80 degrees and burning wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Henz

Mar 23, 2006
Northville, NY
Well, it is darn close to 80 today but with a cold front approaching I filled the woodring inthe house this morning and gonna be cleaning out the stove when I get home from work. ITs crazy weather, seems weird to think that I will need a fire tonight. Last night it got down to about 38 and I didnt have a fire, the furnace kicked on a couple of times and it was set at 65.

Fire up! You can always open your windows if it gets too hot.

What's the matter - you don't like the comfortable sleep brought on by a chilly night with the windows cracked and plenty of covers on the bed?

I love this time of year for just that reason!

When the room temp drops to 68 we fire up the stove for a hot pulse burn. Just did that tonight with a load of bark wood chips and sweeping off the porch storage area. How can you watch hockey in a cold room,:).
Lets go RED Wings !!!!

My recording digital thermometer said 88 in the shade at 1:35Pm today. (Seems high to me, but Wow!, and rain mixed with snow just a week ago. Today was delightful because the humidity was really low and it was very breezy all day. I cut, split, and stacked all day long, and yes, filled the wood rack inside. Didn't light the stove this AM even though it was cool in the house cause I knew it would warm fast. Another day or two and I know we'll be back to needing a touch of heat in the morn. But it's not long til wood burnin is over this year.

Hell, I leave my boiler set at 53 or 54F and it kicks on once in a while. The secret is down blankets and an electric one for a mattress pad topper set on very low (thats the wifes concession). I prefer it around 58-60 for sleepin just don't leave anything hanging out to freeze.

yeah, 65-68 is nice for us but for us "youngins" with a 2 1/2 and 2 month old chitlins that would be alittle on the nippy side!

Actually, little children are as adjustable as adults, maybe more so. Just put a sweater on them. They'll do fine in the those temps. My wife grew up in a house with no central heat. The bedrooms could get nasty cold, but they all survived.

Hi -

Small children adjust very easily. It is modern rubish that they need molly coddling. My children grew up cool, 5-6 weeks old tent camping for weeks at a time in freezing temps. They are healthy, know enough not to go to bed with wet hair, and can pick out good wool blankets at 50 yard! They doo love sleeping in front of the stove or campfire. I keep it about 68F in the main part of the home, 55 in my bedroom. Elct. heaters in the baths.

ATB,
Mike P

Status
Not open for further replies.