52I Ignitor timed out

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good To Know!

What brand surge protector do you have? ? ?
Local Hardware store, prob no more than $12-15. But it did it's job.

Well, egg on my face...
As stated, I replaced the surge protector and got back to a 6-8 mins burn cycle. Next time, 15-20 mins. So I replaced with a straight power cord, no change, 15-20 mins start up. Unless someone else has an idea, I will clean all the burn pot holes. Because the stove has timed out 2x already (5 blinks) and it pushes pellets over the edge waiting to ignite, I know something is wrong.

My 52i is one year old. I never got it to start in less than 10 minutes. I did all the requisite cleaning all last year and the average time was 15 minutes. This year it timed out after I had just done a complete cleaning. I unplugged the stove, let it reset and started all over again and it fired up in 10 minutes. I used canned air on the fins of the igniter, tapped like crazy, fashioned a vacuum nozzle to get up in there, but to no avail. I clean it every week and we sit around and watch it and make bets on how long it will take to see some sparks/flame.

My 52i is one year old. I never got it to start in less than 10 minutes. I did all the requisite cleaning all last year and the average time was 15 minutes. This year it timed out after I had just done a complete cleaning. I unplugged the stove, let it reset and started all over again and it fired up in 10 minutes. I used canned air on the fins of the igniter, tapped like crazy, fashioned a vacuum nozzle to get up in there, but to no avail. I clean it every week and we sit around and watch it and make bets on how long it will take to see some sparks/flame.
You are where I am at... I did the canned air too and also wire brush the burn pot (which I thought was part of the problem - fine dust/soot into the ignitor). But inspected the ignitor and was clean. Maybe some units are 15 - 20 mins and it is what it is...

Contacted dealer today, they suggest I pull the insert out and check to see if OAK air intake flapper cover is fully closed (I do not have OAK - yet). I did everything else clean, pull igniter for thorough clean), so will try this tomorrow. The igniter gets hot and actually singes the pellets, but just pushes them over to the ash tray until it finally lights up 20-25 mins later.

Ditto.
It's not a big deal just an aggravation. I'll use gel or hand sanitizer and it will light quicker anyway.

Igniter timed out again today after cleanout of burnpot, etc... I unplugged for a min or so, plugged back in and attempted again. Ignited in about 5 mins. Earlier I posted that it started up right after I swapped out the surge protector and then assumed my problem the surge protector. Now I'm thinking the two resets (pulling the plug) cleared whatever is the issue. Question, WHAT is the issue?

Igniter timed out again today after cleanout of burnpot, etc... I unplugged for a min or so, plugged back in and attempted again. Ignited in about 5 mins. Earlier I posted that it started up right after I swapped out the surge protector and then assumed my problem the surge protector. Now I'm thinking the two resets (pulling the plug) cleared whatever is the issue. Question, WHAT is the issue?
If your burn pot has holes in the side fins, you should contact your dealer as Harman has modified the pot. It is redesigned with no holes on the side, larger holes over the igniter and a redesign to the attachment of the igniter. I had my new parts installed to day and it lit in 5 mins. They know they have issues with these burn pots. They also replaced my combustion motor cover with a new designed piece. It has a small tooth on the front edge so that you cannot install wrong. All covered under warranty.

Reactions: Peterfield
Status
Not open for further replies.