6" clay flue...can I install a wood stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

emt1581

Minister of Fire
Jul 6, 2010
PA
I have been doing some homework on a wood stove. Then I went and measured the opening to the flue down in my basement and it's only 6". Now since the liners are a little over 6"... is there any hope for using this thing to hook a wood stove up to or would I have to install the pipe along side the house?

Thanks!

-Emt1581

It sounds like you are measuring the thimble, you need to measure the flue itself. The thimble can be removed if necessary. Are you sure it needs re-lined? If all is sound, you could run a 6" stove on that clay flue.

webby3650 said:
It sounds like you are measuring the thimble, you need to measure the flue itself. The thimble can be removed if necessary. Are you sure it needs re-lined? If all is sound, you could run a 6" stove on that clay flue.

Thimble? I figured that was shorter than what I'm seeing. This is a good 3-4" long and then it's sealed off (since it was never used).

EDIT: Plus this pipe is attached right to the concrete of the foundation.

-Emt1581

Need photos, pictures are worth a thousand words.

emt1581 said:
webby3650 said:

Thimble? I figured that was shorter than what I'm seeing. This is a good 3-4" long and then it's sealed off (since it was never used).

EDIT: Plus this pipe is attached right to the concrete of the foundation.

-Emt1581
The thimble is the clay pipe that is connected to the clay flue liner, it can be various lengths, can you post a picture of what you are looking at?

Status
Not open for further replies.