1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

511 KWH on the last electric bill. Can you beat that?

Post in 'The Green Room' started by Sandor, Jun 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jjbaer

jjbaer New Member

Loc:
    OH
    well, I have a smaller home but the 850 was worst case bill in the summer with the A/C running......a larger home means more items that could be left on and not turned off and therefore consuming more juice....ex: I have 1.5 baths...maybe you have 3 and if lights are left on in all of them, well, there's 50% more juice right there. Same for number of lights in the house, etc., but I'd say you could easily drop it below 800. BTW: my Nov bill is for about 540 KW-hrs but the two girls are at college. Would probably be 680 if they were home.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    I am all electric in 1700 SF. The lights are only a minimal amount of my 1000 KWH per month. The hot tub, water heater, and clothes dryer use the large majority of the juice. The next culprit is the refrigerator. Lighting is a drop in the bucket when you think about it.

My summer and winter usage are only slight different since I have no AC.
  3. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    You probably pay a less for your juice in WA than other places though.
  4. jjbaer

jjbaer New Member

Loc:
    OH
    that's pretty good because I figure that if I had an elec hot water heater instead of my NG unit, the equivalent additional electricity I'd use is about 380 KW-hrs/mo more which would bring my elec in Nov to about 920.
  5. DiscoInferno

DiscoInferno Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Silver Spring, MD/ Munising, MI
    We have a large outside hot tub that's empty now, but when we used to run it the electric bill went through the roof. It was nearly as bad as the A/C.
  6. eba1225

eba1225 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Chester Springs, Pa
    No Hot tub, No Elec Hot water heater (oil furnace heated)

Refrigerator - Yes, Chest Freezer - Yes, Light - Not left on,
    Computers (At least 2) - Yes.
  7. jjbaer

jjbaer New Member

Loc:
    OH
    when I redid my estimate as though I were to have elec hot water (I don't..I have NG) I came up with about 940 KW-hrs and got to thinking that this may be why yours is so high...now that you say you use oil for hot water, the 1200 KW-hr usage is even more perplexing........unless you have big energy hog devices, you should easily be able to get it down to 800...........
  8. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    I suspect our 40 gallon tank water heater is the biggest part of my 1000 KwH. The hot tub only adds about 15-25$ per month to our bill based on comparing years with and without the tub. This has been my hot tub experience in another home as well. They really arean't bad if yo uleave the cover on and have good tub insulation.

As far as the mystery 1200 KwH use I would suggest that you either have a bad meter or a bad appliance. All of the little plug in things are mostly minor consumers.

You know when the dryer is running and how fast that meter spins. How about the refrigerator units? The good news is that you can put them on a kill-a-watt and see how much they are actually costing you.

Turn everything off and go check your meter for spinnage. You should have a low speed of spinnage from just the parasites. If it is moving along pretty good and you want to find out why then start turning off breakers to isolate the sucker.

Our Pacific NW power is pretty cheap but I still want to keep my consumption minimal.
  9. GVA

GVA Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Waxhaw, NC... Formerly North shore Mass
    You just said where your power was going.... Teenagers................:cheese:

Tell the son to unplug the Playstation or game console and the cell phone chargers and the stereo etc... and all the other stuff in his room Not that the daughter is off the hook too she probably has just as much plugged in too... :)
  10. MountainStoveGuy

MountainStoveGuy New Member

Loc:
    Northern Colorado Mountains
    Can you BELIEVE a playstation 3 has a 400W power supply?? Game time adds up fast with that kind of usage.
    Sandor, great job. I study electric bills on a daily basis, and the mean that my clients use is around 800kWh's..
  11. barnartist

barnartist Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Jerusalem, Ohio;
    mountainguy,
    How much power does a Wii use? And when its off?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.