55-SHP10 not burning as hot as expected

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kait27

Oct 10, 2013
Hi all, we have a new summer's Heat 55-SHP10 installed over Columbus Day weekend. It's been going great, burning steadily since probably last week of October. We're burning Lignetics, which I've been lead to believe are a pretty good premium hardwood pellet. Burned about 20 bags so far- about a bag a day, maybe more like a bag every 28-30 hours when it's been less cold. Stove is hooked up to a tstat set at 70.

A little background about the layout if you need it: 3-bedroom typical ranch with an addition off the kitchen- 12x16. Total house sf is 1200 but two bedrooms have the door closed all the time so probably heating about 1000sf. Former exterior kitchen door and window are now open to fully-insulated & finished addition. Stove is in the addition in the corner that faces the kitchen doorway.

Now, the reason I question how hot it's burning: My brother, who has been our adviser and installer throughout the whole process, has the same sister model from Home Depot by Englander, about 5 years old. We're both burning lignetics with a steady setting of Heat5/Blower9. I understand we can't compare the overall temperature of the house because our houses are different- he has an open 2-story cape, I have a split entry ranch, he has replacement windows but probably less insulation, I have drafty crappy windows but 6" of insulation all around- I get that. However, using a meat thermometer in the same place on our stoves, he gets much, much higher readings. I seem to top out (at 5-9) around 140°, he can get to 200°. Last night, temps were unseasonably cold for November in Mass, single digits over night, windy, with daytime high yesterday of about 25, today maybe 30. When we got up this morning the stove had run all night at 5-9 and the temperature in the house was 62 at the thermostat. The addition where the stove is usually gets to about 80, and it was 76 in there. This is the first time the tstat temp has dropped like that- we've seen it go to 67, 68, but never 62! My brother, on the same setting and same pellets, had no problems staying at 70 at 5-9 overnight. (Again, i understand we can't compare the temps in the house, but I'd like to compare output at meat thermometer.)

Any thoughts as to what I could need to tweak? I'd like to see higher temps at the meat thermometer.

Stove had regular weekly cleaning yesterday morning- burnpot and back plate of the burning area removed, everything vacuumed out. That's all we've done for maintenance so far because the stove is new and we've only burned under half a ton.

If the house is losing more heat and the air into the convection blower is colder, the air out of the convection blower will be colder. The stove isn't keeping up with the heat loss load of the house. I think that you need to set the burn rate higher. For a cold night like last night try 7-9.
You might want to check to see if the burn mode is set to the correct letter/number for your model. Information on how to do that is on the ESW website.

I guess my question is, why can my brothers stove get such a higher heat output at the meat thermometer when all other conditions are the same- we're only 15 minutes apart, so the outside air is the same temperature, same pellets, essentially the same stove.

I guess my question is, why can my brothers stove get such a higher heat output at the meat thermometer when all other conditions are the same- we're only 15 minutes apart, so the outside air is the same temperature, same pellets, essentially the same stove.
Outside air doesn't matter as much as heat loss from your house. For a given quantity of heat produced the stove will raise the temperature a fixed amount for the same mass of air flowing through the heat exchanger.
If his is a five year old installation and his convection blower is dirty, it may not move as much air as an newly installed unit. Less air through the exchanger would result in higher output temperatures, but no more heat delivered to the room.

Status
Not open for further replies.