61 bags and time to clean

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kykel

Feeling the Heat
Jan 4, 2009
long Island
Its was finally time. I broke down and cleaned the stove after 61 bags. 10 New england from schayler ny plant(Terrible) and 51 bags turman (Great). I didnt do it exactly like Imacman did because I emptied the ash pan once and cleaned the glass a few times but this stove did a great job of keeping itself clean otherwise.I took some pics. Every body loves pics including myself.

Attachments

• 169.jpg
    169.jpg
    114.2 KB · Views: 762
  • 167.jpg
    167.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 747
  • 168.jpg
    168.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 740
  • 170.jpg
    170.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 761
Hey no cheating and the ash is suppose to be at least half way up the windows and a little hint ditch the fake logs you can hold more ash that way ;-).

Smokey, My ash falls directly to the ash pan, Similar to your stove. Trying to send the rest of the pics.

imacman said:
Not bad, for a rookie. ;-)

Yeah but you noticed how he ignored the hint for holding more ash while still burning. The young ones are getting hard to train these days ;-).

gotta love the stove cleaning pictures while watching the Giants and Cowboys play. Go G-Men!!!!

though most Long Islanders are Jets fans.

thanks Kykel

Hey Pete

Is this the new official record now??

I guess mine comes with an asteric. I emptied my ash pan once and cleaned the glass a few times during my 61 bag run.

Don2222 said:
Hey Pete

No...he cleaned the ash pan, and had the front door open to "clean the glass" a few times too.....hmmmmmm. :mad:

Imacman, I couldnt have done the 61 bags with out empting the ash pan. (or could I ;-) ) I suppose if I let it go the ash would have worked its way up into the fire box area.

vin said:
gotta love the stove cleaning pictures while watching the Giants and Cowboys play. Go G-Men!!!!

thanks Kykel

Your right about that vin. Jets fan here. See you Christmas eve. Also does your stove have the heat shield under the heat tubes

Hello

If it was up to Baseball Commissioner Ford Frick, the record would not stand!!

But the record books will just have to show the 61 bags with an Asterisk because of the ash pan being emptied, just like Roger Maris and his 61 homer record in one season with 8 more games. :)

See >> http://www.baseball-almanac.com/feats/feats12b.shtml

kykel said:
vin said:

thanks Kykel

Your right about that vin. Jets fan here. See you Christmas eve. Also does your stove have the heat shield under the heat tubes

It does have the heat shield under the tubes. PITA to take out and clean. but if it keeps the tubes from wearing down early, well worth it.

imacman said:
Don2222 said:
Hey Pete

No...he cleaned the ash pan, and had the front door open to "clean the glass" a few times too.....hmmmmmm. :mad:

Hmmmmmm is right...... Dont look like 61 bags to me??? More pics are needed. Imacman did this until the Holidays, (during a COLD year - we haven't seen anything yet).

Ive been burnin for a bit. That dont seem like 61 bags. Maybe its the pics... Or the stove. Or me gettin old.

My Quad looks worse than that with around a dozen bags?

Congratulations on going that long. Im looking forward to purchasing a M-55 steel this Spring. Maybe next year I will be a contender. But I wont dare challenge the legend (macman) this yr.

The 61 bags is legit. Never touched the inside if the stove. I did open the bottom once to remove the ash pan but that had no effect on the area of the fire box. All the fly ash falls directly into the ash pan due to the area around the burn pot being opened, there is no bottom to catch the ash. All the ash in the burn pot either falls through the slits in it or gets pushed out by the agitator and falls into the ash pan. If you look at the pic of the ash pan you can see its full and that was about the same amount as the first time I emptied it. I couldnt fit all the pics in one post so There is more on a second post.(cleaning pics continued)

Didnt see the other thread. Be best to post some of them in this thread, that way they are all together and we can see the play by play. The threads will become seperated over time and someone wont see the ash pan pics.

My mistake... Posted and went to bed. Those stoves see to be the real deal. I stopped to look at one in action the other day. The flame in the 55 is much more soothing than my Quad (like a violent tornado) and looks more like the flame in my Fahrenheit.

Congratulations on going that long. Although I gotta say I have only burned about 17 bags of pellets to date (12 Quad and 5 Fahrenheit). Last year, I was close to a ton by now. But I have been using the Woodstove for the most part, as tenps just started getting cold. Been a rather mild yr so far......

Good luck with that stove. Im looking to replace the Quad this Spring with the M-55 Stell. Bigger and easier to load hopper and larger ash pan. That and a Cast stove wont fit the decor in the house.

Again, didnt mean to offend you in any way. My Quad has Open sides and a deep drop on both sides of the pot. So it can take quite a bit of ash. You have a jeck of a stove and you just proved that they can go extended periods without cleaning.

What were the temps that were coming out pf the stove after all that abuse? Convection temps had to skyrocket after cleaning.

DexterDay said:
Hmmmmmm is right...... Dont look like 61 bags to me??? More pics are needed. Imacman did this until the Holidays, (during a COLD year - we haven't seen anything yet).

Ive been burnin for a bit. That dont seem like 61 bags. Maybe its the pics... Or the stove. Or me gettin old.

My Quad looks worse than that with around a dozen bags?
Gentlemen....Those who have never burned Turman will never understand Turman. I believe this entirely- As I live it every day. Kykel- I'm on your side and I'm a believer!

vinny11950 said:
kykel said:
vin said:

thanks Kykel

It does have the heat shield under the tubes. PITA to take out and clean. but if it keeps the tubes from wearing down early, well worth it.

Ok.. So which one of you is going to come and clean my stove?? LMAO.... Ill never get it back together the way it is supposed to be!!!

I tend to clean my stove every week. I notice a big difference after cleaning with the amount of heat it puts out. The exchanger has a little ash on it but, you notice a difference. Why would you wait so long before cleaning, and did you notice any drop off in performance.

Dan

I haven't so much as opened the door to my stove since the start of the month when i did a full cleaning, and don't plan on it again till the end of the month... gonna see how many bags I can burn in that time :D

I know it won't be 60+ unless I can resist the urge to clean it till it stops working :eek:

76brian said:
I haven't so much as opened the door to my stove since the start of the month when i did a full cleaning, and don't plan on it again till the end of the month... gonna see how many bags I can burn in that time :D

I know it won't be 60+ unless I can resist the urge to clean it till it stops working :eek:

Brian
You wont be able to do 60 unless you empty the ash pan. I did it once during the 60 and it was pretty full. seems to hold about 30 bags worth of ash. Also depends on the pellets being used.

kykel said:
76brian said:

Brian
You wont be able to do 60 unless you empty the ash pan.

Based on how much was in there after 15-20 bags, I guarantee you I can do 60 without emptying the ash pan. The only doubt I have is, can I do 60 without scraping the burn pot... :)

The P43 has a huge ash pan, and the Cubex are pretty low ash. Harman's recommended ash pan emptying interval is after 1 ton (50 bags). I'm pretty sure with a really clean pellet I can stretch that out quite a bit.

SmokeyTheBear said:
If Brian has the all oak Cubex he'll have zero trouble doing 60 without emptying his ash pan.

That's for sure. It's funny, when I burn Clear Choice I can go almost a ton and a half between ash pan empties. With Allegheny's I am lucky if I can get 30 bags in before I have to empty the ash pan.

SmokeyTheBear said:
imacman said:
Not bad, for a rookie. ;-)

Yeah but you noticed how he ignored the hint for holding more ash while still burning. The young ones are getting hard to train these days ;-).

Don't worry, he'll get sick of those fake logs soon enough. I got sick of mine after 2 cleanings.

Status
Not open for further replies.