54" oak vs 066

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bocefus78

Minister of Fire
Jul 27, 2010
Just Outside Indy
I recently bought a used 066 off CL for $400. I didnt have any wood big enough to challenge this saw so I asked smokinJay if he had a log for me. He comes up with this 54" monster! No pics, he may have some. Anyway, the winner is......the 066! Holy chit does that thing run! Ive never ran anything larger than a 440. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! It made pretty short work of a monster log. Threw the chain on the 28 and boogered up the drive links so I had to finish with a 20".Luckily there wasnt much left. WOW! Just wow. You can bury the 20, lean as hard as you want, and the chips still fly! My 361 is gonna start getting dusty I think! Shelf dust that is.

an 066 for $400 bucks? :ahhh: You lucky dog!! I don't think I could have contained myself on a deal like that..... :zip: That is a heck of a deal, heck even for a parts saw.........they are animals I will say that. you need to get a big bar and a .404 chipper for that thing to see what it can really do. I plan on having my Stihl 075AV ressurected for the spring (new piston/rings/carb kit/custom ported muffler) for some big oaks we have lined up to cut. Also have a HUGE 6' long black walnut butt that we plan on cutting into 4" thick slabs for rustic tables. still gotta come up with a 4' bar and ripchain for that job. Anyway, you got a great deal on a great saw, just BE CAREFUL WITH THAT HOG!!

361 ...dust...send it my way ill keep the dust knocked off of it

Need to look at the chain tenioner good, but the saw is bad @ss! (Or use a wedge more...) ;-) That tree was in a bad place where the weight shifts every cut. 5 big loads off that trunk.

It was one inch smaller than this one.

Attachments

• oak10.jpg
    oak10.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 544
steeltowninwv said:

+1... ain't that the truth.

mecreature said:
steeltowninwv said:

Magnum's Won this day! ;-)

mecreature said:
steeltowninwv said:

Today, my back reminded me that the 361 will still be in the rotation! lol

Bocefus78 said:
I recently bought a used 066 off CL for $400. I didnt have any wood big enough to challenge this saw so I asked smokinJay if he had a log for me. He comes up with this 54" monster! No pics, he may have some. Anyway, the winner is......the 066! Holy chit does that thing run! Ive never ran anything larger than a 440. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! It made pretty short work of a monster log. Threw the chain on the 28 and boogered up the drive links so I had to finish with a 20".Luckily there wasnt much left. WOW! Just wow. You can bury the 20, lean as hard as you want, and the chips still fly! My 361 is gonna start getting dusty I think! Shelf dust that is.

Bocefus78, sounds like it was a great day. Smokin's info on the 660 played a big part in buying it for milling. The first time I used it for bucking was on the side of a hill on a nice beech, just like butter with a 16 inch bar.

I just dulled up the chain on the 28 inch bar on Saturday, had a birch across the trail which I stopped to cut, lets just say I heard a crack in a tree close to the rhino so I cut the other side then put the 660 in the trailer & hauled ass, picture (don't have yet) will go up this weekend of the split in the tree. In my rush to open the trail after I heard the crack the 660 made like a trencher on the last side of the frozen in birch.

zap

Bocefus78 said:
mecreature said:
steeltowninwv said:

066 had nothing to do with it.....lol The 8,000 lbs of Oak on the other hand Did! :lol:

smokinjay said:
Bocefus78 said:
mecreature said:
steeltowninwv said:

066 had nothing to do with it.....lol The 8,000 lbs of Oak on the other hand Did! :lol:

LOL... I got a kink in my neck and back and dont even have an 066

mecreature said:
smokinjay said:
Bocefus78 said:
mecreature said:
steeltowninwv said:

Niether did his buddy and he was wipe out too! Thank God I was just doing sissy Mulberry! :cheese:

zapny said:
Bocefus78 said:

Bocefus78, sounds like it was a great day. Smokin's info on the 660 played a big part in buying it for milling. The first time I used it for bucking was on the side of a hill on a nice beech, just like butter with a 16 inch bar.

I just dulled up the chain on the 28 inch bar on Saturday, had a birch across the trail which I stopped to cut, lets just say I heard a crack in a tree close to the rhino so I cut the other side then put the 660 in the trailer & hauled ass, picture (don't have yet) will go up this weekend of the split in the tree. In my rush to open the trail after I heard the crack the 660 made like a trencher on the last side of the frozen in birch.

zap

I may end up milling some hard maple with it! I just bought 5 acres of rec property to camp on and its in need of a crap house and a shed for starters. Then a cabin when funds allow. The trees are slated to drop in the next month for a food plot. I guess I better make up my mind, huh?

As far as using it as a trencher.... eh, it happens....and you and the saw are still here. Thats what files are for ;) Edit.....he77, dont you have a 511A?

smokinjay said:
mecreature said:
smokinjay said:
Bocefus78 said:
mecreature said:
steeltowninwv" date="1327900999 said:

Niether did his buddy and he was wipe out too! Thank God I was just doing sissy Mulberry! :cheese:

He went home and unloaded it.....Once home, I sat on the couch all day and only got up to pee or eat! lmao

Bocefus78 said:
zapny said:
Bocefus78 said:

zap

I may end up milling some hard maple with it! I just bought 5 acres of rec property to camp on and its in need of a crap house and a shed for starters. Then a cabin when funds allow. The trees are slated to drop in the next month for a food plot. I guess I better make up my mind, huh?

As far as using it as a trencher.... eh, it happens....and you and the saw are still here. Thats what files are for ;) Edit.....he77, dont you have a 511A?

I had just done the chain the night before with the Oregon 109179, I'lll be doing some chains on Wednesday night.

The land sounds nice.

zap

Bocefus78 said:
zapny said:
Bocefus78 said:

zap

I have one(511a) and also have a pull behind aerator (and tiller) for food plots...Oh and a mill! :cheese: Will trade for deer's! (Atleast the use of the eqiment)

I think 066 or 660s or what ever they call them these days are good saws. Even had one ported show up at one of my GTGs with a 5'bar. But a ported 7900 or Solo 681 is about the baddest ass thing I've seen.

I see your just outside of Indy. Got a good friend over in Martinsville, IN. Why don't you go over there with your 066 and cut some cookies against his 7900 and then get back with me. I like it when people talk smack about there hot saws hehehehehe.

wkpoor said:
I see your just outside of Indy. Got a good friend over in Martinsville, IN. Why don't you go over there with your 066 and cut some cookies against his 7900 and then get back with me. I like it when people talk smack about there hot saws hehehehehe.

Seems the only one talking smack is you!

Bocefus78 said:
mecreature said:
steeltowninwv said:

Just reading about it made my back cringe as I remember the time of wrestling with big saws. Nope. I've had enough of that stuff and don't need it any more. I'm very happy that all the trees on our place do not require a big saw. Still makes my back hurt even with the little saw....

this post makes me jealous. i have some nice 36 inch oak logs laying in my yard that i'd love to rip through with a 660 hopefully sooner than later.

ecocavalier02 said:
this post makes me jealous. i have some nice 36 inch oak logs laying in my yard that i'd love to rip through with a 660 hopefully sooner than later.

What's the problem? $1079.00 & tax, port the muffler, retune, & you're good to go. :cheese: A C

my old Stihl 075 does just fine on the really big stuff.....111cc's and plenty of torque. She's gettin an overhaul this spring, and I'm gonna port it and build a custom muffler. Sure it's not one of those hi-revving hotsaws, but I'm OK with that. Plus if I spent $1100.00 dollars on a saw I would only use a couple times a year, the wife would KILL me....haha....

Scotty Overkill said:
my old Stihl 075 does just fine on the really big stuff.....111cc's and plenty of torque. She's gettin an overhaul this spring, and I'm gonna port it and build a custom muffler. Sure it's not one of those hi-revving hotsaws, but I'm OK with that. Plus if I spent $1100.00 dollars on a saw I would only use a couple times a year, the wife would KILL me....haha....
+1 on that . id use it more than a couple times a year but id still get a wooping. lol.

ecocavalier02 said:
Scotty Overkill said:
+1 on that . id use it more than a couple times a year but id still get a wooping. lol.

I got a 9 yr old boy. He is quickly figuring out that you sometimes have to stand up and take that woopin.

for me I will stay in my own league, cut down both sides like a girl.

mecreature said:
ecocavalier02 said:
Scotty Overkill said:

I got a 9 yr old boy. He is quickly figuring out that you sometimes have to stand up and take that woopin.

for me I will stay in my own league, cut down both sides like a girl.
:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.