1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crabbypatty

Crabbypatty New Member

Loc:
    Western MA
    the temperature of the back of my stove, with the primary shut all the way is 859.7*f!!!!!. i measured it right where the outlet bolts to the back of the stove when i noticed the dull red glow of the cast iron there. i have read a lot of posts regarding this to be " normal" according to VC but i am still , justifiably, concerned. i have a mag therm on the top of the stove which reads 550* , and another on the outlet collar itself that reads 750* f. i took out my fluke digital temp meter and put the lead on the stove right next to the bolt for the flue collar. so if surface temp x2 equalls interior temp does that mean i am over 1700* inside the secondary chamber? should i be worried? or should i take up blacksmithing and use it like a blast furnace? does the encore nc take its primary and secondary air in through the oak inlet? i am seriously considering a short duct and manual damper to control this baby,.......what do you guys think?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. bjkjoseph

bjkjoseph Member

Loc:
    long island
    i have a vc.and if i did not have a flue damper i would have the china syndrome in my hearth.
  3. ICY99

ICY99 New Member

Loc:
    CENTRAL, NY
    Primary and Secondary air both come through the 3" dia hole in the center/rear/bottom of the stove
  4. ICY99

ICY99 New Member

Loc:
    CENTRAL, NY
    Also, I wouldn't believe any hearsay about some "letter" from VC about glowing parts being normal. The manual clearly states that a glowing stove part = overfire.
  5. Diabel

Diabel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ottawa, ON
    I bet it was nice & toasty in the room :lol:

I covered my AOK 50% with aluminum duct tape & it appears to work. I can control the stove better. Also, I removed the flue collar for cleaning recently & looked at the refactory material, there is only about 3"x3" of exposed cast (not lined with refactory) right by the flue collar & that is the only part that glows.
  6. Crabbypatty

Crabbypatty New Member

Loc:
    Western MA
    it was only 96* f in the room :-/ . so Diabel what kind of temps do you get on your stove, and where do you have you thermo located? do you still shut the primary all the way off or close to it to get a good overnite burn?
  7. Diabel

Diabel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ottawa, ON
    96*! That is warm...

I have a magnetic thermo. on the griddle & that temp will run anywhere from 450* to 650* during the burn cycle. I have a second magnetic thermo. 8" above the flue collar since that is the only single wall exposed & that will peak at 500* & slowly go down to 250*.

As for overnights I leave about 5-10% air open. If I close it totally then I will have a black glass in the morning. I have played with it & noticed that leaving the air open 10% does not reduce my burn time by 10%.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.