1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

$600 Blaze King

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by jeff_t, Sep 6, 2012.

1. jeff_t

jeff_t Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE MI
    Certainly not pristine, but not bad either. Needs some gaskets and a cat, as I expected. A paint job as well. The original owner painted over rust with what lools like bbq paint.

2012-09-06_20-17-56_124-1.jpg
    raybonz, Pallet Pete and BrowningBAR like this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. pyronut

pyronut Member

Loc:
    El paso, TX
    Thats a great deal. Congrats.
  3. jeff_t

jeff_t Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE MI
    It's for my sister. Should have less than $1k into it altogether. Might have to invest in side shields. Depends on her final decision for install location.
  4. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    SWEET! She is lucky to have such a helpful brother. Nice find.

You might want to fire it up outdoors first. I wouldn't trust that they used high-temp paint unless verified. Hope so, but you never know.
  5. rdust

rdust Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Awesome! I'm glad someone here was able to buy it, it was a smokin' deal!
  6. jeff_t

jeff_t Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE MI
    It actually looks kinda crappy up close. I'm probably going to sandblast and paint with Stove Brite.
  7. rdust

rdust Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    She'll look good once shes all cleaned up! I assume it's not all cracked and warped so I still say you did good. :)
  8. jeff_t

jeff_t Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE MI
    It did get hot at some point. The handle on the bypass is charred. The frame that the bypass gasket sits in is questionable. Otherwise it's in fine shape. I'll investigate more in the next few days. I'm done for today, been up since 1am.

As always, any trip into Roscommon requires a stop at the firemen's memorial. The annual festival is next weekend.

2012-09-06_17-04-09_474-1.jpg
    zap, Lewiston and fox9988 like this.
  9. firefighterjake

firefighterjake Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Unity/Bangor, Maine
    Very cool . . . thanks for sharing.
  10. PapaDave

PapaDave Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MI - in the mitten
    Glad you got that.
    You're a gooder brother.
  11. Highbeam

Highbeam Minister of Fire

Loc:
    base of Mt. Rainier on the wet side, WA
    Mmmm, gloss black rattle can. 96 cents a can at walmart. At least they didn't paint over the door.
  12. jeepmedic

jeepmedic Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Cashton, WI
    Awesome score ! My parents used a blaze king to heat our home when I was a kid. I hated stacking all that wood.....and to think 30 years later Im doing the same thing and ENJOY it :)
  13. Todd

Todd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lake Wissota
    Nice score, hope that bypass frame is ok and makes a good seal. I'm installing my BK Princess Parlor on Tuesday. Can't wait to try her out.
  14. rdust

rdust Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    I look forward to your review on the Princess once it gets cold. I'm interested to see how it compares to your previous cat experience/s. :)
  15. jeff_t

jeff_t Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE MI
    I think it will be okay with a new gasket. Everything else on the stove is fine, even the baffles on the sides and back are straight. My guess is that it was burned with the bypass open all the time, after the cat plugged up.

I think you'll find the Princess works as expected. No surprises.
  16. jeff_t

jeff_t Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE MI
    So, I called my local dealer today to get a price on a new cat, and to see if I could get replacements for the warped pieces. He said they usually by Condar cats, as they cost less than getting them from BK. The problem was that he couldn't find one for this stove from Condar, and had no idea about a cat from BK. He actually called BK, then called me back and said that I could find part numbers in the manual, then call him back and let him know what part numbers I needed. After I called BK and got the part numbers for the 'bypass gasket retainers', in about two minutes from somebody who knew what I was talking about, I was told I could order them from any Blaze King dealer and have them dropped shipped to me. If I didn't want to get them from my local dealer....

So, anybody want to recommend a BK dealer? There is one here who posts regularly during the 'season', but I can't think of who it is.

Anybody have any experience with FireCat combustors/Applied Ceramics? Price seems good http://www.firecatcombustors.com/ACI-64C-p/wa-4152000855.htm
  17. rdust

rdust Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    BKVP posted the firecat link last year so it should work fine.
  18. jeff_t

jeff_t Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE MI
    Thought I had seen it here someplace.
  19. jeff_t

jeff_t Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE MI
    Yikes! Not sure how I missed this one, but I found it today when I was stripping paint. It's almost the entire length of the bottom of the door. Bad weld from the factory, absolutely no penetration into the door frame. Bet there weren't any 40 hour burns in this stove. 2012-09-16_15-55-56_583.jpg
  20. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    Wow, nice find. Good thing you are going over it carefully.
  21. DAN66

DAN66 Member

Loc:
    Marshall,Michigan
    That one heck of a oops that you found. glad you found that before it had a melt down.
  22. jeff_t

jeff_t Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE MI
    Finally was able to order the parts I need. On the fourth try. The first dealer, where I bought my stove, had no clue. The next two never called me back. I already had the part numbers from BK, so nobody had to do any work. Finally spoke to Konieczka Heating & Cooling in Davison, MI. They person I talked to was extremely pleasant and helpful. She even apologized because it took half an hour to get back to me. I realize there isn't much money to be made here, but I'll never call the first three again.
  23. rdust

rdust Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    I bought my convection deck from Konieczka, they were really good people. The convection deck was built backwards. When I went back to exchange it I took the wife and kid with me. The guy working who I assume was the owner gave my son a model truck they had on display! If I need anything for my stove that's where I go.
  24. weatherguy

weatherguy Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central Mass
    Firecat is a good place for combustors, I got my new one from them, as far as Condor I remember someone having trouble inserting his combustor into his princess, he said he had to wrestle it in and it was a pain, the one I got from firecat went right in no problem and works great.
  25. jeff_t

jeff_t Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE MI
    Finally got it ready. Just have to slide the cat in. Had some trouble getting parts from BK, but again thanks to Konieczka, it got straightened out. Everything is welded up, 3.5 cans of metallic black Stove Bright, and new gaskets. If anybody is interested, the first coat is good for a whole can!

Now I just have to build a throne.

Attached Files: