54" oak vs 066

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
smokinjay said:
wkpoor said:
I see your just outside of Indy. Got a good friend over in Martinsville, IN. Why don't you go over there with your 066 and cut some cookies against his 7900 and then get back with me. I like it when people talk smack about there hot saws hehehehehe.

Seems the only one talking smack is you!
Good one Smokin. But I am serious in fact so serious here is my cell# 614-361-3296. I won't give out Eric's # here without his permission but he lives just south of Indy. Next time I'm over that way or if anyone is over this way I will be more than happy to cut some cookies with anyone. We can cut them on big rounds and on racing cants. The stop watch doesn't lie. I remember my first GTG. I got whooped something fierce. Was kinda imbarrassing too but I got over it and moved on and learned from it. Brad Snelling has one bad ass 066 and I know how it runs. Seen a few other too. But the run of mill ones run real close to my 395XP stock. I'll take a 7900 or 681 anyday.
Here is the link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eylhTyZSadU to Brad running his 066. Its been to my GTG several times and it is real fast. But stock an 066 makes a great bucking saw just like I use my 395XP. But my 395 has never beat a 7900 racing. The reply will but I'm not racing. I know but it means you are dragging around weight you don't need to.

ss="spellchecked_word">wkpoor said:
ss="spellchecked_word">smokinjay said:
I see your just outside of Indy. Got a good friend over in ss="spellchecked_word">Martinsville, IN. Why don't you go over there with your 066 and cut some cookies against his 7900 and then get back with me. I like it when people talk smack about there hot saws ss="spellchecked_word">hehehehehe.

Good one ss="spellchecked_word">Smokin. But I am serious in fact so serious here is my cell# 614-361-3296. I won't give out Eric's # here without his permission but he lives just south of Indy. Next time I'm over that way or if anyone is over this way I will be more than happy to cut some cookies with anyone. We can cut them on big rounds and on racing cants. The stop watch doesn't lie. I remember my first ss="spellchecked_word">GTG. I got whooped something fierce. Was kinda ss="spellchecked_word">imbarrassing too but I got over it and moved on and learned from it. Brad ss="spellchecked_word">Snelling has one bad ass 066 and I know how it runs. Seen a few other too. But the run of mill ones run real close to my ss="spellchecked_word">395XP stock. I'll take a 7900 or 681 ss="spellchecked_word">anyday.
Here is the link ss="spellchecked_word">http://ss="spellchecked_word">www.ss="spellchecked_word">youtube.com/watch?v=ss="spellchecked_word">eylhTyZSadU to Brad running his 066. Its been to my ss="spellchecked_word">GTG several times and it is real fast. But stock an 066 makes a great bucking saw just like I use my ss="spellchecked_word">395XP. But my 395 has never beat a 7900 racing. The reply will but I'm not racing. I know but it means you are dragging around weight you don't need to.

Ok here what I got. 54 inch oak lets say hes got the all time bad @ss saw. He saves me in a 54 inch red oak cut 20 seconds over a 460/066/880. Now if he can get it on the truck faster than I can I will be impressed.....Other than that cutting a couple cookies mean jack to me. We moved 15000 lbs that day a few onces doesnt mean anything either.

Your right about one thing we are not racing nor does a few seconds on a 54 inch run mean anything. One thing on a modded saw on cuts like that is your re-fueling all the time. (Thats an issue no one talks about)

I'll race anything with a motor, but never really understood chainsaw racing's appeal. I don't think it is a waste of time or stupid, but I'd rather go fast...than hold something that is going fast. If you could make your living based on having a faster saw than everyone else, that would be a different animal...but I don't think that applies here.

I'd rather have a saw that is easy on the body and as reliable as the sunset than a hopped up saw that makes me deaf, my back hurt, my hands numb, and needs a whole lot of TLC in the process.

Again, not knocking the hobby, but I don't see the appeal. Maybe if I ran one I'd get it...but then again, I don't need to ride in a fighter jet to know I'd love riding with the Blue Angels.

lukem said:
I'll race anything with a motor, but never really understood chainsaw racing's appeal. I don't think it is a waste of time or stupid, but I'd rather go fast...than hold something that is going fast. If you could make your living based on having a faster saw than everyone else, that would be a different animal...but I don't think that applies here.

I'd rather have a saw that is easy on the body and as reliable as the sunset than a hopped up saw that makes me deaf, my back hurt, my hands numb, and needs a whole lot of TLC in the process.

Again, not knocking the hobby, but I don't see the appeal. Maybe if I ran one I'd get it...but then again, I don't need to ride in a fighter jet to know I'd love riding with the Blue Angels.

After reading this it's time that I get the first saw that we bought ready to use,(310 Stihl) most of the time it's the 390 with the 660 in the back of the rhino.

zap

lukem said:

I really like the fastest loaders....But heres a cool pick racing.

Attachments

• timbersports7.jpg
    timbersports7.jpg
    103 KB · Views: 173
smokinjay said:
lukem said:

Those aren't throwing dust/chips, they are throwing mulch!! Cool pic, but I still don't see the appeal. At the end of the run they have 2 cookies and mulch in their hair. Maybe there's an adrenaline rush that only comes with doing it.

lukem said:
smokinjay said:
lukem said:

Those aren't throwing dust/chips, they are throwing mulch!! Cool pic, but I still don't see the appeal. At the end of the run they have 2 cookies and mulch in their hair. Maybe there's an adrenaline rush that only comes with doing it.

I see it the same way! Now a loading Competition I would be a big fan. :lol: But thats the hardest part off the job. First up Chris vs MMAUL!

What counts with me is how much firewood or usuable lumber/woodturning blocks I have stacked up at the end of a day.Not how much mulch on the ground or gas I'm burning up.Mulch is a byproduct with me not the prime objective.

Ok, guess ill chime in. I never said squat about it being some race saw. Only that it was faster than anything I have run which is a stock 440.
As far as racing, ill take on anyone on foot. Hell, ill carry your saw and still beat you. Racing saws doesn't appeal to me. I measure cutting speed by dollars per hour. That means getting it on the trailer, not cutting cookies.

Don't get me wrong...I may change my tune after running a race saw, but you won't see me investing to find out.

Bocefus78 said:
Ok, guess ill chime in. I never said squat about it being some race saw. Only that it was faster than anything I have run which is a stock 440.
As far as racing, ill take on anyone on foot. Hell, ill carry your saw and still beat you. Racing saws doesn't appeal to me. I measure cutting speed by dollars per hour. That means getting it on the trailer, not cutting cookies.

Don't get me wrong...I may change my tune after running a race saw, but you won't see me investing to find out.

I was referring to wkpoor's comment, not yours if that's way you took it. Either way, no worries!

Just like anything there are many who really get a thrill from racing a chainsaw just like racing anything. I had the opportunity once to run a alcohol saw and for me that was a thrill. Lobbing off cookies at less than a sec per pass was pretty neat. As for loading well I think I have that pretty much covered with the bodozer grapple. But seriously I was in the same boat serveral yrs ago saying why do I need that. I ran a few ported saws and I was hooked. Hang out in the right crowds and people are unloading saws quite often when they are looking for something faster. Thats how I got my PP346 and paid less than a new one.
I am thinking about holding a spring GTG. If it comes to be I'll post the dates on here. Its only a one day event but pretty much goes all day. A coup[le yrs ago I had 150 chainsaw show. It was a good time by everyone.

smokinjay said:
I see your just outside of Indy. Got a good friend over in ss="spellchecked_word">Martinsville, IN. Why don't you go over there with your 066 and cut some cookies against his 7900 and then get back with me. I like it when people talk smack about there hot saws ss="spellchecked_word">hehehehehe.

Good one ss="spellchecked_word">Smokin. But I am serious in fact so serious here is my cell# 614-361-3296. I won't give out Eric's # here without his permission but he lives just south of Indy. Next time I'm over that way or if anyone is over this way I will be more than happy to cut some cookies with anyone. We can cut them on big rounds and on racing cants. The stop watch doesn't lie. I remember my first ss="spellchecked_word">GTG. I got whooped something fierce. Was kinda ss="spellchecked_word">imbarrassing too but I got over it and moved on and learned from it. Brad ss="spellchecked_word">Snelling has one bad ass 066 and I know how it runs. Seen a few other too. But the run of mill ones run real close to my ss="spellchecked_word">395XP stock. I'll take a 7900 or 681 ss="spellchecked_word">anyday.
Here is the link ss="spellchecked_word">http://ss="spellchecked_word">www.ss="spellchecked_word">youtube.com/watch?v=ss="spellchecked_word">eylhTyZSadU to Brad running his 066. Its been to my ss="spellchecked_word">GTG several times and it is real fast. But stock an 066 makes a great bucking saw just like I use my ss="spellchecked_word">395XP. But my 395 has never beat a 7900 racing. The reply will but I'm not racing. I know but it means you are dragging around weight you don't need to.

Ok here what I got. 54 inch oak lets say hes got the all time bad @ss saw. He saves me in a 54 inch red oak cut 20 seconds over a 460/066/880. Now if he can get it on the truck faster than I can I will be impressed.....Other than that cutting a couple cookies mean jack to me. We moved 15000 lbs that day a few onces doesnt mean anything either.

Your right about one thing we are not racing nor does a few seconds on a 54 inch run mean anything. One thing on a modded saw on cuts like that is your re-fueling all the time. (Thats an issue no one talks about)
I mentioned in another posts we have done fuel tests at other GTGs but I'll admit we have never measured amount used. Most of us don't do this for a living so its mute to us.

wkpoor said:
Just like anything there are many who really get a thrill from racing a chainsaw just like racing anything. I had the opportunity once to run a alcohol saw and for me that was a thrill. Lobbing off cookies at less than a sec per pass was pretty neat. As for loading well I think I have that pretty much covered with the bodozer grapple. But seriously I was in the same boat serveral yrs ago saying why do I need that. I ran a few ported saws and I was hooked. Hang out in the right crowds and people are unloading saws quite often when they are looking for something faster. Thats how I got my PP346 and paid less than a new one.
I am thinking about holding a spring GTG. If it comes to be I'll post the dates on here. Its only a one day event but pretty much goes all day. A coup[le yrs ago I had 150 chainsaw show. It was a good time by everyone.

LOL

sign me up in the mid-range event.

mecreature said:
wkpoor said:

LOL

sign me up in the mid-range event.
sign me up for the vintage/antique category ....lol....

wkpoor said:
smokinjay said:

I mentioned in another posts we have done fuel tests at other GTGs but I'll admit we have never measured amount used. Most of us don't do this for a living so its mute to us.

Thats the point we are not cutting 8x8 or 12x12. We are cutting 54x54's Not saying there is not a ported saw there, but you spend alot of time fuling. Stock 066 on stock 54x54 is a great choice.

Jags said:
Huh, guess I am just not in that big of a hurry. :long:

Modded 70-80 cc saw is slower they just dont hold enough fuel and use it quick on those big cuts54x54 red oak........It will do it but a stock 90cc saw or bigger just bottom line have bigger tanks. ;-)
Too much time in the pits and not enough time loggin miles.

smokinjay said:
Jags said:

Modded 70-80 cc saw is slower they just dont hold enough fuel and use it quick on those big cuts54x54 red oak........It will do it but a stock 90cc saw or bigger just bottom line have bigger tanks. ;-)

I meant to "race a chain saw". My chain saw makes firewood. I ain't in that big of a hurry.

smokinjay said:
wkpoor said:
smokinjay said:
ss="spellchecked_word">wkpoor" date="1327980422 said:

Thats the point we are not cutting 8x8 or 12x12. We are cutting 54x54's Not saying there is not a ported saw there, but you spend alot of time fuling. Stock 066 on stock 54x54 is a great choice.
We will do timed cuts on those too. Maybe not that big just depends on what wood I can come up with. 2yrs ago I went to Eric's over at Indy and he had 30" beach we did times tests on.

wkpoor said:
smokinjay said:
wkpoor said:
smokinjay said:
ss="spellchecked_word">smokinjay" date="1327980904 said:

We will do timed cuts on those too. Maybe not that big just depends on what wood I can come up with. 2yrs ago I went to Eric's over at Indy and he had 30" beach we did times tests on.

Time test doesnt mean anything in big wood unless you fill it up and run until the fuel is gone. This will tell you what I already know. My 460 is as hot as a 066, but thats in wood that is more suited to a ported saw.

Jags said:
Your totally missing the point here. At a GTG you can run all different sizes of saws and find out what saw can cut what size wood the most efficiently comparing weight and power.

smokinjay said:
wkpoor said:
smokinjay said:
wkpoor said:
smokinjay said:
ss="spellchecked_word">wkpoor" date="1328049013 said:
ss="spellchecked_word">smokinjay" date="1327980904 said:

Time test doesnt mean anything in big wood unless you fill it up and run until the fuel is gone. This will tell you what I already know.
In all fairness Smokin, how many people are cutting 48"+ all day long. Common now be real. And in my case saw performance still trumps fuel economy because I'll make a few cuts then get on the tractor to load. I do want a lightweight powerful saw, that is the goal here. Realistically 24" is the range for most big wood and thats the range I want real perfromance in. But hey. all this talking back and forth is good. I put a thread on the arborsist site about possible dates for a GTG. Load up your stuff and come on over where we can really hash it all out. Thats the only true way to tell whats what.

wkpoor said:
Jags said:
Your totally missing the point here. At a GTG you can run all different sizes of saws and find out what saw can cut what size wood the most efficiently comparing weight and power.

lol.....This is a thread for a 066 in 54inch red oak wood that is the point! Someone brings 2 gallons of fresh mix and another 2 gallons of fuel is the hero that day!

"54" oak vs 066" :cheese:

Attachments

• zz.jpg
    zz.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 113
wkpoor said:
Jags said:

Great - now I am going to go port, tune and muff mod my Homelite 240. See if I can get that little bugger to pull an 18" bar like my 361. Its lighter you know.

(this is tongue in cheek, but does somewhat get my point across).

Status
Not open for further replies.