A check of my vent pipe (video)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shortstuff

Feeling the Heat
Jun 5, 2008
Southeastern MA
After a little more than 1.5 tons of pellets and per suggestions of others here I decided to check my exhaust vent pipe. I removed a thin coat of high-temp silicone from the joint on the "T" on the back of my stove and using a strap wrench I gave the cap a 1/4 turn to unlock - then removed. You can see the results on the video.

Large File Size - approx. 13 mb
Small file size - approx. 5 mb

Happy Heating!

Steve

very nice instructional movie.
Great idea of yours using your tool to open the bottom cup. Could not be done better.
Theoretically one should not have too much Ash in the pipes. Nevertheless with all these low quality wood pellets one never know.
Thank you for the effort in providing this movie.

Very cool, thanks for the vid.

Shortstuff,

With all of the threads about partially ash plugged exhausts, you must be very pleased that you have clean running installation.

You obviously must do a consistent daily and weekly cleaning and pay attention to how the stove is burning.

Nice video.

Thanks for sharing.

The amount of ash in the pipe depends on a few things

How often you clean your stove and scrap the heat exchange scrapper.

How good the ash traps are in the stove.
If a stove has clean outs in the stove that you can remove ash (by weekly) in the ash traps Or behind the firebrick this reduces the amount of fly ash that will go into the blower and out the pipe.

How light and fluffy the ash is from your pellets.
Some hard wood pellets have heavy ash and this ash will stay more in the Ash traps or behind the firebrick before it goes into the combustion blower chamber.
Soft wood pellets have light fluffy larger ash that will get sucked into the combustion chamber easy.

I don't have your stove but I watched the video and was impressed. Nice job Steve!

I was surprised how clean most of the vertical looked. I am hoping mine is the same even though configuration is different then yours. I go up about 4-5 feet then horizontal through the wall 3' to termination cap.

abrucerd said:
I don't have a t-cap on my vent... it just has a 90 degree piece then straight up to the roof. Is that normal?

Dunno if it's normal, but with a 90 you'll have to break the seal and remove the piece every
time you wish to clean the vent. Pita imo.

A cleanout T makes it easier to clean the pipe. Easier to clean results
in people actually cleaning more often = better running stove.

abrucerd, is there a tee at the back of the stove? There should be a cleanout tee somewhere near the bottom of the vertical run. mine is just outside as the pipe comes through the wall, and a few times a season I unscrew it and out drops multiple cupfulls of ash. I am going out there to do it today, when I drag my crafstman shopvac over and vac out the entire stove. Actually going to empty the vac and bang the filter against a tree in the woods. you can easily replace your elbow with a tee and cap. probably 30 bucks or so.
Bill

Nope, no T for me... I wonder why they didn't put one in when the previous home owner had it installed. See below.

Attachments

• 0117091816.jpg
    0117091816.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 509
Can a cleanout T be used horizontally? I need a 90 on the back of my stove (installing tomorrow) but it's going out the wall. Would I be able to make the 90 cleanout T horizontal?

thnx for the video, you gave me an idea on how to get my pipe apart when i move the stove this summer.

Firenutz said:
Can a cleanout T be used horizontally? I need a 90 on the back of my stove (installing tomorrow) but it's going out the wall. Would I be able to make the 90 cleanout T horizontal?

It depends what you're doing with the pipe once it goes outside. If it's just a straight horizontal out the wall, then you really don't need a T, but it would make cleaning the pipe easier (you could do it from indoors).

If you're going out through the wall, and then up, I'd put the cleanout T outside, and use that as your "90" to go up.

macman said:
Firenutz said:

It depends what you're doing with the pipe once it goes outside. If it's just a straight horizontal out the wall, then you really don't need a T, but it would make cleaning the pipe easier (you could do it from indoors).

If you're going out through the wall, and then up, I'd put the cleanout T outside, and use that as your "90" to go up.
Well I need a 90 right off the back anyway due to the location I'm putting it in. I'm going through the wall and then up about 9 ft. If I have the T on the back of the stove then I could run one of those flexible brushes through that go on my drill.

Status
Not open for further replies.