A common misconception about wood stoves...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Marty, You have posted some good info....Thanks. I did not mean to create a major controversy with this tread....sorry.

GAMMA RAY said:
Marty, You have posted some good info....Thanks. I did not mean to create a major controversy with this tread....sorry.

thought it was a great thread gamma ;-)

we have never had anyone mention smoke smell in the house,mind you every one i know knows i am strickly a woodstove guy and plus we havent seen the oil guy$ in ten years :cheese:

loon

GAMMA RAY said:

no need to apologize. there is no controversy going on...RIGHT????!!!!!

No controversy on my end...nope. It's all good here. I better re-think my new threads perhaps....I respect everyone and their opinions....

If I am not careful, I get a whiff or two of smoke out of the stove when I reload. This is enough to allow me to smell it throughout the house (except that now I close the door of the room with the stove, and if smoke gets out I open a window until the smell is gone). Anyway, do I have poor draft or is it typical for a little smoke to escape sometimes on reload?

I don't like the smell of smoke in the house so I am pretty careful. I don't think the house smells of wood smoke at all.

Oh Oh, Wood Duck, I don't know what kind of reply you are goin to get.............I am not touchin that...
It's been a little touchy...

The worst smell I have had from burning wood was when we first installed our new furnace in a chimney that was too big. There were gallons of liquid that seeped out of the cleanout on the chimney. Of course the woodfurnace was right in front and picked up that smell and carried it through the house. It was gut wrenching, just horrible. After investigating I realized we had to get a liner. So one year later we have the liner and not a single problem. A couple of weeks ago I got a laugh. A woman I worked with talked about somebody that burned wood. She said they smelled like sausage. I then explained that when burnt properly you would never know.

GAMMA RAY said:
No controversy on my end...nope. It's all good here. I better re-think my new threads perhaps....I respect everyone and their opinions....

No controversy, just information. What you choose to do w/ information is your choice as always (thanks you USA).

It's a good topic.

pen

Marty S said:
You can do that, but if you really stink,
it'll just smell like you're trying to cover up
your stink.

In my book, trying to cover up stink,
that's worse than
a pure honest stink.

Aye,
Marty

+ 1

Wood Duck said:
If I am not careful, I get a whiff or two of smoke out of the stove when I reload. This is enough to allow me to smell it throughout the house (except that now I close the door of the room with the stove, and if smoke gets out I open a window until the smell is gone). Anyway, do I have poor draft or is it typical for a little smoke to escape sometimes on reload?

I don't like the smell of smoke in the house so I am pretty careful. I don't think the house smells of wood smoke at all.

For whatever it's worth, I almost never get smoke from the stove when I reload, only occasionally when I'm starting up a basically cold stove in the morning. But I have superb draft, just short of too much.

Battenkiller said:
GAMMA RAY said:
I have a bird, they say not to burn candles or those wax things, so I stopped years ago but miss the nice smell.

Did not know that. Is that a conure in your avatar photo? We have a maroon-bellied conure named "Dickens". We light candles, burn incense, smoke cigars (boy, do they stink up the place), etc. without a clue that they could be bad for the bird. What does it do to them (if that doesn't seem too stupid to ask)?

I don't get the stink thing, even if you burn garbage. The smoke goes up and out the stack if you're doing it right. Only the neighbors should know if you're burning tires in there, and they will let you know in a hurry.

BK, you've lucked out so far with your bird. Birds are super-sensitive to stuff in the air. You can kill them just by overheating a Teflon-coated pan. Apparently, they're not bothered by cigar smoke, but you should Google around a bit maybe to find out what does cause trouble for them. They're not meant to live indoors, so you do have to be careful. I'd love to have a parrot or parakeet or two, but I'm too prone to overfiring pans and the like unintentionally, so I've given up on the idea because of that problem. Last thing I'd ever want to do is accidentally kill an animal I'm responsible for.

pen said:
GAMMA RAY said:

What you choose to do w/ information is your choice as always (thanks you USA).

pen

am i missing something here?

why does she keep getting knocked ??? it was a good question at first then stuff went south :coolmad:

loon

I have never been inside a house that had a wood stove and noticed a stink except my mother in law. She burns a lot of her garbage and has leaky duct work in her crawlspace which creates negative air pressure in her house.

Everybody I have ever known that has a wood burning fireplace has a house on those spring days that smells like fireplace and chimney. Perhaps that is what they are talking about.

This thread is hilarious. Pen your comment about if I die of third hand anything had me rolling. I have some issues with smoke pouring in my house because I messed something up when installing my osburn. But i just run a bathroom fan for like 20 minutes when it gets stinky and the stink goes away. BTW I will be fixing this issue soon.

but i kind of like the smell of smoke sometimes. Oak is ok. Sugar Maple is great. Locust is the worst ever. Fir is nicey nice. So I don't mind the stinks. My wife is very sensitive to the stinks so I need to keep it clean as possible. Anyway, let the sarcasm fly. I'm loving this thread.

What a buzzkill.

DaFattKidd said:
. Sugar Maple is great. Locust is the worst ever.

next year will be the first time burning locust but after seeing this i think it might just stay over on the farm %-P

about a cord came down in a big storm last summer also some maple..

loon

there are 2 big locusts on the left of screen.

DSC07590.jpg

DSC07592.jpg

I wouldn't let that locust go to waste. That is a lot of BTU's there. If your stove is working properly and you allow it to season (as it should) you won't have any problems.

pen

BeGreen said:
I've been in houses where you could definitely tell they were burning wood. Almost always it was either an open fireplace or an older stove with very poor draft. When draft reverses in the cold flue and the chimney becomes an air intake, it leaves a really ugly smell in the house.
That can also happen when the operator forgets to open the bypass before the load door. Oops!
:red:

sometimes it might be green wood and a slow fire that causes the unappreciated aroma. my brother has an earth stove too big for his addition so he burns it slow often causing creasote and you can smell it sometimes. also, heavy summer rains sometimes bother mine as heavy rain can get blown into the pipe or the low pressure sometimes "back drafts" the stove and you can smell the stove. Normally i just make sure all the drafts are closed, to include the damper in the pipe and it cuts it out. sometimes a samll fire to heat up the pipe helps, if its not 90 outside.

cass

pen said:
I wouldn't let that locust go to waste. That is a lot of BTU's there. If your stove is working properly and you allow it to season (as it should) you won't have any problems.

pen

not a very good pic (out the front window) but here is the pile of locust i pushed up last summer, definitely wont go to waste pen as i might even start cutting it today and it will be going in leo's woodstove next season ;-)

loon

will get a better picture later...

DSC_0099.jpg

GUYZ:

Here's a home fire (my basement) that produces

* no aroma or smoke (aka stink)
* no volatile gases (it burns clean)
* LOTS of heat (2 - 3 X hardwood)
- it's heating my entire house (1900 sf up, 1500 sf down)
[an exception to the local area heater principle]

Yup, it's ANTHRACITE (mined in the USA).
* over 90% pure carbon, almost no moisture
* the hard clean burning coal (it's younger brothers: dirty lignite, bituminous)
* long term storage, does not rot, no bugs

If you're not stimulated to trade your old wood burner up to a wood/coal burner,
try this. Get some anthracite (about $5/40 lb bag).

Put it under millions of tons of pressure for millions of years and you'll have
* graphite.

Put the graphite under millions of tons of pressure for millions of years and you'll have
* a diamond in the rough

How can you pass it up?

Aye,
Marty

Attachments

• IMG_0054.jpg
    IMG_0054.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 397
Marty S said:
If you're not stimulated to trade your old wood burner up to a wood/coal burner,
try this. Get some anthracite (about $5/40 lb bag).

Put it under millions of tons of pressure for millions of years and you'll have
* graphite.

Put the graphite under millions of tons of pressure for millions of years and you'll have
* a diamond in the rough

How can you pass it up?

Talk about a high-pressure sales pitch!

Oh, Oh....

Status
Not open for further replies.