1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

A Black Locust problem.

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by DMZX, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Locust Post

Locust Post Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeast Ohio
    I'm glad it worked out for you. I like that Locust almost as much as Scotty does. No wait maybe more than he does.o_O
    ScotO likes this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Hickorynut

Hickorynut Burning Hunk

Loc:
    western ky.
    To the poster of the locust and cherry. They make a great combination with the cherry helping the locust burn good!!!
    ScotO likes this.
  3. ScotO

ScotO Guest

I'm not so sure about that, Locust Post......:cool::D
  4. Woody Stover

Woody Stover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern IN
    Good job, great-burning stuff! :cool:
    Looks like a bit of White Oak in there as well...
    ...except for Hedge. :D
    $125?? Yikes!! Last time I got one from a local rental shop it was like fifty bucks. That was several years ago but I doubt the present-day price is anywhere near $125.
  5. ScotO

ScotO Guest

Yeah, hedge is the best. But according to this chart, that's some of the best stuff out there fer BTU's!! No hedge in our area that I've ever cut (it grows here I've just never cut any of it yet) so I stick with the honey locust, black locust, sugar maple, and white oak for my nighttime woods...

http://www.chimneysweeponline.com/howood.htm
  6. Woody Stover

Woody Stover Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern IN
    I've never burned any Hedge either, though there's plenty around here. I recently saw a couple of trees down but haven't approached the guy yet. I think that stuff may be too extreme and may turn out to be a novelty wood for me. Got Pignut, White, Black and Red Oak, BL, Sugar Maple, White Ash, and a host of lesser woods. Those may have to do. :D
    That chart seems to be a little iffy in spots; Sugar Maple the same BTU as BL? I've been using this one; Lots of these values seem to be the norm on many BTU lists...and it reinforces what I would like to believe. :D
    http://www.daviddarling.info/encyclopedia/W/AE_wood_heat_value_BTU.html