6 inch Insulated Liner in a 13x13 Flue aka "hot dog in a hallway"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jambx

Jan 10, 2011
Southern Connecticut
I just installed my liner (and insulation) yesterday - lots of fun acually and what I thought would have been a fight to get it down the chimney was a piece of cake. The 6 inch insulated liner litteraly flew down the 13x13 flue so much so I am very concern about the amount of weight which is bearing on the top plate.

Initally I thought the liner / insulation would be a tight fit in the flue which would then take up some of the weight. Am I missing something here? Did anyone else have a 13x13 flue size and add a liner to it?

I am now thinking about trying to add a clamp to the liner and have it rest against where the damper would normally rest to take up some of the weight off the top plate. Am I over thinking this?...

Thanks!

~jim

It will be fine just like it is. Of course you know that all of us that couldn't get that rig down our chimneys all hate you. :lol:

Thanks - feel a little better - just seems like a lot of weight being held up by a thin plate.

I have to say it was comical since I looked at some you-tube videos on how to install a liner and every one showed the installer wresiling with it - when I put it in it shot down the chimney only to hear the girl friend screaming on the other end as I told her to help by pulling on the liner at the same time I was putting it in. She wasnt to ammused.

Jambx said:
Thanks - feel a little better - just seems like a lot of weight being held up by a thin plate.

I have to say it was comical since I looked at some you-tube videos on how to install a liner and every one showed the installer wresiling with it - when I put it in it shot down the chimney only to hear the girl friend screaming on the other end as I told her to help by pulling on the liner at the same time I was putting it in. She wasnt to ammused.

That stove is a lot of steel down at the bottom holding up a thin tube of broil foil. No worries.

I hear ya on the sliding down. The basement stove needed a tee attached to the liner. Neighbor on the bottom tugging and me on the roof. 7 X 11 tiles and that tee just was not going to go. I finally pulled the tee off the thing, stormed off the roof and told the neighbor to take a break. And that liner slid down like a greased rope. Went down and eased it sideways into the crock and called it a day.

Neighbor said that if I had known I was gonna get pissed off I could have saved him a trip up the hill. :lol:

You could fill in the gap with loose perlite insulation if it's bugging you. That's what I did on my 12x12 and it's nice and snug. You will probably be fine as is though.

Status
Not open for further replies.