A couple install questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

topgunben

Dec 3, 2020
Southern Washington
I am installing an older stove (Avalon Rainier) in my house, and I am working with very little room to run my chimney pipe.

I was told 2 things by the wood stove sales person today that I just want to verify as correct, or incorrect

• CLAIM 1 - Galvalume/Galvanized Class A and Stainless Steel Class A can not be used with each other because they will cause electrolysis and I will fail my inspection if I do so. (I planned on using the galvalume in my attic space, and then transitioning into Stainless once out in the open)
    • This one is less important, although annoying because I bought the Chimney pipe already from a retailer in Portland OR and now I'm being told by someone else that this is wrong.

• CLAIM 2 -If the stove instructions say that the chimney pipe needs to be 10-1/4" off combustibles, that is what you have to follow, rather than the pipe manufacturer instructions that say 6" clearance to combustibles.
    • This one if more important to me because, my stove pipe goes up at a very slight angle, and by the time it will enter into the support box, the stove pipe will be 9.5" off the wall, and the back wall of my stove pipe will be 9.5" off the wall (the stove pipe is inset 3/4" from the back of the stove). I can not move the support box away from the wall as framing members prevent me from doing so.

Thanks in advance.

A couple install questionsA couple install questions

I'm no expert, but isn't this telling you the stove pipe clearances do take precedence?
(assuming "connector" = stove pipe)

A couple install questions

I'm no expert, but isn't this telling you the stove pipe clearances do take precedence?
(assuming "connector" = stove pipe)

View attachment 270182
That’s what I thought. But the reasoning behind the salesman’s claim is that different stoves put out different amounts of heat and so therefore you have to go off what the stove clearances say for the connector. It sounds like complete BS to me, but I’d hate to be wrong and for him to be right.

Reactions: tabner
I think you're on the right track. But maybe wait for someone more experienced than me to confirm.

I thought about it more and I'm doubling down. The stoves rated btus shouldn't matter. The main thing with the stove pipe clearances and certifications is flue gas and chimney fires. Which means they have to be rated to withstand 2000 degrees or something like that for some predetermined amount of time. So it's a standard much higher and separate from whether a particular stove is 30,000 btus or 70,000 btus, etc.
Just my thoughts.

Reactions: andym
The pipe manufacturer is what you go by.
Absolutely not. The appliance manufacturer can always require more clearance to combustibles for listed connector pipe. For unlisted they can require more or less.

But in this case it really looks like those requirements are only at the stove you could offset above to the pipe requirements.

To confirm check with the stove manufacturer