1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

A bad time cutting wood.

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Jimbob, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Jimbob

Jimbob New Member

Loc:
    The coldest major city in Canada

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. IanDad

IanDad Member

Loc:
    Central PA
    If you cut wood, hunt, fish, backpack, kayak, work, etc. in remote areas frequently this thing can't be beat for the price. Especially if you are alone:

http://www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=101

Lots of North America has no cell reception. This will summon help as long as you have a clear view of the sky. Not sure if it would have worked under the tree's branches in this case but it's a hell of a gadget for the price. Highly recommended for those that have the potential risk profile.
  3. Jimbob

Jimbob New Member

Loc:
    The coldest major city in Canada
    That is definitely a handy device. Had he had that, he could have called for help right away.
    The guy was lucky temperatures were WAY above average for this time of year, had it have been normal weather, he would have surely froze.
    BTW, how much does that device cost?
  4. WhitePine

WhitePine Feeling the Heat

$99 plus a required subscription. Price was listed on the web page.
  5. Nic36

Nic36 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Decatur, Alabama
    MSRP on the website is $99.99. I wonder if there is a monthly fee to use it?
  6. snowleopard

snowleopard Minister of Fire

7. IanDad

IanDad Member

Loc:
    Central PA
    I believe the annual fee is about $100. We use them in a commercial business so our potential ROI is a little more easier to justify. We also have personnel in very remote areas.

Many of our guys have bought them for their personal backcountry hunting (Montana, Idaho, etc.) trips and for off-shore fishing.

ETA: Valid points made in the above link. I would not classify our workers as Yuppies though, unless you wanna get yer' teeth knocked out by a 250 pound lineman :)
  8. snowleopard

snowleopard Minister of Fire

Thus my first sentence. Good that you have these for folks working remote; I'm betting that you don't send them out alone.

Knew someone who took his little puddlejumper up for a lazy afternoon flight one day, and about half an hour after he landed, noticed planes flying over the airstrip, coming back, starting to circle. About 20 minutes later, the phone rang, and it was someone from the CAP asking if there was an emergency. Turned out he'd accidentally triggered his ELT when getting out of the plane. Apologized for the trouble he caused, and was told, "No, we love it when it turns out that there's no emergency." Good to know that they were there if needed, and I have a lot of respect for folks who will risk so much to help others. Not much patience for people willing to bugger that up for those to whom it's the difference between life and death. I'm glad that they're available--just hate seeing them abused. Wiser minds than mine will sort this one out.
  9. Flatbedford

Flatbedford Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Croton-on-Hudson, suburbs of NYC
    I thought you were gonna say ...is better than a good day at work!