. Get ready

high's in the low 30s Friday and Saturday in upstate NY. got the boat put away last weekend, no more bass fishing this fall so I say bring on the cold and snow.

This birch we have in our area sure does make coals doesn't it? I try to throw a chunk of white fir on top of coals from birch and I let it rip and it seems to help.....might be mental.

Reactions: Squisher
Good call on the ash buildup depleting the firebox area. I just now raked my larger coals to one side and cleared out most of the ash which brought back some space. Threw a fresh split on there and it started right back up.

The nice part about removing ash while its still hot is that the draft sucks all of the dust away so it doesn't get into the living area. Having a red hot bucket of coals to deal with isn't too bad, I just filled it with water from the hose and let it sit on the driveway.

I set the metal bucket in the snow for a couple hours and then dump it near the lilacs.

But we also have 12" or more of snow already!

This birch we have in our area sure does make coals doesn't it? I try to throw a chunk of white fir on top of coals from birch and I let it rip and it seems to help.....might be mental.

I do that too. Mound em up, rake em forward, and throw a small split or two on top.

I could be mental too, but it seems to help. :confused:

Reactions: Doc C
November has brought on the cold and wet...Life is good with dry wood.
Might save you some typing if you just tell us when it's NOT cold and wet out there. ;) Most of the wood I'll be burning this winter is 4-5 years stacked, except the Cherry.
We like to keep the ambient temp around 70F
Perfect IMO. T-shirt, no problem. ==c
We've been burning off and on, just a load in the evening to carry house temp overnight. Mostly Black Cherry, with a Red Oak split if I wanna stretch out the heat a little longer. Looks like we will be 50s/30s for the next week or more so our little stove will be loaded once a day at least.
So where does the title "48 hrs." figure in?

I wouldn't like the constant darkness and wetness! We can and do receive prolonged cold snaps that will flat freeze everything down...thats when I get into places where the ground stays moist with my dump trailer and haul out while I can...last winter around Christmas time we had a arctic cold snap here...single digit temps with double digit wind chills...this hit the same day I installed the BK...the BK was rocking for several days...lol

Reactions: Highbeam
We have just started burning in earnest here.With our work schedule we maintain 12 hr burns...although I can run much longer....I prefer to stay on track with our schedule....I have been running some locust in the stove here of late and really liking it....little ash leftover.

First fire of the Year tonight in the Supreme duet, rocking out to Garth Brooks on the CMA Awards, with a cocktail in hand doesn't get much better than 73 degrees in the house while it is 37 outside!

Attachments

• 48 hrs
    20171108_210331.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 186
Reactions: Blazing