7 degrees warmer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisasst

Minister of Fire
Aug 13, 2008
cortland ny
well I put plastic around my windows and I have managed to make my room about 7 degrees warmer. It is 12 degrees out and 70 in my room. guess I can live with that.
As I am trying AWF pellets as I type seems to be good so far.

Bottom line, button up your windows

We "shrink wrap" our windows every year. Takes a lil time to do 14 windows. For the minor cost. Its a major savings

DexterDay said:
We "shrink wrap" our windows every year. Takes a lil time to do 14 windows. For the minor cost. Its a major savings

I also shrink wrap the two windows in each bedroom farthest from the stove. Amazing how much warmer those rooms feel now! :)

For all you shrinkers. Do you have double or single glazed windows? I have all double glazed. I'm wondering if wrapping double glazed would be worth it. I don't think so but if someone is wrapping double glazed and experiencing warmer rooms I might see if it works for me.

In the past when I lived in a house with single glazed windows I always put plastic over them but haven't with the double glazed.

What do you think?

We have double and do it. If you put your hand on the inside pane of your glass it is still somewhat cold. If you put the plastic up. Put your hand on it. Almost feels like your room temp air. It creates another barrier and there is less heat transfer. Resulting in less heat loss. You can never be to efficient. IMHO.

Double panes here. Try it on one window and see if it helps. ;-)

I guess I'll have to try it. Are there kits of does one have to use masking tape or Duct tape, around the outside of the window trim or somehow inside. Not sure I would want to use tape on the wall paint.

Guess I could go over to the big box(s) and see if they have kits.

You can get them as kits that do multiple windows. They come with a roll of clear, narrow, double-sided tape that you put around the frame of the window, stick the plastic to it as tight as possible, then shrink with a hair dryer.

We had storm windows put on most of our thermopane double hung windows. Great for both heating and cooling. Had those honeycomb blinds made for the picture window, and have a sliding storm door for the thermopane atrium door. Much warmer that way. Did a little each year so it didn't cost too much. When we had new siding put on, we also had additional insulation and the house sealed. That really made things warmer. No wonder the OAK made so much difference in this tight house.

Honeycomb blinds? Where does one find these as i have an 8' bay window.

I have yet to see a perfect single or double glazed window. If you feel closely all the way around (especially on a windy day) you'll feel some drafts. I have good Anderson double-pane windows and still have drafts. there's no doubt that a well-sealed sheet of even cheap plastic can really make a difference. I even built a large but light wooden frame with a large sheet of plastic that covers a set of french doors (on the outside) that we don't use in the winter. Of course easy enough to get through if we have to.

Shortstuff said:
I have yet to see a perfect single or double glazed window. If you feel closely all the way around (especially on a windy day) you'll feel some drafts. I have good Anderson double-pane windows and still have drafts. there's no doubt that a well-sealed sheet of even cheap plastic can really make a difference. I even built a large but light wooden frame with a large sheet of plastic that covers a set of french doors (on the outside) that we don't use in the winter. Of course easy enough to get through if we have to.

I agree I just purchased triple pane windows but that doesn't stop air leaks around the perimeter of the windows. I'll try the plastic and see if it helps. I couldn't use it on the old windows, they were so drafty that after I put the plastic up when the wind blew it popped the seal of the plastic. It looked like a kite flying inside the house!

It's amazing how many drafts you can find in any house. Walk up to any outlet on an outside wall and see if you can't feel the draft. Windows, doors, I've even put plastic over my central AC vents in the ceiling.

This my 3rd year doing and I use "double strips" on all four sides of windows. Have had some when I did it with single. But about half failed. I may have got the plastid to tight with the hair dryer. But it helps tremendously. Try and go as far out on the frame as possible. I did a trial this year and bought a couple that have channel locking systems. It has a channel that sticks to the frame. Hold plastic up and insert the channel "locks". (Strips that lock in creating an air-tight seal). Everyone's set-up may be different. But it has worked for me. Good luck

I used to have a girlfriend who liked to be shrink wrapped ...

Until one day you accidentally covered her mouth and nose.

My 1952 Cape has this huge 90"x70" custom bay/single pane window, the wood is curved and very unique around here, had several replacement cost's of everyone being around $4500, they also make you use tempered glass due to the size, the bottom of the window is less than a foot from the floor.

The house was redone before we bought and totaly gutted except for that window....wonder why......all other doors/windows are new thermopane.
First winter 2 yr's ago we had alot of ice buildup so i bought a shrink wrap kit for a patio window, the sticky tape they give you isnt very good so last year i bought some half crown moulding and cut and nailed it to the window, looks great and sealed real tight!
I read online that dead air is the best insulation, how good storm windows work as good as newer dual windows.

Wi Thundercat said:
Honeycomb blinds? Where does one find these as i have an 8' bay window.

Also known as cellular blinds. These are a great solution. They are available in single, double and triple cell configurations. More cells = more insulation.

This is just one example:

http://www.levolor.com/products/blinds/trimandgo/cellular-shades/

One has to realize that even top of the line, properly installed windows are nowhere near the level of insulation of a standard R-19 wall. These blinds make a HUGE difference.

One potential downside is that they are such great insulators that condensation can be a problem behind them during cold snaps. I gave up active humidification because of this which halted the problem. We don't miss it much.

VG

Thanks for the links guys! Both the shades and window quilts look like they would work great!

Status
Not open for further replies.