6 month seasoned firewood results inside.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rockey

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 18, 2007
SW Ohio
I don't encourage anyone with little or no experience with woodburning to expect the same results here. In May of this year I cleared about 8 trees in my backyard to make room for a garage. Of those trees were a few maple, walnut, elm and a hickory. When the walnut was split I could hold it up and watch the water run out of it as a constant small stream of water. Since I didnt have a lot of room with all the building materials and heavy equipment in the backyard I decided to stack the freshly cut elm and walnut up by the house in a single row which would receive a lot of sun during the day. As it turns out it was an extremely hot summer with almost no rain since June (we are in a severe drought here). I remember days in October when it was in the 80's and 7% humidity.

Tonight it is supposed to drop in the mid 20's . For this area that is a pretty cold November night especially considering it has been in the 70's for about 6 days. Anywho I decided for sheets and giggles I'd throw a medium split of walnut and a medium split of elm (both cut in May) on the dwindling fire. About an hour into the burn I have had the air turned all the way down and front of the insert is 575. For my insert that is a hot fire considering there are only two splits in there. Its as good a burn as I can get with scrap dimensional lumber that has been in the sun all summer. I don't bother with a moisture meter anymore as I consider my insert results to be more useful empiracal data for me. So it definitely can be done. I wouldn't expect the same from red oak, although I would try it if I had some freshly split. I was one heluva firewood seasoning summer.

Sounds like that cat is eating well.

I did something a solar type setup. Used clear plastic and some vent pipes for moisture.. I was surprised how well it worked.

it has definately been one great year for lower humidity. i hauled in more wood due to the dry weather this year. im sure the wood ive gathered has a good majority of its moisture removed already compared to past years. i do wonder what impact this drought will have on trees in the near future. pete

Rockey said:
I don't encourage anyone with little or no experience with woodburning to expect the same results here. In May of this year I cleared about 8 trees in my backyard to make room for a garage. Of those trees were a few maple, walnut, elm and a hickory. When the walnut was split I could hold it up and watch the water run out of it as a constant small stream of water. Since I didnt have a lot of room with all the building materials and heavy equipment in the backyard I decided to stack the freshly cut elm and walnut up by the house in a single row which would receive a lot of sun during the day. As it turns out it was an extremely hot summer with almost no rain since June (we are in a severe drought here). I remember days in October when it was in the 80's and 7% humidity.

Tonight it is supposed to drop in the mid 20's . For this area that is a pretty cold November night especially considering it has been in the 70's for about 6 days. Anywho I decided for sheets and giggles I'd throw a medium split of walnut and a medium split of elm (both cut in May) on the dwindling fire. About an hour into the burn I have had the air turned all the way down and front of the insert is 575. For my insert that is a hot fire considering there are only two splits in there. Its as good a burn as I can get with scrap dimensional lumber that has been in the sun all summer. I don't bother with a moisture meter anymore as I consider my insert results to be more useful empiracal data for me. So it definitely can be done. I wouldn't expect the same from red oak, although I would try it if I had some freshly split. I was one heluva firewood seasoning summer.

Can't be GOOD!

Look what it did to your chimney!!!

Monkey Wrench said:
Rockey said:

Can't be GOOD!

No need to check the chimbly. In my years of experience I can't even come close to closing the air down with wet wood. These pieces had extremely good secondary combustion. In fact to quote a famous Yale professor "Sounds like that cat is eating well "

Can't be GOOD!

Look what it did to your chimney!!![/quote]

I was talking about your chimney in your Avatar!!

Mad Tom said:
I did something a solar type setup. Used clear plastic and some vent pipes for moisture.. I was surprised how well it worked.

Can you please tell us more? I don't have much room at home to store 2-3 years worth of woods so you trick may help me a lot!!

Sorry I didn't mean to hijack the thread. We can go with new topic. :)

Cheers.....Som

Monkey Wrench said:
Can't be GOOD!

I was talking about your chimney in your Avatar!![/quote]

What? Doesn't yours look like that?

I burn wood with lots of knots.

Rockey said:
Monkey Wrench said:
Can't be GOOD!

I was talking about your chimney in your Avatar!!

What? Doesn't yours look like that?

I burn wood with lots of knots.[/quote]

Good one! :)

Shari

Status
Not open for further replies.