A big thank you - PE Summit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CWD

Oct 1, 2014
Wyoming, USA
I want to say thanks to everyone who steered me to the free-standing PE Summit, esp. begreen. I lit the stove on November 1st and I haven't had to use a second match.

I was concerned with having adequate draft after my bad experience with a Dutch West cast iron medium stove, which I learned too late is a downdraft contraption. As I had thought, and hoped, the only problem was the stove, not my venting nor the height of my chimney.

I burned a few break-in fires outside the house, then installed the stove here at nearly 8,000 ft above sea level and have not had even the slightest problem. I'm using single-wall duravent pipe, 1.5' up to a 45 degree elbow, 2.feet to another 45, out through my thimble to the lined 6" chimney pipe. I didn't add an inch to my 15' exterior chimney, it is plenty. The stove is a BEAST and draws beautifully. It is indeed an easy-breather. It is also very forgiving of wood conditions - it burns split spruce and cottonwood that's been seasoned barely a year without any trouble. And it eats up rounds like nothing at all.

On the coldest nights of the year so far, down to -25F, I packed the stove well, set the draft to low and came down to plenty of coals after 8 or 9 hours. In fact I had to learn a technique to burn away the excess coals in the mornings. The glass stays clean, it's easy to reach and maintain secondary burn temps. In short, the stove is perfect.

I was looking at a big Osburn or a Regency or a Jotul as well as the Summit, but the recommendations here steered me to the PE. If anyone has the same types of concerns I was having - 2,000 sq ft house, high elevation, softer woods, and cold cold nights - look no farther than the Summit. I paid $2000 total - pedestal, no ash drawer - and figure I got a stove that's likely to outlast me.

Thanks again

Thanks for the update. I love a happy ending and am so glad it's working well for you. If you get a chance, post a picture of this beauty with fire in its belly. We love fire!

Status
Not open for further replies.