7" Chimney Liner with 8" Stove Pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

argali66

Aug 10, 2012
Orland, Maine
Hi Guys,

I am new on here and doing my best with a Wood Stove change here at my House. I found a Hearthstone H-1 and am picking it up on Saturday for a song. SO, the new Problem/Question is.

I pulled my old Stovepipe down and measured inside the Chimney. It appears that I have a 7" x 7" Square Chimney Liner. The Hearthstones Stove Pipe calls for 8" Pipe. This means that once the Pipe goes into the Chimney the Rest of the way up and out will be traveling down a 7" Square. I am sure that 7"'s Squared is bigger than 7"'s Round, but it concerns me that the Stoves Exhaust is 8"'s.

Do you think this will work alright pumping 8" Exhaust into a 7"x7" Square Chimney Liner?

Thanks for any help offered.

Steve

I just re-measured the Chimney Liner.

It looks like it is 6 7/8"'s. That would mean:

Chimney Liner 47.27 Square Inches
Stove Pipe 50.27 Square Inches

What do you guys think? Will the Stove work the right way?

Thanks again!

Steve

You can't compare round to square simply with cross sectional area. Gases flow in a circular fashion. I believe the effectiveness of your 6 7/8" square flue will be the same as a 6 7/8" round flue.

I'm not saying it won't work, but you should probably check with the manufacturer as to whether or not your chimney will work with the stove. It probably depends on the height of the chimney.

The interior condition of this chimney is a critical safety factor. What's the height of the chimney? Has the tile liner been inspected?

Based solely on the cross-sectional areas, it shouldn't be a problem, provided the existing chimney flue is determined by a professional to have been properly constructed and in good, serviceable condition. But those cross-sectional areas are only one part of the overall system installation. You haven't given us much information about that. Got a pic of where this thing's going? How does the stove connect to the flue? How many changes of direction will be in the flow path of the flue gases? What's the total height from stove flue collar to daylight? How are you (or somebody) going to clean the flue? A pic and some more info would really help here. Rick

The best advice would be to check with your local town inspector- he may look at this Black and white NFPA Code 211 would be against you doing that
H-1's will put lots of heat up that chimney too- the simple answer is probably if you're asking if its ok, then you know it might not be. I would not install it, we have to turn these situations down every season.

Stovelark
Enviro EF3 FS pellet
Enviro Empress FPI AC pellet
Enviro 1700 Kodiak FS wood

Based solely on the cross-sectional areas, it shouldn't be a problem, provided the existing chimney flue is determined by a professional to have been properly constructed and in good, serviceable condition.

Chimney is professionally installed. Used it all last winter and it did fine with not much creosote build-up. It is a Concrete Style Block Chimney with a Terracota or Clay Type Liner.

How does the stove connect to the flue?

With a Stove Pipe coming out the rear and up into the Chimney. I haven't installed it yet and am suppose dto buy it this Saturday. I was thinking of closing off the existing 6" Hole and having a new 8" Hole cut Horizontal Behind the Stove instead of using a a 45 Degree to go up and then another 45 degree to go into chimney.

How many changes of direction will be in the flow path of the flue gases?

Would like to run straight out the back. Right now I have a 6" Hole 6 Feet up High on the Chimney. If I run it up to the hole that would require (2) 90 Degree Connectors.

What's the total height from stove flue collar to daylight?
25 Feet Minimum.

How are you (or somebody) going to clean the flue?

I have a Chimney Sweep do it from the roof every year.

A pic and some more info would really help here. Rick

Given those parameters, I think it will draft fine. Also, can't the stove be set up to top vent if you want to try the existing hole at the 6' level? If you are thinking about that I could go down and take some shots of my friend's stove.

Would you use a reducer at the stove to chage it from 8" to 6" or use 8" Stove Pipe?

I looked into changing the exhaust to come out the top and it can be done. I just need to buy 3 new Stones to replace on the back of the stove.
I really want to run it out the top. If I can reduce the exhaust output to 6" and go out the top I wouldn't have to buy all new 8" Stove Pipe.Let me know what you think. Also, I know this is asking alot but, could you give me a call at 1-207-951-8767 to ask you a few other stove questions or I could call you.

I would not use the reducer. The manual specifically warns against doing that. Instead I would replace the 6" thimble with an 8" one.

So, cut the hole going into the chimney open to 8"?

I also have a line on a Lopi Liberty that is in really good shape for $550. It vents out the top and is 6" Outlet. Since all this has come up about the Hearthstone stove, I have been considering buying this Lopi instead. What do you think in comparison?

Given the hassle of getting the new back stones and making a new thimble with either approach I can understand why you are considering rear exit.

The Liberty is a fine stove and a good heater. Mod fossil owns one and can help you out with the particulars. If it's in good shape I think $550 is a nice deal. Go for it if you like it.

would you get the Lopi over the Hearthstone?

Hearthstone Pluses: Huge Stove with Huge Firebox. Looks great and the guy is selling it to me for $500.00.
Hearthstone Dowside: 8" Stove Pipe Required ($250 More Bucks) and Cutting a Bigger Hole in Chimney ($100).
or $130 for the Stones and Taking Apart the Stove to move the Exhaust Exit to the Top.

Liberty Stove Pluses: Uses a 6" Outlet and is basically the same size and shape as my Arrow Wood Stove I am replacing. I can use my Existing Stovepipe and connect it right up.
Liberty Downside: Not as big as the H-1. Doesn't look like much compared to the H-1 cosmetically.It is 3 Hours away to drive to pick-up.

I really want a Jotul Oslo, but cannot find one in the remote area I live in in Maine. I know where a Jotul 12 Firelight is, but it has a few issues and cost more.

What are your thoughts?

Probably. Another plus for the Lopi will be cleaner burning and potentially less wood consumed. And it is still easy to get parts for. The Hearthstone does have a big fire chamber and an appetite to go with it. It's secondary combustion system is a basic one tube setup.

would you get the Lopi over the Hearthstone?

Hearthstone Pluses: Huge Stove with Huge Firebox. Looks great and the guy is selling it to me for $500.00.
Hearthstone Dowside: 8" Stove Pipe Required ($250 More Bucks) and Cutting a Bigger Hole in Chimney ($100).
or $130 for the Stones and Taking Apart the Stove to move the Exhaust Exit to the Top.

Liberty Stove Pluses: Uses a 6" Outlet and is basically the same size and shape as my Arrow Wood Stove I am replacing. I can use my Existing Stovepipe and connect it right up.
Liberty Downside: Not as big as the H-1. Doesn't look like much compared to the H-1 cosmetically.It is 3 Hours away to drive to pick-up.

I really want a Jotul Oslo, but cannot find one in the remote area I live in in Maine. I know where a Jotul 12 Firelight is, but it has a few issues and cost more.

What are your thoughts?

HehHeh . . . I never really thought of Orland as remote. I assume you're talking used Oslos and not new since Evergreen Home and Hearth sells the Jotul line in Ellsworth and Brewer.

Not sure if this is still around . . . would be a bit of a drive admittedly.

http://maine.craigslist.org/ppd/3222400024.html

Not sure where in NH this is . . . or if the Oslo they have pictured is still available.

http://nh.craigslist.org/for/3200205760.html

Ditto for this one in "Central NH".

http://nh.craigslist.org/app/3221878549.html

In Lebanon, NH . . .

http://nh.craigslist.org/hsh/3212713962.html

Saw your ad in Uncle Henrys and Craigslist . . . finding a decent, used one now could be tough . . . everyone and their cousin are scarfing them up or think their vintage piece of rust bucket 55-gallon stove is worth big money . . . good luck though . . . I'll keep my eye out for ya . . . may not hurt to hit up Evergreen though and let them know you're looking for a used Oslo in case someone wants to trade one in for something different, larger, smaller, etc.

FYI, the Oslo is a smaller stove than either the Hearthstone or the Liberty. That's not a problem as long as the stove is sized correctly to the area being heated. But we lack that info.

Status
Not open for further replies.