6'' SS liner swept.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RIJEEP

Hearth Supporter
Oct 18, 2009
Lil' Rhody
Hi Guys.

The January thaw temps in RI allowed me to sweep my liner today. This is the first time Ive done it myself. It went really well, and I got to take my time and really cleaned up the hearth and stove as well.

My question is, with all that friction taking place in the liner, can the bristles (poly) wear on the liner or damage the liner?

Thanks

Congratulations on your first sweep of the chimney. Rest in peace knowing those bristles will not damage your chimney.

10 - 4. Thanks gents!!!

cmonSTART said:
Poly is fine, just stay away from the steel brushes.
I am very interested in your opinion since you are a chimney sweep. So you think that steel brushes WILL damage a SS liner? I know some of the manufactures recommend poly brushes and some don't say. I used a steel brush for over 20 years on the SS Majestic Fireplace triple wall flue (I don't think they had poly brushes then) and never saw any damage. It of course was a solid flue not a flexible one. I now do have a flexible SS liner and I tried my steel brush on a piece I had left after the install and I couldn't see any visible damage. I did buy a poly brush, but the first time I went to use it I couldn't get it in the flue it was so tight, so I used my steel brush. So do you think I should trim the poly brush and start using it? Look forward to your experienced thoughts and advise.

I'm thinking about doing my chimney, but have a question before I buy the flex rods and the brush. I have a SS chimney running 18' up the outside of my house with a clean out at the base. About 5' up the run the chimney bends about 35 degrees to the left (to get around a window) for about 4' and then straightens out for the balance of the run. If I buy the regular fiberglass rods will these rods be able to handle that bend w/o breaking. Or should I buy the more flexible rods which are unfortunately a lot more expensive ? I'd hate to buy the regular rods and waste the money only to find out I have to buy the more flexible ones. Anybody know the breaking points of these rods ?

carlo said:
I'm thinking about doing my chimney, but have a question before I buy the flex rods and the brush. I have a SS chimney running 18' up the outside of my house with a clean out at the base. About 5' up the run the chimney bends about 35 degrees to the left (to get around a window) for about 4' and then straightens out for the balance of the run. If I buy the regular fiberglass rods will these rods be able to handle that bend w/o breaking. Or should I buy the more flexible rods which are unfortunately a lot more expensive ? I'd hate to buy the regular rods and waste the money only to find out I have to buy the more flexible ones. Anybody know the breaking points of these rods ?
Don't know about the "more flexible rods" but my son has a masonry flue with a SS liner and it has a similar bend. We didn't even try the rods. Just tie a rope on both sides of the brush and pull it down and then back up. Works fine. One side of most brushes have and eye for that purpose and they sell threaded eye adapters. We just bought a cheap female pipe T and threaded on that end of the brush and ran a rope through the rest of the T....works great.

^^^^^^ sounds very innovative and I'm sure it works well. But I do not wanna go up to the roof. It's too high and steep plus I'd have to take off the cap. Don't wanna go up there at all. I wanna work with my feet on the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.