55SHP-10 room blower whining

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blackbear219

Oct 31, 2011
Maine
Hi all,

I wrote to Mike too so I am sure he will get back to me with an answer but I figured I would pose the situation to the rest of you also. Can't hurt.

I have a Englander 55SHP-10 (same thing as the 25PDVC) that I just bought new in the fall and the last couple of weeks the room blower has been making a whining noise. "Whine" is the best word I can come up with for it...but it's not really a high pitched whine. It's kind of like putting a marble in a coffee can and spinning it around, if that makes any sense. It's definitely way louder than it was originally. I figured that maybe there is somewhere to lube up the fan bearings or something, but I don't see anything about it in the manual.

Maybe there is some ash buildup in the blower that needs to be cleaned out? I did find in the manual that the blower should be cleaned annually, but it's only been half a season so not sure.

It is still blowing just as hard as it always has (as far as I can tell) but since this noise is new I can only assume it is an indicator that I should probably do something to fix it or risk shortening the life of my blower.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
-bear

blackbear219 said:
Hi all,

I wrote to Mike too so I am sure he will get back to me with an answer but I figured I would pose the situation to the rest of you also. Can't hurt.

I have a Englander 55SHP-10 (same thing as the 25PDVC) that I just bought new in the fall and the last couple of weeks the room blower has been making a whining noise. "Whine" is the best word I can come up with for it...but it's not really a high pitched whine. It's kind of like putting a marble in a coffee can and spinning it around, if that makes any sense. It's definitely way louder than it was originally. I figured that maybe there is somewhere to lube up the fan bearings or something, but I don't see anything about it in the manual.

Maybe there is some ash buildup in the blower that needs to be cleaned out? I did find in the manual that the blower should be cleaned annually, but it's only been half a season so not sure.

It is still blowing just as hard as it always has (as far as I can tell) but since this noise is new I can only assume it is an indicator that I should probably do something to fix it or risk shortening the life of my blower.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
-bear

Check the blower motor, lubrication information is frequently on the makers plate.

Check your convection blower for oil ports in these locations: (btw, ports may be on the underside....the motor CAN be rotated so oil ports are on top)

Attachments

• blower lube ports.jpg
    blower lube ports.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 240
  • ConvectionBlowerOilHolesSC.jpg
    ConvectionBlowerOilHolesSC.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 215
Had this issue with my stove when first purchased after a few months of use,
Actually sent Mike a u tube video of the stove "singing" !!!
Englander replaced both my motors no questions asked.
No more singing..

Status
Not open for further replies.